Future Malibu Wakesetter VLX Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Future Malibu Wakesetter VLX « Previous Next »
By dane (greatdane) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do you think Malibu will redesign their flagship wakeboard boat?

What would you like to see?

I would like the following:
- a slightly more steep wake
- a bigger gas tank
- a standard traditional functional tower
- automatic wedge deploy
- solid center ballast tank (do they have this now?)

By Tom Barnard (tlb) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Add a wedge to a SAN and your in!

(Message edited by tlb on March 16, 2004)

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 1:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Automatic adjustable foil angle to give the boat lift on startup and downforce once on plane.

By cabalisticfire (cabalisticfire) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 6:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an '03.
The wake shape is good. There are other boats out there if you prefer a different shape.
I wouldn't mind a bigger gas tank.
There are already 3 tower options including the Skylon Swoop which about as traditional as it gets.
Auto wedge deploy sounds like something else to have break. It's too easy to just flip it up and down manually to be worth changing.
Center ballast is already there. On mine it's a bag inside a hard plastic box. Works as expected, can't see changing it unless it were to add more weight.

One thing I would like to see is a gauge that shows how full your ballast is.

By Chad Miranda (forwaken) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 7:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
-add more weight to the rear (and this seems to be more personal preference)
-how long are your days? cause my 03 will last us all day of hard riding, I don't need anymore than all day worth of gas
-I am not sure what you mean here
-I have heard that malibu is working on this and trying to get it in on there 05's, but like cabalisticfire said, more to break and it sounds like another lawsuit crazy greg just waiting to happen
-Yes they have this already, but only in the 23 footers, rumors is that this will crossover to the VLX's next year as well.

I don't think they will completely overhaul, but instead alter a few things
-Change the paint scheme to match the 23 footers
-I personally would like to see them get away from the tribal theme.
-try to figure a place to put a similar sized ice chest where people don't have to get up to get to it
-instead of a bigger gas tank, try to get better fuel consumption similar to the SAN
-change the rear tanks to lay flat on the bottom of the deck instead of hanging them on the side.
-better heater port placement

I'll post more when I think of them.

By Wkerat (wkerat) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 8:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think Chad covered it all except:

All vlx'c coming off the line since January (maybe a few before) have had the hard center tank as well...Also, I know Malibu asked the dealers what they wanted upgraded in the future and also watches MBO for advice. I have been told that they have prototypes for a power wedge but as people here have said they worry about it breaking too much so it may be a possible option seperate form the manual wedge.

By Wkerat (wkerat) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 8:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
oh i forgot to answer the question, lol...
I would love to see:
- A smaller more useful cooler or a way to chamber off the cooler.
- More Factory ballast
- Easier ways to run wiring for stereo installs, etc.
- A seat option like the supra where you can move it so you can ride looking back
- better speaker placement (front is a pain to replace/put new ones in, rear fire at yoru feet)

By Alan (exodous) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 9:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
100% Handlaid fiberglass, get rid of the hyrdoponic dampening system, get rid of the wedge and get a hyrdaulic wakeplate. Make hard tanks UNDER the deck. Change the vinyl wrapped dash, wait, change the dash all together. Use a better vinyl, make a wider walkthrough, add styling above the rubrail, get rid of that hideous backwards tower, give me some storage in the direct drives. um.......well, all new boat I guess.

(Message edited by Exodous on March 17, 2004)

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 9:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Although having a hydraulic wedge might be more to break it would also give it the ability to move out of the way on impact similar to an outdrive (See ugly past thread).

Now I have wondered for awhile why someone has not designed a reverse hydroplane boat that is computer controled for side to side and wake shape. Four "wedges" in the water would allow alot of controls to be had like dial a wake! Pick a number between one and fifty and that is the number you punch into a keypad whenever it is your turn to ride. On start up as Darren said it changes angle to allow a faster more effecient start, then builds you the perfect wake.

Expensive? Heck Yeah! Would it sell? When the ProTour uses it and everyone is convinced it is the best, YES!

