New Tower Installation Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » New Tower Installation « Previous Next »
By Corey Jones (mjones47) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 10:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have just purchased a new Skylon classic swoop tower for my 97 Malibu Response. My question is how is the best way to support the mounting locations behind the fiberglass? Does anyone know how the factory does it? Everyone I talk to has there an opinion. I just want to do it right. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By Craig R. Gutzmer (cgutzmer) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 10:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They are just metric cap screws thru the fiberglass with a washer and bolt on the other end.... I have the same tower on my Malibu. 2001 sunsetter with skylon swoop....

By chrissocal (chrissocal) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mastercraft uses a metal plate that all four mounting bolts go through...looks pretty secure.

By Robert (autotunner69) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't know if your tower has like four screws going through the fiberglass. But on mine, I have one screw through the center. So I used some wood in my garage. It's like a red wood/ or solid oak wood chunks/pieces, they measure like for the back/side of the boat 1"X10"X4". then I cut triangle shaped for up by the bow. basically whatever makes them fit. Then I put (Dap)100% silicone rubber sealant between the black rubber washer that came w/the kit and the boat surface. I tightened the of them. This summer when it gets warmer I am going to lay fiberglass over the wood to the boat surface up underneath inside the boat. this should make it super strong! this is just what I am going to do. It is solid as rock right now.
I went down and looked at some installs on other boats from the dealer and it looked like you will save hundreds if you do it by yourself. it's just plain common sence and it's not hard at all. just alittle time consuming. have fun with it!
Good Luck on yours.

By Corey Jones (mjones47) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 7:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Appreciate the info Robert. I figured if I installed it myself the job would look better. It would make me sick to get the boat back and it be scratched or half done.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com