I need some guidence on amps for towe... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » I need some guidence on amps for tower speakers « Previous Next »
By Greg Pinch (nawakwa1) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 1:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My boat came with Kicker KX 300.4 amp that runs my 10" Polk Momo sub and four 6 1/2" Polk Momo speakers through a Sony head unit.
I am about to purchase pair of the Fusion T combo tower speakers which are a 6 1/2", a 5 1/4" and a tweeter on each side. I currently have wiring that goes through my tower to run five lights.
Ok...what do I need to purchase to run the tower speakers such as an additional amp or replacement amp, wiring harness and fader switch.

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 2:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Depends on how involved you want to get... What's your budget? Minimum, you'll want a new 4 CH amp, stereo wire, and some RCA splitters and a new long RCA to come out of the head. You can get away without the disconnect, depending on the tower you have. You don't "need" a fader, but it's nice to have so your not having to mess with the fader on the head unit. Those fusions are pretty sweet looking...
By Greg Pinch (nawakwa1) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 2:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the reply.
I want it to be simple. I have to be able to turn off the tower speakers as we are on a quiet lake. So a loud system is not the top priority.
Which amp would you suggest and why?

By Greg Pinch (nawakwa1) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 2:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
From what I understand I pehaps should use my existing Kicker KX 300.4 to run my tower speakers and buy a kick ass amp to run my main system.

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 3:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Again, it depends on how much you're looking to spend. Since you're looking for simple, get a 400w US Acoustics. Relatively inexpensive and very effective in my opinion. Plenty of control on them. I have one for my tower speakers. You could go digital also. Those amps are bada$$ and run high power and don't get hot.
As far as a switch, just put a two way switch in between the head unit "power on" output and the amp. Easy on/off. Or add a gain controller in the RCA's. I haven't seen a pic of one installed in an accessible location though. A switch can be installed on your panel next to the capt. chair in an empty slot if you have one.. If you only go the gain control way, you'll always be running your amp even if you don't need it. Best bet is install both.

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 3:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Better yet on the amp, one other suggestion is to go with 6CH US Acoustic, getting the value and being able to run 4 interiors and a sub at the Amp's full capacity.
By Greg Pinch (nawakwa1) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 5:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Which model 6CH US Acoustic would you be referring to?
Are 6 CH amps common?
I would be interested is spending around $500.

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 5:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That my friend...is a good question. Sorry bout that. I assumed they made one. ..you know what they say...

My bad. I've only used DHD, Coustics, and US Acoustics so I can't vouch for the others.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.