By dane (greatdane) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 1:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bigger gas tank - heck ya! It sucks having to fill up mid day. A SAN gets 15-20% better economy and it has 15% bigger gas tank - RANGE MATTERS.

The 3 tower options detracts from the BU image. I would very much prefer ONE very good standard fully functional folding factory tower.

By Mike Martin (ichoop) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 2:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't own a malibu but my brother in law does. I am always worried that I will forget to pull the wedge up and fly across the lake at 40. Some type of dashboard light or gauge to tell you it is down would be a good idea.

By Daniel Galloway (mississippireb) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 3:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I definately would not take away the different tower options. Being in the manufacturing business, I understand how important it is to give the consumer choices. People resent being limited. There are probably people who have decided on a 'bu with one type of tower that would have chosen a different boat if that tower had not been an option.

By Bennett (wakehype) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 5:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hah. I am reminded of a time at lake shasta on a houseboat trip we were wakeboarding in the cove past sunset and our rider noticed a sheriff comming in the distance. He (owner of the boat) started to throw his hand down insistantly as for us to drop the throttle. Anyways, we did, we got up to about 32 or 33 with people, water weight and the wedge down.

The boat started to tap across the lake it was funny, any faster and I bet the rear end would have come off.

By malibudude (malibudude) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 5:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Peter,

Just have to ask how would a hydraulic wedge system prevent anything when you hit something submerged? Why change something that takes less than 15 sec to change.

By Ryan Newcomb (jnewcom) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 7:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an 03 now, and the only thing I can think of would be better upolsterey. I've had a few problems with mine starting to tear at the seems. Most all of my friends have master crafts, and I really like theres. Master crafts seem to be more comfortable and have more cushion as well. I would never have a master craft but i do like their seats.

By dane (greatdane) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 7:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Malibudude, does you TV still have a dial? :>)

By DJL (dholio) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 7:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ryan I will agree with their vinyl being a little lower quality. Have you checked out the Nautique comfort and vinyl? MC is a higher grade vinyl than the Malibu though

By Ryan Newcomb (jnewcom) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 8:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a friend with a 02 Super air, I love the boat and the wake. Its the only wake I have found that i like just as good as the malibu. The only thing I have to complain about is the room in it. I always have a ton of people in my boat, and it just seems small in his boat. They might have changed now, but his boat just seems small inside.

By dane (greatdane) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The problem with the hydrolic wedge is that fact that the boat needs to be stopped when it goes up and down. Thus, I can understand why it has stayed so basic for so long.

By malibudude (malibudude) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 9:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dane,

I'm all for improvements and advacncements but still don't see that a hydraulic wedge system is going to improve things. Have to stop to get a rider out or low/raise it anyway. How would the wedge of this of this format change hitting anything submerged?

PS I still do have a dial TV works great to pick up raiders games for my friends out of Chico

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 9:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Funny how DJL can even throw a mention of a Nautique in on a Malibu thread.

By Bill Johnson (bigj) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
DJL & Ryan:
WTF are you thinking? Do your homework before you post on these threads.

Malibu =38oz G&T vinyl
Mastercraft =34oz G&T vinyl
Nautique =34oz G&T vinyl.

By Ryan Newcomb (jnewcom) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Considering i own a malibu, only a year old and its ripped in 5 places, I don't think I need to do my homework, all I'm saying is that master craft has more comfortable seats, i don't give a **** about whats on paper

By Bill Johnson (bigj) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think you mean your dad owns a Malibu, Therefore you dont give a ****.

By Bennett (wakehype) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
my dad and mom "own" my Malibu, but I clean it, detail it, whipe it down when we get it out of the lake, clean the upolstry, vacum, organize, the list goes on.....

