Super Air 210 Nautique TE vs Malibu W... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Super Air 210 Nautique TE vs Malibu Wakesetter VLX « Previous Next »
By Geoffrey Bodle (travlinman) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 11:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am about to buy either a 2003 Super Air 210 Nautique TE or a 2003/04 Malibu Wakesetter VLX ....Which boat has the better wake? and which boat has a better interior? I have looked at both pretty extensively but would like to know opinions from people who have owned/or know someone who owned either over a longer term....Thanks.

By Sam C (samcdog) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 4:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Geoffrey (nice spelling)

I purchased the SAN because I liked the keyless ignition, gauges, sun deck, interior, warranty, etc.. I don't have a family so a lot of room isn't real important to me. I have never had a problem with space on the SAN, but the Malibu does have more storage. The Malibu was a very close second. Which ever one you choose I am sure you be very happy. They are both great boats.

Geoff (acutally Geoffrey too, but I go by Geoff)

By DJL (dholio) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 6:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 9 year old Nautique and NO issues with the vinyl whatsoever. In my opinion they are a really well built and designed boat.

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 6:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ive worked on both boats and the one thing that should seperate the two is which wake you like better. They are both great boat(Malibu has a bigger cooler)but the SAN has 15-12 volt adaptors which I think is sweet if your going to run extra phatsacs. The Malibu has a little more storage space but the SAN has more cupholders. I do like how the SAN is wired. Nothing under the ski locker, its ran through the gunnes instead. I could go on but I would help you even less with every statement I made. Its all about the wake!!!

By Geoffrey Bodle (travlinman) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 11:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the feedback bigasswake....so if it's all about the wake...which one has a better wake?

(Message edited by travlinman on March 18, 2004)

By merlin lucas (mklucas) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 12:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They are both excellent!!! Who ever you are thinking of buying it from shouldn't have a problem taking you out on the water for a test drive/ride - dealers have demo boats for just this reason, and an owner should be happy to do so. It's personal prefference, try it for yourself.

By Jarabacoa (jarabacoa) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 4:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You should also consider depreciation. That was probably the biggest factor in my decision after comparing everything between the two boats.

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 5:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The best wake is the one you prefer!!! Ride behind each boat, and see what you like better. There is no one "best" wake.

SAN wake: Steep, rock solid

VLX wake: more rampy, longer transition

By malibudude (malibudude) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 8:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you want to know the comparison in wakes, you should take out each boat and weigh it as you would normally ride. This will give you a true account and answer to you're question. Which has the best wake is purely subjective as each had their own personal likes that may vary from yours.

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 10:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
SAN = Half pipe(straight up)
VLX = launch ramp(longer transtion)

IMO both boats hold there value really well. Look through the boat trader and just see what people are asking for them. I chose the VLX because the value(less expensive) and I needed the storage room. You cant go wrong with either boat, its all about the money now.

By Porter (mikep) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 10:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's my opinion on the two wakes. I ride behind both boats regularly:

- The SAN has a very steep, hard and big wake. You don't have to put that much weigth in it to get it really big. 1500 pounds will probably do it. If you like a really steep bucking wake, the SAN is really nice.

- The Wakesetter has more of a rampy wake and it takes a bit more weight to get big. I feel that you need 2000 pounds or more to make real big. The wake has a very good transition that is easy to charge. The other thing that's nice about a Setter though is the wedge. If you do prefer a steep wake, deploy the wedge and it gets much steeper.

Bottom line, if you like a really steep wake the SAN can't be beat. If you like rampy, the Wakesetter is perfect. The versitility of the wedge can make the Wakesetter wake steep as well. Be sure to ride behind both of them fully weight before you buy. You can't go wrong with either wake.

(Message edited by mikep on March 19, 2004)

By Troy Lindstrom (troyl) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 2:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 03 SAN and my good friend has a 04 VLX.

I think the wake question was answered well by peter.
Neil...where are the other 10 12v outlets in my san?

I like the quiet ride (less wake/hull slap) of the SAN in rough water, but the VLX is smoother in rough water.

I like the fact that I can hide 5 wakeboards, a wakesurf board, and a wake skate (7 total) in compartments in my SAN. (but nothing else)
(2 of 5 wakeboards with no bindings)

6 peeps in a VLX have more room, plus lots of storage for backpacks etc. , but board storage on the road is limited. VLX seems even bigger than it really is, while SAN seems smaller than it really is to me. VLX has significantly better slow speed handleing.

My owners goggles tell me the SAN feels more solid.

By dane (greatdane) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 3:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check out the table in my profile.
I believe in it.
Only the VLX gets better with the wedge.
My ratings are not taking into account the wedge.

By dsmalls (lakeday) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 3:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
about the depreciation....have you ever thought that resale value of the high dollar boats is so high has more to do with the high dollar loan that must be paid off with the proceeds of the boat sale rather than the boat actually holding up better? I know if I owed 40k on a boat I would have a hard time justifying selling it for 35k no matter how the boat was performing. Just something to think about.

