VLX Trailer Quality Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » VLX Trailer Quality « Previous Next »
By Barry Lacter (blacter) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 6:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
We're in the final stages of deciding between an X10 and a VLX and are down to debating the details. I was really impressed with the X10 trailer...solid, good looking and has the gizmo that locks the bow eye onto the trailer when you drive the boat up. It also has oil-bath hubs, which seems like a great idea. Is the Malibu trailer just as solid?

By swass (swass) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 6:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Every option you mentioned on the MC trailer is available in a comparable trailer for Malibu. It all depends on what kind it is and the options selected.

By John Sorensen (johns) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 6:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't belive Malibu makes there own trailers. Your dealer will use a third party trailer from Dorsey, Prestige or other trailer manufacturer. Mastercraft makes a nice trailer and it is a guaranteed to fit the MC perfectly and has nice options. Some third party manufactures make junk trailers using inferior parts but some are very nice. I would find out what kind of trailers the Malibu dealer uses and then come back and ask for opinions. I have my Nautique on a Dorsey TA trailer and although I had a problem with one of the drum brakes I am very happy with it.

John S.

By swass (swass) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 7:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That's true - Malibut doesn't make their own trailer...but to suggest that means they don't fit as well is kinda silly. They're designed to fit the boat they're mated with. You can get an Extreme trailer for a Malibu that is every bit as nice as the MC trailer. I don't have any experience with the Dorsey.

By Matthew Melvin (melvinator) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 8:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an elite single axel under my vlx and it pulls great. The longest I towed it was under 150 miles, but there was no swaying even at 90(opps).

By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 8:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
In my experience my Malibu fits onto my trailer as good or better than my friend that has an MC with MC trailer.

But, the oil bath hubs and trailer buddy locking mechanism that come with an MC trailer are killer IMHO.

By shane (auto) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 8:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dorsey do trailers rock as do the people at dorsey. Mine had a little accident, due to an idiot ramming into me, the body guy who did the work was impressed how hard the metal was on the wheel well for just a boat trailer.

By John Sorensen (johns) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 8:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is probably true as most should fit a boat fairly well to the hull. My main point was to say the some trailer manufactures can cut corners to save money. For Example, some may not provide enough support for the hull using too small of trailer bunks or frame supports, some use crap tires(Swass, didn't you have this problem with the carlise tires?), lower rated hubs, axles, tires ect.. ect...

My Dorsey trailer is rated for 6000lbs, My Natique is 3200lbs dry not including the 500lbs of lead 500lbs along with gas and gear. I was browsing at a Tige dealership last year and looked at the trailer they had beneath a 20v. A Tige 20v weights about 4000lbs dry and the trailer was rated for like 5000lbs. Now I don't know about you but I would rather have a trailer a little over engineered than one that just barley meets the requirements, wouldn't you?

I think it all boils down to the dealership at what type of trailer manufacturer they decide to use. Back to Barry original question, you can be rest assured the MC trailer is going to be a quality trailer. The Malibu dealer and you would have to decide for yourself.

By swass (swass) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 8:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nope - that wasn't me. I have Tow Master tires on mine.

By Rod Rinnert (deltahoosier) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 9:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My Trailer is pretty nice. It has a swing away tongue, disk brakes and bearing buddies (or a versio of them) on all hubs. The MC trailers are the nicest trailers I have seen, but, if you get a trailer like mine it is more than close enough. Get the boat you like. The VLX should beat the X10 for wake.

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 9:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Extreme and BoatMate are every bit as good as Mastercraft's trailers, and they offer even more options than those available from MC.

By Daniel Galloway (mississippireb) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 9:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can buy the boat buddy (gizmo that locks the bow eye) from overtons for under $100.

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They have the boat buddy at Bass Pro Shops for $49.99. Just went there yesterday to pick up some parts for my dual batteries and saw the boat buddies.

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=1052&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

By merlin lucas (mklucas) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 12:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It depends on which trailer manufacturer you get for the VLX. I can only speak for the extreme trailer, and it rocks!!! I have towed close to 4000 miles with it in the last 10 months and Haven't had a problem. With extreme you have a lot of options, and if you don't see it in their catalogue, just talk to them and they can do it. I had them add a lot of custom items on my trailer, and it was no problem.

That's the nice thing about a BU, they build the trailer for you AND the boat when you order your boat.

(Message edited by mklucas on March 10, 2004)

By Flack (flackpack) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 2:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I can recommend Extreme as one very customer oriented company. I had 5 year old Hensley trailer which needed some repair work, that Hensley would not do. I called Extreme, they had me bring it to them, and in 1 day they re-set my bunk pads, bled the brakes, and sold me new wheels and tires at their cost. When I bought my new boat, I made sure to specify an Extreme Trailer. I am sold for life.

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 3:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jason, IMO Boatmate trailers are not as nice as MC trailers. We have had minor problems with both of our Boatmate trailers. Just minor problems, but I think the MC's are better quality. I agree with the Extreme comment. I had never seen one before last year as most don't make it past the west coast it seems like, but my buddy had one under his Malibu promo. Very nice, I really like the carpeted boat guides, though I think they could do better than the Carlisle tires.

By Mike K. (deltagrubber) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 4:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Extreme all the way, but make sure you specify that you want one when you buy your boat, depending on the dealer, they may hit you up for some xtra cash, but it'll be well worth it. I had my fenders and steps sandblasted and repainted by Extreme and they turned out perfect! left off the diamond plate and it looks way cleaner!! They did it all ( oh and REPLACED the fenders) for just over $200 bucks. Can't beat that!!!

(Message edited by deltagrubber on March 10, 2004)

By Todd (goodtime) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 5:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Extreme is the best, Custom West coast style trailer. Had one on my last Eliminator,nothing but great things to say about the Trailer.Custom colors,lights,wheels,fenders etc.

worth the purchase if you plan on keeping your boat for a while.

By Tom Barnard (tlb) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 6:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I owned an MC previously, and the trailer is great. 4 wheel disc brakes, tube construction. That trailer is well made. I'm sure you can get as good a trailer for your malibu, but you will have to specify it.

By MIKE O (batman) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 8:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought a 2001 LSV that was Malibu's promo boat and it sat on an Extreme trailer. They are very solidly made and the boat set's very nice on the trailer. I don't care for the guides as it kept striking the bow low on the hull, so I had to make new longer guides. I did like the spare tire storage area. My last trailer and new 04 are both Boatmates and are GREAT trailers with all the bells and whistles you can imagine. I am sure they would add the Boat Buddy if you wanted.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com