What are these cracks in my hull?!? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » What are these cracks in my hull?!? « Previous Next »
By Sameer Farooqui (blueplastic) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 2:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
After towing the boat back from a wakeboarding trip last weekend, we noticed a bunch of minor cracks in the hull.

We had tied the boat to a dock for a few hours, so the cracks might be caused by the boat smacking the dock because of a big wave. We'll have to add more rubber guards for protection next time. Could hitting the dock have caused these cracks?

Also, what can we do to fix this? Is it serious enough to fix, or should we just leave it?

Picture of cracks

By Sameer Farooqui (blueplastic) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 2:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's a close up pic of the cracks:
Close up

By Kaiser Soze (tattoobling) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 2:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh, dude, I think you are correct about the cause and yes, it's serious enough that you absolutely should fix it. If you're gonna sell it anytime soon that is.

By Mike Martin (ichoop) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 3:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
those look like gel coat cracks to me. Not that serious, but I believe they are kinda expensive to fix. Nothing to worry about other than looks.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 7:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The cracks should be just in the gelcoat and not the fiberglass, just cosmetic.

By joe mcguffin (boatgooru) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 7:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
THOSE CRACKS ARE ONLY IN THE TOP OUTSIDE LAYER KNOWN AS GELCOAT, RED IS THE HARDEST COLOR TO MATCH, YOU CAN ORDER A QUART(THE SMALLEST AMOUNT MIXED) FROM SPECTRUM COLOR $98.50 TYPICAL REPAIR FOR LABOR $150.00 TO $250.00 DEPENDING ON HOW FAR DOWN THE SURROUNDING GEL-COAT MUST BE GROUND DOWN. IT IS ONLY COMESTIC, IF YOU CAN LIVE WITH THEM WATCH CLOSELY TO SEE IF THEY SPREAD, MARK THEM WITH A BLACK ERASE PEN TO TELL. BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS.

By Rod Emerzian (gymboarder) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 8:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joe $98.50 for a quart of gelcoat. I should feel lucky then because I just bought a quart from my dealer for $25.00.
Sameer I would check with your dealer on the price first. I agree that red is a very hard color to match and if you can live with it I wouldnt repair it.
I didnt realize how much other people were paying for gelcoat repairs. The guy I use only charges me $50.00 an hour and his work is first rate. I just had some work done on my boat one shop said $1500.00 (total rip off, and it was going to take 3 weeks) the guy I normally use was $250.00 and I took it in on a tuesday and had it back on staturday.

By Gerrett (gnelson) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 9:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Rob,

Im thinking about fixing some scratches in my gel coat and was wondering who you used. I noticed you have a Centurion and was curious if your refering to Ron at Olivers in Fresno.

By Rod Emerzian (gymboarder) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 7:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gerrett,
I purchased the gelcoat from Ron at olivers but had Belmont Marine do the actual work on the boat. I have known Kenny as belmont for a long time and he does first rate work. Im not sure if you know this but Kenny is the one who helps supreme with their hull design and interior layout. You wont be dissappointed. Ill try to take some picture of the work he did for me.

By Bill Johnson (bigj) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Correct me if I am wrong but is that a correct craft. What year and model?

By Tony Carroll (blindsiderider) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Rod great to hear that about Belmonts prices. My friends dad bought his first boat from Belmont 18 years ago and watched them lay the fiberglass in the molds.

By Sameer Farooqui (blueplastic) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 8:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Actually, Bill, the boat is a 1999 Toyota Epic 22.

I'm going to call a few boat shops in the Orlando area and get quotes on the repair. Boat Tree in Orlando quoted $800 to fix this after looking at the two attachments and an email explanation! I'm guessing this is something covered under Boat US insurance?

Any recommendations for boat shops that can do this kind of work well in the Orlando area?

