Need some good trailer tires. Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Need some good trailer tires. « Previous Next »
By Barry (barry) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 9:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pulling my boat out of the lake yesterday I noticed that two of my tires where bubbled and the other two had really strange wear. You guessed it, Carlisle.
Sooo, I'm looking for some good tires to replace these pieces of junk with. The Goodyear marathons are supposed to be good tires. Are there any other trustworthy tires?

Btw, Carlisle is sending me 3 new tires but I've decided I'm not going to put them on my trailer. Two of them will be for sale if anyone wants them.

B-

By Robert (ag4ever) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I feel cooper tires are the best trailer tires. They are also the most pricy.

They are the only company that will warranty against the sidewalls cracking from age too. You have to get the specific tires with ozone resistance though, not just the standard trailer tires.

By Bobby Mucic (bobbymucic) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I preemptively switched my carlisles with goodyear marathons, 80 bucks a tire at discount tire. On my other boat trailer (single axle), I ran titan tires with no problems over 3000 miles of towing. Both goodyear and titans were recommended when I searched around for replacements.

By Brad Duffy (the_madness) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 9:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just posted this thread http://messageboard.wakeworld.com/MB/discus/messages/3183/104137.html?1079650423.

Based on the recommendation I go there, it sounds like Goodyear Marathons or Cooper's are the way to go. I just got a Goodyear Marathon mounted up on Wednesday to replace the Carlisle I blew up. The Goodyear looks like a much mor roadworthy tire than the Carlisle.

By jan w (jwag) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
goodyear marathons from tirerack.com

By Barry (barry) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Brad, do they tow any different?

B-

By Brad Duffy (the_madness) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I haven't towed with them yet and I've only got one on there right now. I've got three more and a spare coming. I'll leet ya know when I try out the full setup.

By Rick H (blastmaster) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 2:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I got 5 last season @ les Schwabb for $389 total with road hazard. They are great, dont know who makes them for them though. (Hope it"s not Carlisle) they dont look like them.

By Barry (barry) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 6:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I got the Marathons.. man, they pull really nicely. 361.00 out the door. Not a bad price.

B-

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 10:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Are trailer tires somehow better than auto tires? Different? Seems like quality and maybe value would be better in a passenger tire.?.?

By Brad (tazz) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 6:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Barry

I just looked and found I have the Carlisle tires on my 98 VM trailer. How do you go about exchanging them, I heard they had a problem and would exchange them? any info would help.

Brad

By walt (walt) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just went to radials and the trailer seems to ride smother.
I was told that mileage should be better also.

By Bob (bob) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Brad i think they only swap out the tires that were in the defective number range, seems some tires on the left coast were faulty and blowing out.

By Blabelmooch (blabel) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 11:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
All those dead squirrels must wreak havoc on those tires!

By John R (zigzagsd) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 2:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i've had good luck with goodyear marathons on two different trailers. good price, reliable tire.

By Bruce Batcheller (bjbatch) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 7:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Derek - Trailer tires have a different construction than car tires. They have a very stiff sidewall to handle the stress of turning and for load carrying.

The Marathons are the best trailer tires I have seen. They give a very smooth ride. My brother had to replace his Carlisles last year, and he shopped for the Marathons. He ended up with a brand called "Towmaster." According to the shop owner, they are made by Good Year and identical to the Marathons. He got them for a lot less than the Marathon's so you may want to check those out for another option.

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 7:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Bruce!

By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 9:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm having Marathons put on tomorrow. 4 tires installed and balanced for $398 out the door. Bye bye crappy Carlisles.

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 9:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
not all carlisle tires had the defect so i hope people arent out there thinking if they have carlisle tires they are all destined to blow out??

By john (john) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Had Carlisle tires on toy trailers for years, without a problem. Last year, experienced 2 blowouts of the Carlisles on my boat trailer.( The second occurred as I was towing out to Extreme Trailers to get the damage from the first blowout repaired. ) Carlisle was great to deal with on replacement tires and Goodyear picked up the tab for all trailer damage. For a time Goodyear was manufacturing Carlisle's radial tires for them. No longer the case. FWIW.

By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did have the kind of Carlisles that have the defect. I verified that.

I tow with lead, and I tow to the kind of place where you don't want to have a blowout, so the peace of mind that $400 spent on quality tires will give me is well worth it.

By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i see what you mean on towing to secluded areas and have a bit more quality connecting you to the road

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com