Problems with Supra launch ssv Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Problems with Supra launch ssv « Previous Next »
By Ryan Lukjanowicz (ryan387) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 2:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 2003 Supra Launch SSV. Although I am pretty pleased with the boat, we did experience some pretty big problems in our first year of owning it. The first thing to happen was the battery flipping over, spilling battery juice all over and draining our entire battery. Not only was everything covered in battery acid, I was at sea-fair in washington, with a battery with no juice. I was in the middle of thousands of drunk boaters. It was horrible. Whle i was checking engine parts (starter, spark plugs etc.) i floated through two rafts of 15 or more boats each. I was bombarded with water ballons and squirt guns. The vessel assist could not find us because there were so many boats out in such a small place. I floated almost a mile, and was pushed up against a the I-90 floating bridge and waited for the vessel assist. When the vessel assist wouldnt jump be because of the acid i was extremely mad. Luckily i found someone to jump me and barely made it back into my slip before the engine died again. Another problem i had was with the alternator belt break breaking, and the battery again not holding a charge (luckily soem boat cops towed me in). After that day at sea-fair i checked the batter each time, and tightened the straps, however, it again flipped over, covering all of our things in battery juice again. My friend unknowingly dried off with a towel doused in battery juice, and got himself a very nice rash. I also experienced some problems with the connections on the ballast bags (which suck and come off), and i am thinking about upgradeing to hard tanks. The speedos also got clogged twice, and the Perfect Pass didnt work too well for a while. Other than that, the boat is pretty sweet though. I posted this to ask if anyone has had the same problems and what they did. I just finally got my board racks and bimini from the dealer, and i want to put a sound system on it. Honestly i wanted a SAN after this all happened, but i dunno, we'll see

By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 3:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
SSV problem??? Ok…. Let me get this straight. Your only real issues are a battery strap. Alternator belt. Ballast connections, speedo clogging, PP inconsistency.

Sounds like some routine inspections when you clean your boat and you should be set for resolving most of the issues.

Get a battery box and strap… screw down the mounting plate secure the strap and your spilled battery problems are over.

Your belt probably got loose and eventually broke. Check the tension regularly and keep a spare belt and some tools on the boat in case it happens again.

Depending on you ballast connections you can use thread tape or some type of silicone sealant and fix the ballast leaks. Check some old posts about hard tanks vs. bags before you make the switch.

Speedos clogging is normal and not hard to catch of fix.

PP not holding speed is most likely an issue of weighting the boat properly. I assume the dealer mounted the speedo sensor in the correct place. Depending on model you can also get some help direct from PP if you call them to help trouble shoot the issue.

All in all it sounds like your new boat has not had any major problems. And a CC just as easily could have had the same issues. Just to check… How many hours did you put on it last year? Is this your first boat?

Now as far as taking out your boat on Sea Fair weekend…. Well with all the drunks and big boats that weekend… IMO you are just asking for trouble in a small boat.

By Mike (lehmur) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 4:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not to belittle the fact that you had some issues, those are pretty minor as Jeff said. I have friends with every brand of boat you can name and they each including me had small things like these happen with new boats. The first few times out are when everything get's stress tested after installation.
My Supra has performed great since I bought it. I had a major issue with gelcoat cracks, but the dealer and factory stepped up and fixed the problem for me.

By Rich (rson) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 5:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry, I don't hear the violins playing a sad song for you.

Belts break....get an optima red/yellow cell and move on.

By Brian (skiboat21) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 6:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree with Jeff and Mike. I am a new Supra owner so I may be somewhat bias but it sounds like you did not do your part in securing your battery and to lesser extent checking your running gear. I'll be honest I don't do it every launch either but who does.
I have been on plenty of Seafair safari's and it's rough out there on the Blue Angel/Hydro weekend. There are also plenty of great folks who are more than willing to help out if you ask...including the drunk ones Happy you made it out O.K and I hope you enjoy your boat. I am curious though. Is this you first boat?????

By Tom Barnard (tlb) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 6:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ryan, I own a '03 SAN and have had more and more serious problems than that. Stick with the boat, every boat has problems even with new boats.

By Ryan Lukjanowicz (ryan387) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 7:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did strap the battery down, Jeff. I have the strap and the battery box man, it still flipped over in rough water. Should i have to check if the battery is upright every time i hit another wake or it is choppy?? I think not..by the way rich, your hilarious, and no this is not my first boat

By Shawn Ulsrud (thunderstruck) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 7:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ryan
I once had a battery strap that would work its way loose, I could never get it to stay. Once I replaced it with a new one I had no problems. You may have a faulty strap or wound through wrong, but I would just replace it. I also think that owning an inboard with batteries in a carpeted area justifies installing a gel battery like a Optima. Flip it, Smack It or Crack It.....no leaks on the carpet.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 7:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
"the speedos got clogged twice"? In '02, Supra switched to using the PP paddlewheel to drive the (single) speedometer on PP-equipped boats. Are you saying that the PP paddlewheel got clogged? And, if so, that this is Supra's fault?

BTW, it would be a good idea to spring $30 for an anchor and line.

By Doug (supradoug) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Some people shouldn't own boats............

By Rich (rson) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Like me....I am waiting on my apology DOUG....there is nothing like a good boat whore to pay for gas and drive your ass....waiting....waiting....

By Ryan Lukjanowicz (ryan387) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 1:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the constructive advice shawn, im gonna look into gel batteries for this season and get a new strap too. The PP paddlewheel wasnt the one that kept getting clogged, so i guess it doesnt really matter, it wasnt a big deal. I just thought that these problems were an annoyance, but nothing more. When i posted this, i wasnt trying to get sympathy, just suggestions...thanks to those who gave good suggestions instead of trying to cut me down. I didnt have an anchor at seafair cuz i just got the boat. It was just frusterating for this to happen at about 5 hrs. Does anyone know of good wakeboard camps in/around washington? and does anyone have suggestions for upgrading audio equip.? I have two fosgate 12"s in my car, and i want to put them in the boat. Where is the best position and what are good tower speakers? Doug, why shouldnt i own a boat? If you think im dumb why would u waste ur time posting? dont you have anything better to do...probably not..

By John Diefel (john_d) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 5:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ryan,
Bow Lake just north of MT Vernon has a Watersports bed and breakfast you can check out. I think the web address is www.bowlake.com but if not you can search for it.

By Shawn Ulsrud (thunderstruck) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 9:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ryan
I am waiting for my new LSV to arrive, I ordered it without any audio so I could install my own. The SSV and LSV are very similar as for stereo install, i am going with two 10" in the trunks and a 12" at my feet. The rest of the stereo will be on the port side with wired remotes around the boat. For the tower I went with the "WetBox" enclosure, it holds 4 6X9's. I have not recieved it yet, should be in on Monday or Tuesday and I am interested to see how it will fit.
Don't sweat the other posts, some people just like to give a hard time and if they are being serious.......it all comes around. As my wife tells me "it's all about the love, so don't sweat it!"
Later

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 9:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I screwed my battery box down so even if the strap comes loose it can't tip over. Just something to think about.

By Mark B (wakehound) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 8:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll second the Optima battery suggestion. You can mount that thing upside down and not have to worry about it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com