san.x2.or,x30 Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » san.x2.or,x30 « Previous Next »
By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 4:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
in a year in a half i will have a choice between the san x2 or x30. i have riden behind the san and loved the wake bu the x 30 has a lot more room in it. Also has any one riden behind the x 30 cause i want to compare the wake to the x2. Thanks, mike

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 5:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
also is the x2's wake as big as the san's

By HairbandDude (slipknot) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 5:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
x30 should not be compared to the others, what do you want wake or room?

test drive them weighted (that means more than stock ballast), its not like you don't have enough time to do it, a year and a half?

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 6:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hairband, thats true, so you think i should lean more towards the x2 and super air

By Jordan Poppa (jpoppa) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 6:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
HairbandDue, sorry I have to disagree with you here. The X-30 can be compared to the others. I've had a lot of good riders behind my boat and not one complained of the wake being too wide, which is what people on this forum always seem to bring up. Perhaps it's their lack of cutting ability, I don't know. Just don't knock the X-30 before you ride behind one fully weighted. It's true, a wider boat is harder to sink, but when you do sink it the wake is huge. I run the stock ballast plus another 1400 pounds and I guarantee the wake more than compares to both the X-2 and the SAN. I've ridden behind all three multiple times and can compare them fairly. The SAN wake is nice and big when you load the boat down, but it feels super thin. I don't like landing way out in the flats on every jump, I like the smooth landing from going wake go wake. The X-2 I've ridden behind w/ almost 3000 # in it and the wake is absolutely enormous, but feels like a brick wall when you hit it, much to vert with all the weight. The X-30 wake is every bit as big as the others when weighted, with more ramp than the X-2. The wake is wider than both the X-2 and SAN, but for most good riders this is a good thing. The other plus about the X-30 is that the room in the boat is unbelievable. When I have 8 people on my boat, all with their own vests, towels, bags, boards, etc, I can put all the crap in storage and not have anything laying on the floor of the boat. Not to mention that with only 8 people, everyone has their own space and aren't crunched together like sardines. Lastly, try taking a SAN or X-2 in any chop or offshore conditions, you'll wish you had gotten the X-30 which just plows right through chop and doesn't stuff the nose into every 2 foot wave. Each boat has its own upside. If you're only taking 2-3 people with you when you ride, or live on a small lake with your boat in the back yard, then the SAN or X-2 is right for you. Both are very one-dimensional boats. If you take more people out with you and want to still be comfortable in all types of conditions, then the X-30 is right. I'm just sick of the crap people say on here about not comparing the X-30 to others. You wanna see for yourself, come down to St Pete, FL and I'll take you out.

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 6:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
jordan, thanx for the input but i have a question, i noticed most mastercrafts have fins but the x10 n x30 dont does the efffect the way it tracks or turns

By HairbandDude (slipknot) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 6:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
not knocking the X30, but 8 people plus 1400 lbs on top of factory ballast should be sufficient for that boat I would think, and ur right. But the wake is all about preference. If room is what you need then demo the 23 footers with factory ballast and sacs galore if that;s what ur about. The shape of the wake can be controlled by the owner and where he puts the weight right?

If jetpilot is interested in all 3 brands then he needs to ride behind all 3 and compare all 3.

All boats will have negatives and positives from all different people. Goodluck its not an easy decision.

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 7:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
jordan, u said u put 1400 pounds of extra ballsat. where do u put it i no u can put some in the back compartments, but where in the front or do u even put weight in the front

By Brett Davis (bdavis) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 9:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an x-30, but have only put a few hours on it since I bought in Oct. I'm an average rider I guess, no pro that's for sure, and don't have any difficulty getting to the flats. I got three sacs to complement the kgb system now, and we'll see how the wake looks soon. Guess that would give me about 2000 to 2500 lbs. depending on how full I fill them. It's warming up and I'm dying to get out.

I chose x-30 because I wanted the room and I think I found a good deal. As for the wake, as long as it gets me up in the air, I'm happy.

I asked mastercraft at the L.A. boat show why they forgot to put the tracking fins on my boat and they said that the deep V design didn't need it. The hull doesn't look deeper to me but I'm not an engineer.

By Jordan Poppa (jpoppa) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 9:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Michael, I put two sacs in the back compartments and have a launchpad lounge all the way forward in the front walkthrough. The lounge is cool, adds another rear view seat. You need weight up front to keep the boat balanced and help get on plane. The X-30 doesn't have tracking fins as it has a deeper V than the other boats, so it doesn't need them I guess. I haven't noticed any tracking or turning problems without them, plus there's less on the bottom of the boat to damage when pulling up to a beach.
Brett, 2000-2500 pounds will be great. When we wakesurf we usually fill all the ballast tanks, put a 550 on the rear left of the boat with a 350 on the back seat on the same side and another 550 up front in the walkthrough. Then pile all the people in the back corner of the boat and the wake is super sweet for surfing. The Drew Danielo video in the wakesurfing section is shot from my boat, but the vid doesn't do the wake justice. You can't see the clean wave with Drew always tearing the water up back there.

By Matt Anderson (xaggie) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 12:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I loved/love mine and for such a porker it moves with the LQ9. I've owned a 01 X-star and for nothing less than a pro I could not feel a difference. Plus you can fit more eye candy/weight (don't tell them that) on the X-30 so it always worked out for us. Plus on Travis in Austin the X-30 treated us a lot better than our old X-Star did. All said trus people here go out and try them all for yourself. Cheers Matt

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 2:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
jordan, how long can you rdie with all the ballast full before you need to fill up on gas?

