How do you care for your TEAK wood pl... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » How do you care for your TEAK wood platfrom? « Previous Next »
By Nick (nbeihl) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 9:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How do you care for your TEAK wood platfrom? I have heard many things from using Teak oil to leaving it alone because it is naturally an oily wood? Any suggestions.... should I oil it up? If not what do you do to make sure it lasts a long time....

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There's a bunch of info on this subject on this board. Try a quick search and I'll bet you'll find what you're looking for...

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The only difference Nick is looks. Teak will naturally grey out and last quite a long time.

It will last longer with regular oiling though.

Teak oil, BTW, is about an 80/20 mix of Tung oil and Mineral Spirits with a tad of color mixed in. Tung oil will take forever to dry if you don't add the Mineral Spirits.

Beware though, a freshly oiled platform will be slippery for a couple days even when it's in the water.

By Bryce (sandman) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Rhino liner has worked best for me
Haven't touched it in 4 years
Tige

By robert hunter (lake_side) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
alot depends on if the boat is in the water or out of water most of time.I would clean it up a little lightly sand any rough or porrus areas.then use tung oil,put a glove on and rub it into wood rub it till you feel it get warm then you no your getting it deep in wood.If is not in the water the sun is the bad deal after pulling boat out of water or least by next day wipe it down with regular motor oil.

By Maverick LTD (maverick_gear) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I got mine Rhino Lined it looks sick and has 0 Maintainance!!

By Rod Rinnert (deltahoosier) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How much to do the Rhino Liner?

By Mike (dezy) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 7:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is the rhino liner abrasive or otherwise hard on the bottom of boards or skis?

By walt (walt) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think the teak looks better than the Rhino liner IMHO .

By Ryan (easyrider) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 8:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
haha my buddys dad owns Rhino Linings....thats sorta funny. NEVER thought about doing the decks with it, mhmmm.

By Tony (tonym) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 6:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The teak will grey out if you do not use a deep cleaner before applying the teak oil. But, when mine did that I used some deck stripper from Lowes and reapplied the oil and the deck looks brand new. I ordered the teak on my 04 CC Super Air 210 Team. I think that the teak platform looks better than the composite.

By Rich's Rule (gunz) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't sand mine anymore.If I keep doing that,it will dissappear!Instead use Teak cleaner,and then oil it up.As far as how often to do it,just keep checkin it.

By Daniel Galloway (mississippireb) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 8:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do a yahoo or google search for Starbrite Teak Wood Care Kit. Includes a deep cleaner, a brightner, and oil. You can get the whole kit for as little as $22. Overtons and Ski limited also have them.

By Bryce (sandman) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 9:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Actually it is covered in Alpha liner (very similar to Rhino). No it is not abrasive, does not get hot, does not fade, and is not slippery. I don't remember exactly what I paid but I want to say around $100. Stay away from Line-X however which is very abrasive.

I get many compliments/inquiries about it out on the water from other boat owners. I can try to get some closeup pics this weekend if anyone is interested.

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 9:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do you get a lot of compliments on that metcraft tower as well?

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 9:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I couldn't make myself cover teak up. I really like the look of it. I use a combo cleaner/brightener. Basically it's an acid that takes the top layer of teak off with some scrubbing. Oil it up and looks good as new.

By Bryce (sandman) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 10:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's not a Metcraft. Why do you ask?

By Sean M (magic) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I replaced mine with a one made of marine grade wood, rhino-lined and then carpeted with marine grade carpet.

Works great and requires zero work to keep looking good.

My teak step has been in storage ever since.

I found that the rhino-liner was hard on wakeboards, Skyskis and people. That is why I carpeted it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com