Amp question Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Amp question « Previous Next »
By Tim W (brick) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 8:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I know there is a lot of stereo experience on this site, so I'm asking for a little help. I'm looking for probably two amps, three if necessary, to power a system I'm putting together. I'm looking for a good quality amp to supply my 10" Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1D sub (350 RMS) and 4 stock Clarion 1622s. Should I use a mono block for the sub or will a five channel work? I plan on using an additional amp for the tower speakers. Thanks for any help!

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 8:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
IMO. If your trying to create a SQ (sound quality) system for your car and you only want to use 1 amp, a 5 channel amp is your best bet. But you say your thinking of using 2 amps so why dont you just add the 3rd amp for your Kappa. I think 1 10inc is not enough for a boat because so much sound is lost and you will be up grading So I would count on going with a bigger amp and powering at least 1 -12inc. alot of music is Bass heavy and to have 1 10inc do all that work is asking alot, but it also depends on what sounds good to you, Im on the overkill side and then turn it down if its to much.

By Holby (holbywan) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 5:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with Grant. Go with the 12" Kicker L7 (or equivelant) and a decent sized monoblock Class D amp. Couple of tips, build a nice enclosure, stuff Polyfill or equivelant in it (huge difference), run everything for the sub at 2 Ohms if possible. Two amps is plenty unless you're running tower speakers. Then you might need three. I am running a 300 Watt Alpine Class D Monoblock with that Kicker sub and it thumps. I'm going to fool around with the Kicker KX 700.5 5 channel amp in a few weeks to see how it performs but you cannot go wrong with separates.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com