Boat Options Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Boat Options « Previous Next »
By Darin Bradford (fordman) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
what is my best bet for finding a boat with a coastguard rating of 11 or higher for 23,000 or less.?

By Chris Anthony (cla17) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 9:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
CoastGuard rating????

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 4:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I believe he means person capacity.

You are looking for a large V-Drive. Gekko, Moomba, Tige, Centurion, Malibu, CC all make them. At your price point, you are looking about 5 years old

By Bryce (sandman) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 9:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's one - http://messageboard.wakeworld.com/MB/discus/messages/8/103505.html?1079386284

Actually it is mine.
As far as USCG capacity ratings, only boats under 20' are required to post them. http://www.uscgaux.org/~0530801/capacity.htm
Mine does not contain one.

In California you are probably looking at something a little older than 5 years to be in that price range for a large V-drive. I don't think Gekko or Moomba created V-drives back then. The only V-drives I have seen for sale in California in the low 20's are Centurion, Tige, and older MC Maristars.

By bill montanye (bill) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
ahh you can get a DD Supra Sunsport 1998/1999 or a Supra Launch 1999 that has those ratings and a great wake in that price range..

my 2000 Launch ha a 13 person 1778 lb CGA rating-Big roomy DD with Vdrive wake

By Bryce (sandman) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have never understood Supra's passanger rating. They spec the Launch at 13 and the LauchSS at 10 passangers??? The SS is 6 inches longer. If you ask me your not going to get more than 10 adults in a Lauch comfortably regardless of what the CG ratings may say. Then you've got gear to deal with which will end up all over the floor.

By bill montanye (bill) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
3in the bow,1 driver,3 in the side seat,4 in the back thats all sitting down and comfortable enough then if you wanted to squeeze another in the bow area and one on the engine cover thats thirteen by factory standards and a rider riding makes 14 :-) not exactly comfortable but the gear fits in storage and theres a lot with board racks etc..yea its tight but doable..

i did this twice at LSF we had 12 in the boat and one rider out , 8 boards and gear..i filled factory ballast plus a sack under the bow compartment 600lbs..the wake was huge ..i sat two people ,one on each side of the engine on coolers..it was a fun great time for sure,,we filled the gas tank 3 times and rode from 7am until 9pm two sets each i think :-)

Im sure most normal days people wont need to use that much space or need a rating of ten plus people but theres definitly room in my boat on such and occasion pops up,ive proven that :-)

By Andrew Adams (wolfpack) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 2:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My Tige 2300V has a plate that says 14. We've had 12 in the boat and two behind it, and everyone was comfy.

By Darin Bradford (fordman) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 2:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks, I live in Oregon and was told of an incident where the sheriff ticketed a person because he had a boat full of kids, thought he was under the weight restriction, but was informed that the capacity was easier to inforce cause all they had to do was count the number of bodies in the boat. He was one over the capacity of his boat. Thanks for all of the feedback.

By Bryce (sandman) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 2:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
As long as the young kids have life preserves on and are sitting securely on a seated surface (not an engine cover) then you shouldn't have any problems.

Sounds like you have quite a large family

By Bryce (sandman) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 2:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Another item to consider, the seating layout of a V-drive will give you the ability from the drivers seat to keep a closer eye on the little ones. With a direct drive they could end up all alone way in the back which would make me a little uneasy

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 5:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Shove em in the passenger seat storage when you see the water cops..

(Message edited by oshensurfer on March 16, 2004)

By Darin Bradford (fordman) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not a large imediate family, 3 kids but it seems like with my current boat, (bayliner seating of 6) I spend a lot of time coming in to shore to switch riders we usually have another family with us. And then there is always the "you should have seen the jump" that someone missed. Thanks for the all of the feedback.

By Marty McFly (mcfly) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/anglerboater/2001/ma2001/cappmath.pdf

Dont know if this helps, but here is a quick link.

I have always been told that anything over 20' does not require the capacity plate. It is just for suggestion from the manufacturer...I could be wrong though.

McFly

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com