Pro Audio Tower Speakers.....for the ... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Pro Audio Tower Speakers.....for the Rider « Previous Next »
By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 2:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well the time has finally come to let you all in on my Tower Speaker project/offering. Although it clearly won't be for everyone, I only hope that it meets with some degree of approval.
So, NVS (New Vertical Systems) is a relity and is giving you a sneak preview of the "Entity" series of High Performance Tower Speakers designed specifically for the Rider.
I have incorporated only Pro Audio components consisting of larger diameter Woofers (2 options)and Horn Loaded Compression Drivers. In case you're not familliar with "Pro Audio" let me describe it this way.
Pro Audio is a segment of audio equipment that is specifically designed for the Professional Musician and supporting Sound Engineers that will set up in Clubs, Concert Halls/Arenas, and other large venues. These are the speakers that Musicians choose to entertain you with while at these larger then car or listening room locations.
I could go on and on but so would anybody that is passionate about his stuff. So, I will leave you with a couple of photos and the idea that sound systems, and specifically speakers, are really quite a personal thing. So, whether you are all into the specs (included at web site) or just know good sound when you hear it, my advice to anyone is don't buy anything unless you can hear it in the environment that you intend to use it in. Only then do you really know what you are getting.
So, having said that, we do not do demo's in a closed environment. We offer two ways to listen to our stuff, 1) a demo set up on an SUV, and 2) of course, behind a boat. You are invited to take a listen to either of them.
You can check out the web site for more information at NVS1.net.
Thanks again Bill and Mike.
D out

By richard holmgren (gundogg) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 2:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
NO Price??? That is just mean!

I Like...what is the weight of each assembly?

By Kevin Geary (wakescene) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 2:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Who makes the drivers?

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 2:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Finally! Nice looking set up Duane. Those are Eminence drivers, right? Or are they actually Pro-Audio? Or are you offering both?

Scott

(Message edited by oshensurfer on March 04, 2004)

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 3:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Scott.
Yes, the dirvers are Eminence. We treat the cones with a polymer and UR resistant barrier which makes the cones virtually water proof. We cannont detect any degredation from this process.
The current model we are using is the Beta series. The specs on the web site are copied from Eminence.
D

By bill montanye (bill) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 3:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
pricing??}

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 4:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I want to respect the forum rules about selling so if you have pricing questions please email the contact from the web site.
I do however appreciate any comments/opinions.
D out

By bill montanye (bill) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 4:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
how about pricing on the website then??that would be nice for people browsing...

thanks

By Levi Cress (levi) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 4:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wow...they look great Duane! The sure sounded awesome the time I was out w/ you.

What are they weighing in at per unit?

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 4:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill, thanks for the feedback. I will update the web site this evening.
Levi, how have you been? I'm still playing your mix.
The weight is about the same as was the PVC version or about 35lbs for the 8's. The 10's are a little more then that. I need to weigh them on something accurate but that gives you an idea.
D

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 8:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Can't wait to ride behind your boat and listen to those bad boys.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 8:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll take Two! Very impressive!

(Message edited by MonsterTower on March 04, 2004)

By Levi Cress (levi) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Duane - I'm glad you're still liking it! I'm doing well and I'd love to come out and board w/ you guys again...but I'm moving to Idaho in a week! I'll be representing (ie crashing) up there for all the Delta folks.

Also...here is your website w/ a "clickable" link so everyone can just click away w/o typing it in....I'm looking out fer ya! :-)

www.NVS1.net

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
So is the price for a each or per pair. It's a little confusing on the website.

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 1:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Lance, sorry to hear you are leaving us but Idaho will be getting a good dude. Thanks and good luck. Did you want me to take care of your boat for you? j/k
Greg, thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at the site and see if I can clarify it better.
To put it another way, the less than $1K is for 1 assembly that contains 2 woofers plus a HLCD. The over $1K is for two of them.
The thinking in offering just a single unit is that 2 units may simply be too much sound for some people but like it anyway.
FYI, a single Entity 808 is essentially equal to the NVERT pair but in a single package.
Also, it gives you an opportunity to upgrade from a single to a double.
Thanks again for the feedback.
D out

By Wakeside.com (wakeside1) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 10:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Duane - Your new NVS systems look great and I'm sure perform incredible as well. You were the one that convinced me that HLCD would be a great choice on a tower speaker system. I'm sure they crank at 80 feet. Do they still sound good close up? That was always my concern. If they sound as good close up as they do for the rider, then you have probably started a new and innovative trend. Is the 35 lbs per side, or for a pair?

I look forward to seeing them and hearing them in person.

