Old Skool Boat Owners Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Old Skool Boat Owners « Previous Next »
By CBrown (powdrhound) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 7:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey I know these boats throw pretty cool wakes but how are they in rough stuff. we are looking at one but will need to use it in the harbour which can chop up pretty quickly.

By Andrew Adams (wolfpack) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 6:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bigger the better, I have the 24' tige and it's really good in rough water.

By Greg (lucky) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 6:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They can get rough in bad water, but if you just slow down they will handle it fine.

By JimR (jimr) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 7:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Depends on the shape of the hull too of course. My buddy had an old MC Stars and Stripes which had a decent slalom wake but it would beat the crap out of you in rough water. For boarding you'd have to basically sink the boat to get any wake at all. As a general rule when looking at older ski boats, I'd say the better the slalom wake the rougher the ride and the worse the boarding wake. I don't know about you, but running a narrow beam, low gunnel ski boat sunk halfway up the normal freeboard with ballast in a choppy harbor sounds like trouble to me. I'd look for an old Supra Sunsport or even better an old Nautique Excel.

Or on the otherhand you could bite the bullet and buy a newer wakeboarded specific boat... something I myself have been considering for a while now. I'm taking donations if you're interested....

By Craig Isom (cisom) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 8:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I suppose my boat would be considered old, old school. 1975 CC Southwind 20. It's a tank, throws a big wake and has a ton of freeboard. It was never a good slalom boat. I think it has aroud 22* deadrise. It'll beat your brains out in 2'-3' chop or more.

By Rich's Rule (gunz) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 8:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 90 Sanger,does really good in rough water.It's the giant rollers of the Delta,when the boat is weighted down,that are scary.

By salty87 (salty87) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 8:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
old supras, just watch out for rotting floors. or buy cheap and put new floor in.

see my profile, 1987 saltare, 23'. really deep v up front.

are you looking in NZ?

By schooledrider (rmcronin) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 11:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Old Nautiques from the 80's have the best wake for the buck imo. I don't have one but have ridden behind them. Ride before you buy no matter what you decide

By CBrown (powdrhound) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hmmm Thanks for that guys that helps heaps
yeah I am looking in NZ theres one for sale for 6800NZ (about 4K USD) with a tower and boarding platform. heres a link to it
http://www.wake.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3767#3767
we're going up to check it out this weekend

(Message edited by powdrhound on March 18, 2004)

By salty87 (salty87) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
you might get a nice wake out of that, but much chop will wear you out. that boat has a flat bottom in the back and low sides. it'll be a wet, choppy ride, too.

the foot pedal for gas sounds pretty cool, though.

have you looked at any i/o's? are there more of those than inboards over there?

By CBrown (powdrhound) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 11:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
more i\os and even more outboards we are actually looking at this for a friend of mine as we have so many people wanting to go so we were gonna try and have 2 boats. I have a bayliner with a plumbed in ballast system and the wakes pretty big for an i/o.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com