By Doubleup (doubleup) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 3:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I personally have never rode an x30 wake but I was in the x30 2 years ago @ boardstock while Gerry Nunn was riding. The boat was fully loaded with ballast and people. He kept complaing how small the wake was. However, he was going huge so take that with a grain of salt... x30 is an open water boat like the dude said, but I don't know what he was saying about stuffing the nose of an x2, because in my boat that is pretty hard. I never sink my nose and I run about 600lb up front. x30 and x10 don't have tracking fins because they were designed for recreational purposes, not hardcore tow sports. All the boats you are looking at are nice and I don't think you can make a bad decision. With the ones you are looking at just get the one that fits your needs and you will be happiest. They may have new models of boats to choose from in a year and half anyways.

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 3:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
doubleup, thanx for the help but which boat would you rather san or x2 or do you have any other suggestions

By Jordan Poppa (jpoppa) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 8:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Michael, the tank in my boat holds 63 gallons of gas, so totally loaded the boat burns through a whole tank in two full days of riding around 6-8 hours. That's with the stock prop, you might be able to get more out of it if you repropped it for carrying more weight. Decrease the weight a little and it'll last 4-5 days on a tank. This is with the 330 hp LTR.

Doubleup, from the looks of the boat in your profile I can understand that you might never have stuffed the nose into a wave. You need to put more weight in that thing, the swim platform is 6 inches out of the water. The '01 X-star that I have ridden behind is weighted down for boarding and the water line comes just about half way up the X-Star logo on the side, with platform 8 inches under water. Put that much weight in your boat and then try idling in 2 foot chop, I guarantee you won't stay dry for long. However, the X-2 is still way better for chop than the SAN. That thing sits so low to the water as it is, so when you add weight it's crazy low. Definitely designed for small lakes, not open water. I'm definitely a little partial to boats that can handle various water conditions though because we ride down here in the saltwater, and I like being able to take the boat around the bay and around to the gulf without worrying about being swamped or getting tossed around like a ragdoll.

(Message edited by jpoppa on March 10, 2004)

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 4:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
does any one know the msrp on the x2 and x30

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 5:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Michael- You should be able to buy one for low to mid $40's..of course depending on options. I would guess MSRP is low to mid $50's. They have really inflated MSRP's in my opinion. Anyway,hope that helps a little.

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 3:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanx wilson, im probably gonna fully deck my boat out when i get in so i hope the price loaded will be around 55, thanx for the help

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 2:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why would Doubleup have to put more weight in the front, if;

a. he's happy w/ the way his wake is,
b. more weight in the front will make the wake rampy?

I'd have to agree w/ HairbandDude. The X-30 doesn't belong in the same class as the Super Air and the X-2. The X-30 is NOT a competition type boat, and is more geared towards the family, recreactional type riders. The Super and X-2 put out awesome wakes, but if you have a family of 5, forget about it...the interior in both are small.

Either way, test drive and ride behind 'em all. Whichever one you liked best, go with it.

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 3:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
By the way, no way am I saying that the X-30 is a bad boat. It's an awesome boat. It's just harder to build a wake similar to that of the Super and X-2 'cause it's so big.

By Jordan Poppa (jpoppa) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joe - I didn't say put more weight in the front of the boat only, I just said it looks like it needs more weight in it period -given how high it's sitting in the water. By the way, unless you're riding on the tour, aren't we all recreational riders?

By zach (klk) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 7:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
x-30 definately
san wake is like hitting a brick wall.

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 6:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
how much does an 04 x star cost

By Clete (domin8) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 7:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
mid 60's at the last 2 shows in Cali

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 4:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
is it really worth paying 66 for the x star. how much bigger or better is the wake

By Anthony X2 (tpanoz) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 5:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
All i have to say is that the hull design on the x-2 has been towing the x-games since 1996 (i think thats the year the games started with wakeboarding?) Since the x-2's beam is smaller than the x-30 and the xstar you'll get a better and nicer shaped wake. The x-30 is more of a "open water" boatm due to the construction of its hull and beam size. Stay away from those brick wall wakes int he San's. You want a good boat with an excellent following and record.. you save alittle more cash and come out with a way better boat and probably the best wake out there. Go with the X2

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 5:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i could either get the x2 with everything in it or xstar with almost nothing so i dont know

By CBrown (powdrhound) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 5:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just to be a total pain in the arse get a Sanger V210 wakes easily as good as the SAN of X2 but the cockpit is way more roomy and theres more storage space then you'll have some cash left over for gas and beers

(Message edited by powdrhound on March 16, 2004)

By Anthony X2 (tpanoz) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 8:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
stay with a brand name. Better service, more dealer's, parts are more avaible...

By CBrown (powdrhound) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 3:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
and what Sangers not a brand name are you taking the piss??
They use a mercruiser so I doubt your gonna have trouble with parts or service and build quality is second to none.
Theres a reason that theres not that many Sanger V210s for sale 2nd hand

By Anthony X2 (tpanoz) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 7:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
HAHA i dont really care!
Jetpilot313... do yourself a favor and stay with a Mastercraft or a SAN! You'll get most of your money back for one thing, when you go to sell it (Not like you would want to) Plus you'd look like a huge pimp in one of those 2 boats.

By michael leblanc (jetpilot313) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 7:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
haha thanx anthony your right though down here in louisiana it would definatley be the best boats on the water

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com