Most important accessory: Trailer. ... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Most important accessory: Trailer. Aluminum? « Previous Next »
By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone have an aluminum trailer for their inboard? I am thinking of ditching my galvanized monstrosity to get an aluminum one. The trailer shop is saying I'll never have to buy another trailer again. That sounds great, but is it true?

Here's the low-down:
Aluminum I-beam construction
Aluminum cross-members
Galvanized axles
Stainless steel drum brakes (w/flush kit)

$2100 and he'll move my rims over to the new trailer, or $2300 with his galvanized rims. The salt content in the gulf is pretty high. I found an article on the web saying it's higher than the Atlantic or Pacific. I believe it! I just want to make sure I never have to deal with it again.

By kristian coltman (kristian) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What about corrosion?

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Corrosion is why I am going to get a new one. The disc brakes and axles on my current trailer are shot. Not to mention, the leaf springs aren't looking too good either.

By Andrew Adams (wolfpack) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We had an aluminum trailer for our Center console and it was great. If you have a large enough tow vehicle, skip the brakes, they hold moisture and are eaten up the fastest.

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
wouldn't the disc brakes and axle still be steel?

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
No, the new brakes have stainless steel parts. My old disc's were painted steel. The new axles would be galvnized steel, where my old ones were painted steel. I have learned the hard way that hot dip galvanizing is the only way to galnvanize something, and the metal better never touch salt for one second until it's coated.

Andrew, I will be rolling now without brakes...towing with a Yukon. It just makes me nervous not having them. I can't stop as fast. Plus I read a D.O.T. law somewhere that a certain weight/length must have brakes. I doubt the trailer shop will build it without them.

By Chris Olsson (moondoggie) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 1:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an aluminum Rolls-rite trailer I have been using for the last five years for my 91' California Skier. It has been great. More importantly than the corrosion aspect for me, it weighs a lot less than any other trailer I have ever owned. The brakes were out in it when I got it, I removed all the hardware, and haven't had a problem not having brakes on it. hope this helps...

By BobbyB (bobbyb) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 3:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aluminum trailers are great and they hold up well in the salt. I have one under my race boat and it looks brand new after being dunked in florida all winter and maryland in the summer.

By Andrew Adams (wolfpack) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 5:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
One more thing: Make sure they use leaf springs rather than torsion bars. We've had an aluminum trailer with torsion bars and it wasn't pretty, the boat wanted to bounce the whole way down the road, because the torsion bars aren't as good at absorbing shock as leaf springs, and add that with the flex of the aluminum trailer. It was horrible.

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 5:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Andrew, thanks for that tip. The option is still on the table, and this helps.

By Peter Chandler (peter_c) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 9:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The new style disk brakes use stainless rotors. you might want to do a little more research in that area. The replacement brake kits are around $150 a side so if they need replacement every couple of years...who cares? If you crash your truck/boat because you can not stop it will cost you much much more.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com