anchors Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » anchors « Previous Next »
By Bill Zollinger (lsupcar) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 10:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What do you guys recommend for a X30 used in lakes and rivers with muddy bottoms. My search mentioned the "box" anchor. Is that still felt to be the best? Thanks. Bill Z

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 10:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The box is definetely one of the finest available, much better than a Danforth. FWIW I personally do not like the bungee anchor lines and prefer an actual stretchy anchor rope. In wind and waves the bungee lines can allow the boat to move too much.

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Get two anchors and a small "lunch hook." Two anchors can be used in current conditions and to keep the stern from swinging. The lunch hook is a small anchor for the shoreline used for very temporary tie-ups. You need 7' of rope for every 1' of depth of anchor. An anchor chain can under some conditions reduce this to 5:1. Use good quality nylon rope, not the cheap poly tow rope. If possible, attach the "bitter end" to the boat permanently, so you don't donate an anchor to the bottom.

By Jonathan French (rock_n_boardin) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the box anchor, for my 22I, a 3700 pound boat and I highly recommend it!!

By Jonathan French (rock_n_boardin) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used it at the Delta last year with some decent wind and a current. My boat did not budge.

By S Dub (sdub) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I use a fluke style, and boat primarilly on Lake Mead, known to be windy. I got one recomended for a 30-35' boat for my 21'r, and use plenty of chain.

Bottom conditions are usually sandy, or some rock and sand. It has always held fine. Cheaper than the box, but, not collapsable.

By Kyle (caliwakeboarder) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The box anchor is the best. Since Iíve got it I have not found a bottom it won't hold on to. The best thing about the box is you don't have to use chain and you can drop it straight down and it will hold you in place. No backing up to set it.

By dane (greatdane) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey, good subject!

I have a big appropriate size danforth anchor on my boat for true anchoring.

Yet, most of the time, I only use the anchor to tie up for a lunch break on the boat with a steady little current and little wind.

So, for these simple lunch tie up, I would like a quick and easy solution. Something that fits into a small bag and supper easy to deal with.

Any ideas?

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 1:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Get a auger anchor. It simply screws into the sand and you tie off to it. It won't hold during a storm, but they are small, lightweight, and can be easily spun in and out with a the cross bar that usually comes with them Do not be tempted by the augers for dogs, definately not strong enough - and I have seen the results of that mistake first hand.

By Bill (00prostar205v) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 7:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice post!

I donated an anchor to the bottom of New Melones last year and need to replace it. I will check out this box anchor mentioned above.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com