Mike
http://www.wakeside.com

By Matt Anderson (xaggie) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 3:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
These things look awesome and should crank from what i've read. I have 2 questions 1. What is the advantage of using the "Pro Audio" components vs a more powerful sub? 2. are they available with clamps for the 3 inch tower on the new X-Star? Matt

By dodge (triplexracing) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 4:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
how much does the enclosures cost? 2 speakers and the horn is no more than 300max at
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=113&sm=2

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 9:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
1) Mike, Thanks for the kind words and all the encouragement to do this. As far as the sound up close goes, it is clean but of course needs to be turned down if you are directly in front of the speakers and wanting to listen to it.
I've simplified the required Amplifier situation by adding some attenuation circuitry that addresses the overbearing HLCD. It was interresting to see that using the 10's along with the HLCD that very little attenuation was needed.
I look forward to getting your opinion on the performance. Any plans to be in the Cali Delta area/SFO Bay any time soon?
2)Matt Anderson, Your first question "Pro Audio vs a more powerful sub" is a little baffling. Unless you think that these woofers are prducing frequencies under 160 Hz....which they are not.I recommend that the HPF be used on your amplifier. Based on your amplifier, you may be able to adjust the crossover point but is still not in the "Sub Woofer" range. These woofers do not take the place of a Sub Woofer. Mid Range starting in the near 200 Hz up to over 3k Hz and the HLCD starts at 2500 Hz on up to over 4K.
Matt's second question on 3 inch clamps. The clamp style you see in the photos's are not yet available in 3 inch, however, it's a matter of asking for them, designing them and making them. I'm sure that a demand is forthcoming and should not encure any NRE for purchase. If you are real serious, email me and we can discuss fabricating someting for you at very reasonable cost.
Now lets see if I can make "dodge" happy.
Dodge, much more then $300 is in one of the assemblies. I wish that assemblies of all types of things were available for only the sum of the parts.
I'm not sure if your comment/question is intended to find out what my cost is, or simply state that you feel my price is too high.
Several things come into play when determining a MSRP. This is a very high quality product made of the best materials and fabricated by machinists that take pride in their work.
I feel that the price is comepetitive with the rest of the Tower Speaker offerings. In fact, based on the performance of the "Entity" speakers, I think it's a steal.
Sure there is some profit for me,I wouldn't do it for free, nor would you.
So, if you just think the price is too high,
I hope that you will accept my invitation to come and listen to them.
Take a ride and then decide.
Thanks for the comments everyone.
D out

By Matt Anderson (xaggie) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 9:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok I see the mid range is the objective with these components. Cool but as mentioned earlier the performance is designed for clarity at distance,(Thus horn) rather than sound in the boat? How will they compare vs a component set when stopped and listening to music?

By dodge (triplexracing) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 10:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
no offense Duane i just couldn't see how the price come into play considering the speakers aren't that much. any pics from behind/below/atop close up. do u have to get the grills u made or will others fit. whats the return policy. not all of us live in cali to hear the demo.agian i didnt mean to offend on the price. all tower speakers are to much if u ask me

By Wakeside.com (wakeside1) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 10:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Duane, I hope to be traveling through Northern California in June. I would love to stop by to check out these tower speaker systems and to listen to them in person.

I agree with you that your MSRP is reasonable considering what is included in these high end systems. Most DIY'ers don't understand what it takes to design and build a systems like these and then to run a profitable business. Anyone on this thread who has ever owned a business knows what I am talking about.

Mike

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 7:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Matt, yes the concern voiced by many has been the sound quality in the boat. My experience with these is that the sound quality when turned down is still very good. I think it's a matter of control over the system. However, unless I'm in open water or at least where high volume is a concern (like around Disocvery Bay and the homes) I will fade /inout the tower and use more of the interrior speakers. Since the Sub Out on my head unit is not affected by this it seems to work quite nice. BTW, I only have 2, 6 1/2 coaxials inside the boat located under the rear seat facing forwards. This also helps with the Hi's that get bounced off the top of the bimini when it is up. Otherwise, under the bimini hi's from the tower would be lacking.
Dodge, appoligies if I seemed defensive. Didn't expect that type of question and therefore wasn't prepared well. As a consumer also, I feel you with the cost thing. All I can suggest is do your research and make sure you are comfortable with your final purchase based on your goals/criteria.
For pics, I'll add some more to the web site later today. Grills: I am looking at using some others' that are rather plain but would have the NVS logo on it. Untill then, the Audiobahn Flame is the only offering. Return policy: My goal is complete customer satisfaction so if someone buys any NVS item and decides not to keep it, just return it in original condition and I'll give you your money back no questions, except Why? (so I can make improvements if needed).
Mike: I look forward to seeing you in June. I will take personal offense if I find that you came through and had time but didn't stop in j/k.
(Thanks for the support.)
D out

By Bobo (baja) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 8:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Duane,
Good to see you up and running everything is looking good.

From my personal experience in building my own Pro Audio system I can tell you in fact that the pricing offered is a deal IMO. The process is very involved and even more time consuming than I ever thought, with the look and sound I was trying to achieve, similar to what Duane is offering.

The sound and clarity is more than enough at 80 feet and sounds great at the back of the boat as well. Another thing I have noticed is that it is not overly loud in the boat when cranked up, especially when the bimini is up, perhaps itís because they are so directional in sound.

The only complaints are that the set up is heavy and if you make the mistake of walking up onto the engine compartment when they are turned up its going to hurt.

Tower volume control is a must.

Good luck,
Dave

By Mark Graham (boardmaster69) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 7:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Will you sell the cans seperately without the drivers? My system is all JL and I would just love to keep it that way. By the way, great product sounds like it should rock.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com