VLX Weighting - Newbie Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » VLX Weighting - Newbie « Previous Next »
By Dmac (socaldave) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 4:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I own a '99 Sunsetter VLX...my first inboard. No wedge. I have never dealt with sacs or adding weight for that matter.

I want to try adding a little extra weight this season to improve the wake. We usually have 3-4 adults and 3 or 4 young kids on the boat, so storage and ease of adding or taking out the weight might be an issue.

What would you recommend that would be easy to take in/out, how much weight, and where to put it?

I'm not looking for a world class wake, just improving the stock VLX wake. Thanks!

By MIKE O (batman) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 8:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For an nice wake get a pair of Phat Buddies 300# each for the back and a 500# locker sack for front. We typically use 500# each side in back and 875# in front and the wake is sweet! The seven people should help also!

By Wkerat (wkerat) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 9:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i run stock ballast, plus 250 in each back compartment, 110 in the nose (under the very front seat, a launch pad v-drive sac under the middle front seat (not fully full, but we got the sma ewake by putting about 250 in lead up there so it is rigth around 250) and another 200 in the middle we move around to balance things out. For wakesurfing we also fill another launch pad on the back seat and if we don't have many people we will use it to board as well.

By Skydog96 (skydog96) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 11:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
they key isnt how much weight you put in your boat, its how u distribute it. the key is to weight the boat down evenly. 50/50 maybe 55/ to 45 in the front, but pretty even . obviously the more advanced you get the bigger youll want the wake. so just make sure when u add weight, you add it evenly. If you are able to step out and look at the boat from the dock, check it out, it should be pretty even.

so i guess im tryin to say, make it even.. have fun

By Bennett (wakehype) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 3:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I run anywhere from stock ballast and wedge to 2600 and wedge or just 3000lbs of water. Result is a very BIG wake.

But, like Skydog said distribution is the key

500 in each rear compartment and 500 up front is good for most inboards.

By Greg Miller (g_miller) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 8:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 98 VLX and I run 2 600# in the rear, around 500# in the locker, another 550# in the bow, and we also have 2 350's that we use when there are only 3 or 4 of us. SWEET WAKE!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com