Mounting a " I-pod" Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Mounting a " I-pod" « Previous Next »
By Grant (whitechocolate) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wanted to know if any of you have these mounting arms to hold your I pods. I wanted a thing that holds the Ipod safe and secure. I have not found anything so far that I would think about using. So before I go off and make my own I wanted to know what you have seen or can suguest

This is the Digital Lifestyle Outfitters Ipod car unit it holds the 30 G I pod and charges and transmits a Signal via the FM transmiter, It also have connections so that you can hard wire it and bypass the FM transmitter (because we all know FM transmitters SUCK) This units is close to waht Im looking for but looks like it dosent hold the I pod very good One good doubble up and I could see it taking off it sells for $99 from EverythingI pod.com

This is the Ipod Multi Grip, It looks like Hell but It looks like it holds the Ipod nice. If I could find somthning like this but looked better I think It would be a better start.

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
This Belt clip is another option. I could work it to mount on the dash or some wher close. But I dont want to stick the roud plastic tab on the back of the Ipod, for when I cary it in my pocket.

By jan w (jwag) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How 'bout velcro? Very simple, very effective. You could mount a strip in an unknown location to hide it and right on the dash somewhere for when you need it close by.

By Tom Barnard (tlb) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've been waiting for you to do this Grant. I've looked around also and haven't found anything that would work in the boat. If you end up making something please make two, I'll gladly buy what ever you come up with because we all know it will be sweet!!
BTW, loved the remote mount you made for the new clarion remote. I saw the pic's on Planetnautique.

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tom Im planning on making a mount that looks like the DLO (the first photo) so the Ipod will slide in and dock, just like it does on the table top mount that comes with your Ipod. If I cant find anything in the next few weeks that looks like it will work, Ill start making somthing. Im thinking it would be cool if it had a arm that held the Ipod on its own, Free standing, and the wires ran threw the arm so you didnt see and connections at all. I see there is a unit called Ipod Armor that looks just like a Ipod except its a metal case that the I pod sits in kind of like a coffin. This would hold the I pod and become a mounting platform for the arm???? I dont know just thinking?? Any Ideas

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok I found some Photos'

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
This is the Clear plastic stand with a built in docking peice at the bottom $24

This is the Ipod Armor its jsut a case you have to connect the wire threw the bottom of the case and into the Ipod $48

By Cam Warner (cam_warner) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the iPod armor, and love it so far. Even though you can't really secure it in your boat, it would still be pretty protected. Ive dropped my iPod out of my backpack a few times, taken a few hard falls snowboarding with it, and it still works great. If you can just find a way to secure the iPod armor to your boat, it would be pretty effective.

By jan w (jwag) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think its time for you to start experimenting with fiberglass. I am envisioning a holder that molds into the boat right at the windshield frame using the stock apple dock for wiring. I couldn't find any but look at westcoastcustoms.com. I have seen several of their installs with IPODS mounted.

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jan: I feel ya If I made a mount It woud be all white to match the Ipod, The clear stand has a Ulgy base so im thnking the stock apple moutnig base is going to have to be part of my design, I saw the I pod mount that westcoast customs did for that football player on rides in his H2, But that would work for about 2 seconds in the boat. The mount needs to have way more back boat support it with was going to handle the jolts and bumps
http://store.yahoo.com/speckproducts/newflipstand.html

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 1:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here you go Grant, already with carbon fiber: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3084750504&category=50607

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com