Alternator Swap & Wiring Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Alternator Swap & Wiring « Previous Next »
By Mike Teague (bigdeal) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I replaced my OEM alternator (52 amp) with an aftermarket alternator (110 amp) to aide in powering my sound system (three amps and apprx. 1500 watts) and other boat toys. I also replaced the main engine breaker (back of motor) with a new 135 amp Blue Sea breaker as well. Here's my question(s) to you guys that have done this upgrade to your boat.

What re-wiring did you do to accomodate the larger amperage output of your new alternator? I was thinking about re-wiring from the output leg of my alternator to one side of my new main breaker, and then from the other side of the breaker on to the starter, with 4awg wire. I have 0/1awg wire running from my battery (+) to the starter and 2 awg wire on the gorund (-) side of the battery. Currently I have 10awg wire running in the locations I'm thinking about re-wiring. Although the 4 awg re-wire seems like a good idea, I'm concerned about the effect on the other wires (and electrical components) also wired onto the main breaker.

Any feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated since I'm a little concerned that I am inadequately wired right now.

-Mike-

By Cass (cwshumsky) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 7:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
M, i used a single output alt. 4ga to the battery (skip the breaker) then 4ga to a fuse block for the amps

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com