By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 7:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sam in light of any negative responses i may get ill ask anyway.......why should your insurance company pay for your negligence of not docking correctly by installing fenders or bumpers or in high traffic areas suspending your boat between pillings the dock or any combination thereof to prevent hitting the dock with such force? Doesnt the owner have any responsibility anymore??

Oh yea, sorry about your boat dude and they are just superficial cracks in the gelcoat. As long as they are above the waterline they should not cause any further damage but can possibly spread.

By John Richard (jrichard) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 8:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Same reason the insurance pays when you do other things without thinking. The owner does have responsibility: he chooses to pay an insurance premium based on the potential losses that will be covered by that insurance. His insurance may or may not pay for this item...it depends on his policy.

Having said that, there's a lot of literature on the moral hazard of insurance...that is, insured folks may act differently (e.g. more carelessly) than uninsured folks because they know they can claim on their policy.

Nevertheless, what may be stupid to you may simply be lack of experience or foresight to someone else (..that's why many insurance companies give discounts for experience, education, and lack of previous claims). If someone incurs a covered loss under an insurance policy, it's hardly right to call foul if they make a claim.

By Kaiser Soze (tattoobling) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 11:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here Here John Richard. Well said. Unless his policy has an explicit exclusion for damage incurred without fenders, he's got every right to get it covered. HE PAID FOR IT.

By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 9:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
if your engine/transmission/whatever mechanical is damaged your dealer doesnt have to foot the bill if you have not properly done the required preventive maintenance so how is this different??

By Tony Carroll (blindsiderider) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 9:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We choose to pay a "PREMIUM" to sometimes have a lapse in judgment. Just like the Premium Price you will pay if you have a lapse in judgment and don't do the required maintenance and something happens to the engine. The big difference is that is a Warranty that is given to us when we purchase our boat and the manufacturer tells us that there are certain things we must do to be able to use the warranty. Just like if we want to use the insurance we have to pay the policy. I don't see how they are even closely related.

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
All I know is that WHEN we/I damage our Toy, there'll be a whine heard 'round the world.

By John Richard (jrichard) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 8:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Uh, Bob, because you have a contract with your insurance company by which the insurance company agrees to pay for specific types of losses. I'm a big believer that parties to a contract should abide by the contract.

If you have a warranty (contract) from the manufacturer that agrees to pay for damage that is the result of a lack of maintenance, then you will want to claim for any covered damage/loss resulting from lack of maintenance. Generally, however, those types of losses are excluded from warranty coverage--the whole moral hazard thing.

I don't think anyone would want to contact their insurance company and ask that losses resulting from poor judgment be immediately excluded from their policy coverage.

Of course, the loss discussed in this thread is minor and likely inconsequential in the greater scheme of things. The serious losses involve liabilty resulting from death, injury, and suffering--and it appears to me that many of these losses are the direct result of poor judgment. I sure wouldn't want to have my assets exposed when I use less than my best judgment.

That's why I buy insurance...to protect me from me.

By Robert (ag4ever) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 8:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have not fully read my policy (shame on me) so I don't know if it would be covered under my policy, but think about this:

You have comprehensive auto insurance, and you screw up and hit another motorist. Now, should you have to pay out of your pocket to fix your car because you screwed up? This happens everyday.

Why should the insurance not fix it? That is what it was paid for, right? We are not talking about a liability only policy, but a full comprehensive policy that sayes it will fix your screw-ups, right?

BTW, I think he said he had fenders out, just not enough.

Now, I religously use fenders, but the dock has eaten a lot of my graphics, should insurance pay for that too?

By Bob (bob) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I see what your saying

By mcfatty (mcfatty) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 1:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The new Monster Tower Tige already has cracks all in his boat!

By mcfatty (mcfatty) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 2:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you make a claim I would say they will pay it, but you will lose your loss free discount come the renewal.
Find out how much of a discount that is and figure without it for the next three years. Might not be worth it.
Worse case they don't renew your policy and you have to go and try to get insurance with a loss.

(Message edited by mcfatty on March 18, 2004)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com