Best combo-ski and wakeboard-used <$3... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Best combo-ski and wakeboard-used <$30k boat?? « Previous Next »
By Frank Donahue (frankied) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 8:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Now that I have a proper tow vehicle, we're looking to upgrade from our 18' Seaswirl, (which is equiped w/a tower). Looking into options for something that will suit both skiers and wakeboarders well. With all the experience on this board, I know that you have some solid suggestions. I appreciate and look forward to your input. Thanks,
(PS: My wife thinks the Malibu route is the way to go, LXi, I think??

By Jon Allen (jon_a) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 9:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
To me, a Moomba or Supra is the way to go. The best bang for the buck out there. For a good crossover boat under $30k I would look at the Mobius LS. Great wakeboarding wake when weighted down but also a good ski wake without ballats. I have a 2001 Mobius for sale right now for only $22500 with 136 hours on it. Check the classifieds.

By Bobby Mucic (bobbymucic) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A malibu V-drive, with a diamond hull (like the 2001 sunsetter) seems like a good fit.

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 11:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Malibu Sunsetter w/Wedge would be a great fit. Vdrive if the emphasis is more on wakeboarding, DD if you're more into skiing.

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 12:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check out the Tige' Type R. Awesome interior, and the wake shape can be adjusted at a flip of a switch.

(Can you believe me suggesting a Tige'???)

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 4:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a demo 2003 Gekko GTO-22 available. It fits your budget and has record slalom wakes as well as great rampy wakeboarding wake and priced right.

rider@boarditup.com

By Tim (suckbuthavefun) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You may want to look into the Centurion T5 or the Thunder, if you want new. I was looking for the same thing you were and that is what we chose. Hope this helps

Tim

By greg (malibususpect) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 1:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
definatly go DD if your going to slalom ski. i recomend a wakesetter DD. we have one and it has a great wake for both sking and wakeboarding

By Kyle (hamkj) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Look at the Ski Supreme 220SP.

By Frank Donahue (frankied) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 5:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks everyone for the input! I don't know enough about a few if the brand names listed so will have to do some additional research. As far as the Malibu's go, if going for a DD, what's the difference between the Sunsetter, Response LXi and Wakesetter models?? Does only the Sunsetter come with the diamond hull, or do they all? (And what IS the deal with this as a recommendation for both Skiiing and wakeboarding?) Sorry if the questions are stupid! Thanks again....

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 5:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Response (all) = Diamond
Sunsetter LXI = Diamond
Sunsetter LX = SV23 Wake
Wakesetter = SV23 Wake

The difference between the 2 is that the Diamond Hull is better for skiing - it's a "lifting" design that produces less wake. So in choosing between the 2 you need to weigh out how much skiing you do vs. wakeboarding, wakesurfing, etc. With all of that said, the SV23 Wake Hull is the same hull that the Sunsetters & Echelons were built on back in the mid-90's & it was tournament rated as a ski boat. If you're a recreational skier, you may not notice much of a difference in the wakes of the 2 hulls. The wakeboarding side of it is that the Diamond Hull will be good up through intermediate riders, whereas the SV23 Wake hull is the same hull that Malibu's premier boarding boat (VLX) is built on, so if you weigh it down, it'll reward you with a really awesome wake. All of that is comparing comparable sized boats (ie, Sunsetter LXI vs. Wakesetter). The Response will be somewhat less on the wakeboarding side of it because its main focus is skiing, & wasn't really designed as a crossover boat even though a lot of people use it that way. If you're a really good skier & want the butter-soft wakes, then you need to look at the Response.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I should probably add my own experience here, FWIW. My husband is the skier of the family, but even at that will maybe get 1 or 2 sets of skiing in a whole day of boarding. We decided on the Wakesetter for that & many other reasons. Value & versatility are both way up there & we felt that it wasn't worth the extra money for the Sunsetter LXI & the minimal benefits of the Diamond Hull.

(Message edited by MB Girl on March 16, 2004)

By Frank Donahue (frankied) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 6:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tracie,
Thanks for a VERY complete answer. I really do appreciate the input. With me doing less skiing, and the kids doing more wakeboarding, I may have to heed your advice and look towards the SV23 hull design!!

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 9:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Both would be good boats, but the SV23 is the preferred hull for wakeboarding. If you want more info about Malibus then you ever knew existed, head over to www.malibuboatowners.com. It's an unbelievable general boating site, let alone resource for Malibu owners. Whatever you get, enjoy!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com