Question -- Enlarging fiberglass spea... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Question -- Enlarging fiberglass speaker holes. « Previous Next »
By Sean (aircanada) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 1:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Need some advice.

I will be replacing the 5-1/4 components in the interior of my boat with larger 6-1/2 speakers. Any suggestions on how to enlarge the fiberglass holes so that the new speakers fit? I thought about making a jig out of MDF that would allow me to use my router, but would like to know if anyone knows of an easier method.

I have also thought about keeping the 5-1/4 hole, but mounting the speakers on the inside using a small spacer between the fiberglass and the speaker.

Im not too worried about being able to bring the boat back to stock, I just want to keep things as clean and simple as possible.

Also, I will be selling two pairs of CDT HD-52 components for $250 a pair if anyone is interested. They have only seen a couple months of light winter use in the boat. Cost new is roughly $375.

Thanks.

By Zedz Dead (ktm250) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 4:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Center a template over the existing hole and scribe your cut mark. Then use a Roto-Zip blade attached to an air grinder...or use the Roto-zip tool (they sell them at Lowes and Home Depot).

By Sean (aircanada) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 6:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So basically freehand?

By salty87 (salty87) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 8:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
the roto zip has an attachment to cut circles. i wouldn't free hand it, not with a roto zip. they cut so smooth its easy to get off the line.

the router on an mdf template doesn't sound bad.

By trace (trace) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 9:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
here's a fairly easy way to get an accurate circle:

get a router or Rotozip. draw a large X on a piece of MDF, hardboard, etc that you will use for a template, so you'll know where the center of the circle is after you cut it out. measure the distance on the tool from the edge of the bit to the edge of the foot/guide. the template diameter should be the desired hole size plus twice this distance.

figure out where you want the center of the speaker. you won't have to put it right on the original center, but make sure the old hole will end up completely inside the new hole. set the center of the template, and tape the template in place. run the tool around the inside of the template.

template

(Message edited by trace on March 10, 2004)

By Da MOOSE (da_moose) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 12:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
use a carbide blade and a jig saw,& the hole idea that Trace put up works for me

By sydwayz (sydwayz) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 3:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used a Roto Zip to cut out my 6x9 in the deck by freehand. Masking taped the area and traced the template and cut the hole. The deck was 1/2" thick so the Roto Zip didn't move around that much. Also when cutting I used a vacuum to eliminate the dust.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com