PWC wake sizes and seadoo GTX wakeboa... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » PWC wake sizes and seadoo GTX wakeboard edition « Previous Next »
By Adam Gibson (iwkbrd) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 9:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
To begin with yes I am a responsible law abiding PWC owner that obeys the laws of the water and curteous to other fellow water users so please lets keep the PWC/wakeboarders/boat/etc users are bad stuff out of this thread.

Now that that is out of the way... I realize that PWC wakes are very small(measured in inches) and usually washed out, but I have noticed that at slower speeds(~17mph) my old 55HP 89 seadoo(yep... still works fine) produces a slightly bigger(more defined) wake than my new 2004 seadoo GTX wakeboard edition(155 HP) jetski. I am talking about maybe an inch or so difference. A few inches might not mean much to wakeboarders that use boats, but when we are talking about very small wakes to begin with every inch does make a difference.

I think the reason is that the smaller HP seadoo was struggling to pull the wakeboarder so it tended to plow more. The newer seadoo pulls people up very easily and is longer so it is probably plaining out better. Not to mention that the new PWC is a 3 seater vs the old 89 PWC that barely handles 2 people without flipping over.

Has anyone done any comparisons of wake sizes and wake shapes of the various PWC out there?

I am sure this is well known, but for PWC, I have noticed that the slower you go the better the wake. Has anyone done anything or have any ideas to make the wake produced by a PWC a little more defined instead of washed out?

I started out wakeboarding last spring and still a wakeboarding beginner(can go switch back and forth , butterslides, and small bunny hops) so I have a lot to learn.

Any tips on exercises to do to improve on a PWC would be appreciated too.

note: I realize that a boat is really needed to do most of what wakeboarding is about, but my wife and I decided that we wanted a new boat/PWC because we didn't want to worry about it breaking and PWC is about the only type of water bearing vessel that we could afford new. The other reason we chose a PWC so that we could go into allowed boating areas around the Tampa Bay area that boats can not(shallow) where the water is very calm. Since we are still begginers and do not plan on doing the more dangerous flips and such I think we made the right choice for us.

By jamie (feere2084) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
jetskis are the worst for wakeboarding. I have to jetskis. 2000yamahaXL1200 155HP and 2001 gp1200R 155hp. we use the XL for wakeboarding and it has no wake at all. The most we can do is butterslides and grabes,there's not enough wake to even do a 180 we have had a wakeboard for 5 years but never really used it untill last summer and that will be the last summer with my jetski's. Boats are 100 times better

By Pierce Bronkite (pierce_bronkite) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Adam, Welcome to the site. I don't know about the different wake sizes for PWCs but I can tell you my experience. I wakeboarded behind a 1100 zxi Jet Ski for three years before I bought my boat. In reality you cant do a whole lot of tricks but you can learn a lot of valuable skills that some people don't have who own a boat. One big example would be your edging technique. I learned to fine tune my edging because I had no wake and had to use whatever means possible. Another would be your switch riding...sometimes people in my boat cant tell if I am riding switch or regular(I spent tons of time riding switch and getting comfortable behind my jet ski) You can always learn to hit sliders (if you into that), because like your personal quote says, it does get boring. As long as your doing it with a smile then its all good.

By Andrew Adams (wolfpack) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There's also tons of tricks to do in the flats, 360's, all your surface spins...

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 6:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you want a wake, get a wakeboard boat! PWC are great for when you are hitting sliders and ramps and don't want the wake.

Rod

By connor gerding (wannagowakin) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 7:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Adam, i have the same seadoo (2003) and we use it for everything, wakeboard, wakeska8 and =rails this summer. you can do some tricks and get some air and you CAN do 180's. The wake isnt that big but it will make u better at the basics, also are your board racks removable because we were thinking about buying some if thy're removable

By Adam Gibson (iwkbrd) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 11:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
conner, the wakeboard racks on the 2004 model are easily removable so I assume the 2003 model would be the same. I HIGHLY recommend them. That and the retractible high rise pylon for the rope were the major factors in getting a new PWC for me. I would have stuck with my 89 seadoo if it weren't for those features. It is nice to attach the wakeboards and have them with me whenever I come across a nice calm area without having to carry them. Normally I would just keep the wakeboard in the truck until we needed it but now they are always with me.

For everyone else, thanks for the input. I plan to just keep practicing the basics(switch, slides, butterslide 180's, etc) and just get real comfortable with those. I get behind a boat maybe once or twice a year(not mine), so I don't expect to get any good at jumping wakes any time soon but I will still have fun just doing the basics behind a PWC. I do hope to find someone around the Tampa Bay area with a slider or ramp one day to attempt that. They look pretty dangerous to me though.

By connor gerding (wannagowakin) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 4:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
on the racks do u keep ur bindings facing toward/away from u?i was looking at the catalog and it looks like the board is hitting the deck

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am thinking about selling my VLX and buying a couple of Sea doo's. I know...I know....but my son is the wakeboarder and he is now looking at cars and such. I could sell my VLX and I have enough equity to get 2 new Seadoos cash and have no loan. This would allow me to get him a car in the future. I have had a great run with Malibu, 3 vlx's in 4 years, but now the dealer has closed and the closest guy is 3.5 hours away. Other than my dog who will lose out if I get sea doos, I really can't see any negative. Also gas is so expensive this year.

By Adam Gibson (iwkbrd) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
conner, The wakeboard racks are meant to have the bindings face toward the Sea Doo(with the back of the boot toward the top). I will try to put them the opposite way once later tonight and see if it is even possible without messing up the racks, but the natural curve of the rack dictates that the bindings should face inside.

By connor gerding (wannagowakin) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 1:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
do ur boards scratch the seadoo though?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com