By Ryan Newcomb (jnewcom) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 1:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
No actuall I OWN MY ******* MALIBU, if it's any of your business. I don't understand your deal, why u have to sit their and bad mouth people, I know what i'm talking about with my malibu. I don't know what u have and I don't care, I'm just talking about experiences with mine, I have actually owned two, the previous being a 98 VLX, which had no problems witht he vinyl, with this new boat I have had some problems, so besides whatever they are putting in there, my new 03, which isn't even a year old, has had 3 seats replaced. So before you go running your mouth listen before you start writng a bunch of **** on here

By zach (klk) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 1:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
just as i stated in my boat or non boat owners.
i agree with your anger ryan.
proud boat owner myself

By zach (klk) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 1:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i saw earlier about how someone wanted to make sure the boat was even side to side. rather than four wedges it would be easier to just put a trim tab on each side like larger fishing boats do to keep them balanced. you can buy them at overtons, ones that will fit any boat, i have seen them on many boats and i have a lenco on the back of my boat but thats for other reasons. none the less two trim tabs would make it very easy to make the boat even out.

By Ryan Newcomb (jnewcom) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 1:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with that too Zach alot of times we have to move alot of people around in the boat to make sure the wake is even on both sides, but I'm sure thats true with most boats, I don't mind doing it. The reason I'm getting mad at thgis dude is because the thread say "if you could change something what would it be" and I stated what I would change. Thats exactly what I did and this dude started telling me I should do research before I posted something. I have loved both of my malibu's and wouldn't get anyhting else, the seat is just a minor issue, if thats all that goes wrong with my boat I will be very happy

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Some people sure come across as jealous on this site. Why couldn't a 20 year old own a boat. Why does it matter anyway. Like Bennett said, a lot of the time the kids are doing most of the work anyway. My parents always promoted what was theirs was the whole families, no matter who paid for it. Some young people make a lot of money, get used to it. Some of us went to school so we could own nice things before we were 40, others are working now hard so they can buy these toys. That really pisses me off when someone makes a comment like that. A lot of times people think they know so much more on this forum because they are older, though I would bet I have been around tournament boats longer than most people on this site even though I am 24.

OK, venting done!

By Matt Cour (mcsammamish) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Zach, if you added trim tabs to either side of the boat they would create wierd lines or disturbances to the wake making it not as clean. They basically create second chine lines like the bottom corners of the boat do which it will more than likely make the wake softer by disrupting it.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well malibudude have you ever heard of the impact strike function on a Mercruiser outdrive? What it does is if you impact a solid object the outdrive can move up allowing the boat to travel over the object with minimal damage, then automatically returns to its previous position. Now I know you saw the post about the Wedged Malibu that ripped a gaping hole in the transom. If that wedge had been able to swing back out of the way do you think the same amount of damage would have happened? My opinion FWIW would be that the wedge would have been destroyed but there would be no damage to the boat other than maybe running gear. Surely no GIANT hole in the back.

I am looking forward to riding behind a Wedged VLX on Sunday :-)

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh and putting the wedge up and down in the cold winter water SUCKS! I would get an automatic one even if it could only be raised and lowered when in Nuetral.

By Rod Rinnert (deltahoosier) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Me too....

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How about an adjustable foil running off the bottom of the tracking fins. It would pull the boat down from the center instead of the rear. You could run it off a worm drive like Taps 2.

By Ryan Newcomb (jnewcom) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 4:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think the wedge thing is a good idea. It would be nice, but it just seems like you would have a lot of problems with it, like messing up (another thing to have to worry about). It would be nice though. by the way, dis anyone else have the problem with the vinyl running and kind of tearing on the stitching like i talked about above? My dealer has already ordered new seats so its not a big deal, just wondering.

By Jim West (west) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 5:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
uhh Mr. Bill,
I think the start of this thread asked what you would like to see change on the malibu. I'm pretty sure that noone else on this thread is giving facts...just opinions. That's what this whole thread is about. I think Nick hit the nail on the head!!!!!! So let people be entitled to their own opinion and QUIT HATING!!!!!!!!!!

By John (hyperryd) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 6:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Let's see:
The lower hull shape of a SAN.
The interior room and the PureVert ballast fill of the Calabria.
The two speed tranny and the ballast tanks of the MB Sport.
The tower of the X Star.
Keep all of the great features that Malibu already has and you have a killer boat.
IMO

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com