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was just making an assumption about the 12v adaptors. I love the fact that they are everywhere. Thats all

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
dane (greatdane) I have to dissagree that the VLX gets last place for wake and build. Where in the world did you come up with these ratings? And why wasen't the wedge considered in at time of testing? most vlx's have them.

Do all the SAN have velcrow holding the seats in place or is that just the 02' 03' models?

(Message edited by bigasswake on March 19, 2004)

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The velcrow that holds the seats

By dane (greatdane) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Neil, my VLX does not have a wedge. In fact, it was offered on every other BU boat but the VLX in 2000. This is why I did not include the wedge.

Besides, it's not like I think the VLX wake is bad -- I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. In fact, with the wedge the BU wake is probably a 4.5. Next, take into account the fact that the BU surf wake is awesome and the boat becomes even more appealing.

I am ready to pull the trigger on a new VLX the minute they make a major improvement too it. A bigger gas tank alone would cause me to get the boat with the wedge and the skylon tower. I would also like a slightly more steep wake. For me its not about getting a "good" boat, its about getting a better boat.

By dane (greatdane) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 12:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Also, regarding build, I absolutely feel BUs are great but MCs and CCs are better.

My boat has had a bunch of issues...

1) vinyl tears on the back rest
2) vinyl pulling away from hatch knobs
3) heater falling off the kick wall
4) BU specific perfect pass gauge failures

Plus there are other failure mode issues.

1) vdrive bolts without safety pins
2) wedge bolts without shear pins

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 12:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
OK but why the last place on build. And 4 out of 5 doesent really count when nothing is lower than 4. I looks more like a 1.2.3 system to me. just my .02

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 12:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What about the spider crack problem i've some MC have and the velcrow that SAN have on there seats? Also cooler size and quality should go into build section. If im correct your 00' dosent have the monster VLX cooler. I have 600+ hours on my VLX and have had no problems with the heater.I do like the cup holder placement on the SAN, also the fact that the rear storage can actually hold a board is a plus. The flightcontrol tower also gives alot of extra headroom. But malibu's now can get an optional illusion X tower.

Ah hell, buy them both

By dane (greatdane) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 12:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The SAN has many many faults. I will not go into them because everyone has heard my opinion on this and I don't need any more grief about it. Notice that the SAN is the only boat with a RED mark in my table.

I reward the VLX with the best best best INTERIOR because of the SPACE and STORAGE. I put vinyl quality issues into BUILD.

You love your under the seat cooler -- I love my behind the drivers seat full sized cooler. For me this is ideal as my boat lives at my dock and my cooler lives in my garage next to the fridge. Plus, the cooler makes for a nice step and seat in a pinch.

Still I believe in my table, yet I would probably upgrade the VLX wake to 4.5 taking into account wedge/surf positives.

By shane (auto) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 6:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I looked at the big three, and supra. I have rode behind the big three and supra. I would pretty much agree with most of the points on this board. I bought the VLX because of the QPR. Things I liked about the SAN, Keyless ignition, and cool instrument cluster. The BU won out for dealer and QPR, with SAN and Supra coming in a close second. IMHO, the boats are close, take in the dealer variable as the deciding variable if all things are = in your mind.

By E.J. (deuce) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 9:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't know gretdane but believe in his rating system and this is why...

How many people that own one of the big 3 or even big 6 if you want to include Sanger, Tige and Supra and will place their boat at the bottom of half the areas rated. Comfort, storage and price are the only things that keep it in the running.

Many people get ownership goggles after their 40 K+ investment. All of his "boat" posts seem VERY objective. Plus, they all end up even in the end...and I would be happy to have any of the 3. I have a hard time thinking than anyone would feel any different.

By the way, Cobalt makes the best I/O....nobody is even close...

70+ degrees in SLC the past few days and nowhere near getting out on the water...

E.J.

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you wear the ownership goggles and the boat you have is a lemmon wouldn't that make for a bias choice on which boat you thought was better?

Dane said: (quote)

My boat has had a bunch of issues...

1) vinyl tears on the back rest
2) vinyl pulling away from hatch knobs
3) heater falling off the kick wall
4) BU specific perfect pass gauge failures

Plus there are other failure mode issues.

1) vdrive bolts without safety pins
2) wedge bolts without shear pins

(Message edited by bigasswake on March 20, 2004)

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I do agree that the Nauti has the most powerfull non-heavily weighted wake.
I also will agree that the VLX throws a nasty surf wake

By dane (greatdane) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My boat is not a lemon. Its a great boat. All of the problems I mentioned are native to the boat design. All boats have problems.

I believe the SAN, VLX and X2 are all three great boats with nearly equal amounts of pros/cons. They are all good with differences. And, I attempted to highlight the differences in my table.

We are blessed with this luxury.

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Agreed

My table Basd on a 1-10 scale
SAN TE X2 VLX
10 10 10

Problem Solved

By Thane Dogg (thane_dogg) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 1:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
with either boat you get, you're not gonna be saying, "man, I really wish I would have went with the other boat." It all comes down to which you get a better deal on because both of 'em are bitchin' boats.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com