Another sub/amp question. I want you... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Another sub/amp question. I want your opinions. « Previous Next »
By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 7:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Give me your educated opinions. I have narrowed my decision to the below listed subs and amps. Iím looking for SQL. I plan to put the sub under the dash in a slot ported box built to the manufacturers recommendations. I currently have an Infinity Basslink under there and a JL 10W0 bandpass enclosure with 120 watt amp under the gullwing passenger area. I plan to remove both if this setup produces the output I want. OTW, I may move the Basslink to the passenger under seat area since it is small enough to not take up all the space.

Iíve ruled out the larger W7ís due to their price and power requirements. I want to stay with one battery for now. I donít have tower speakers and donít plan to add them till later. So for now I will have 4 6.5Ē Coaxials, 2 6x9ís, the sub and possibly the basslink. The 6.5ís and 6x9ís will have 40 watts to each. That means my maximum total wattage would be 1420 so I donít expect to need 2 batteries right now.

I picked the larger amps due to the need to have sufficient wattage at 12.5volts for when the stereo will be on with the engine off.

Amplifiers

- JL 500/1
- PPI PCX 1500
- Hifonics BX1000D
- Alpine MRDM1000
- Orion 8002 - Could not use with 12W6v2 due to 2ohm mono load.
- Phoenix Gold T1200.1
- Soundstream Rubicon 1000-2 - Could not use with 12W6v2 due to 2ohm mono load.
- Soundstream Tarantula TR/700-2 - Could not use with 12W6v2 due to 2ohm mono load.
- Nakamichi PA8001

Subs

JL 12W6v2
JL 10W7
Adire Shiva 12
Adire Brahma 10
Elemental A series 12 inch
Infinity Perfect Q 12DVC
Eclipse Ti 12
IDMAX 12
Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12Ē

I plan to audition all the available subs that are sold here locally before deciding but your opinions are much appreciated.

By richard holmgren (gundogg) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 8:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Personally I would install the 12W6-V2...if you are not willing to go with the W7. I have had great luck with all of my JL products and my Phoenix Gold Amps. that W6-V2 will hit very hard with the Tantrum 1200. However, if you are willing to look at the tantrum 1200, you might want to look at the JL 1000, only because that amp will stay at 1000 Watts with a voltage drop down around 11, where the Phoenix Gold loses some of its power.

I am not against Phoenix Gold Amps...that is all I run, however with my recent experience of installing JL amps in my brothers truck...I can say I was very impressed. But, I understand the price can hurt a lot.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 8:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks. The 1000/1 is just a little out of my price range. The Tantrum 1200.1 can be had for under $400 on the net where the 1000/1 can't be had for less than $700.

By Doug Hanson (xtigeman) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 8:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cannot you not wire a 12W6v2 D2 to a 4 ohm mono load.

By Doug Hanson (xtigeman) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 8:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tantrum will make a great bass amp.

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 9:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'd run the infinity with the JL 500/1, of course I say that, since I currently run two infinity perfect 12's off a 500/1 :-)

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 5:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Doug, the 12w6v2 only comes in a dual 4 ohm config.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 5:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tim, do you think one Infinity would get loud enough. I only want to run one sub.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 7:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Okay, I ordered the PG Tantrum 1200.1. Can't believe the prices on Ebay from dealers with long history and excellent feedback. $331 to my door.

I normally try to support my local dealers since they make it possible to touch and feel the product before buying. But at that price it was too hard to pass up.

Now I need to go audition some subs. I will probably pay the extra to support the local shop. OTW, I would feel guilty about using them to make my decision and then just order online to save a few bucks.

I already have a PG amp in my truck driving my IDQ 10 and it has performed flawlessly for over 2 years. Having had a good experience with PG and knowing their reputation makes me comfortable ordering the amp without auditioning it.

But the sub is different and I want to hear it before I buy it.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 7:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So Doug, one last question. Would you pick a 12w6v2 over a IDMax 12 running off a Tantrum 1200.1 in a 2 ohm load?

By Zedz Dead (ktm250) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 7:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg...I'm here to hijack your post as per your request. What topic should I bring up; the Tige thread has eaten up so many good ones...What about rising fuel prices due to the fact that foreign refiners are refusing to adhere to US mandated low emission fuel? Since there is only the US market requesting it foreign producers are turning to other markets and by such are driving global gas prices lower.

But I digressÖGo with JL the 12W6 is a great sub you will not be disappointed. I would recommend the 1000/1 for the twelve (depending on what you listen to and required volume levels). If rock is your musical bag use the 10W6 with the 500/1 (the 10 has more punch IMHO)Öagain it depends on how hard you are going to drive it which amp I would use. Follow the JL PDF instructions online for both the enclosure and amp choice and set up. Doug is correct you can only operate it in 2ohm and 8ohm configurations. Here is the link http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/W6v2_MAN.pdf. If we can help you with pricing for amps or the sub let me know.

Sorry it was a short term jacking but it was the best I had at the moment.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 8:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You must have been typing when I posted. You thread hijacker you.

I bought the PG 1200.1 and am going to audition the 12w6v2 soon. I listen to rock and country. No hip hop for us and very little pop music either.

But we do like to tie multiple boats together and just hang out with the stereo cranked up at times. So I want it to have that deep, solid feel to the bass. It sounds pretty good now but it's just doesn't grab you by the you know what and let you know it's there.

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 8:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chef: "Have you ever hear of the emancipation proclamation"

General: "I don't listen to Hip Hop"

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 8:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Huh?

I'm guessing that came from South Park but I don't remember that line.

(Message edited by vortech347 on March 04, 2004)

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 9:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yea its from the movie, right after he comes out with "Operation Human Shield"

"don't forget to protect our tanks and planes"

so wrong on so many levels, yet still funny

By Zedz Dead (ktm250) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 9:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
"well after you guys stole "in the hizzel for shizzel" we changed had to change to flippity floppity floop." -Chef to Mr. Garrison

Not the movie but it aired the other night with Mr. Garrison and Mr. Slave...sick on so many levels.

By Zedz Dead (ktm250) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 9:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg, given the amp you now own and your musical choice along with the goals of "deep solid feel" go with the 12W6...if you have the room for the ported enclosure size. Are you going to be able to "audition" it in the style of enclosure you looking to build? Just curious.

Oh and sorry about hikacking your thread...I saw it as a call to arms. Didn't realize it was intended for Doug...a hijacker by any other name blah blah blah.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 11:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hahahaha. No problem. Your opinion as an experienced 12w6v2 user is appreciated.

Doug's good at hijacking stereo and Tige' threads. But he does have experience with both so hijacking may be a bit harsh of a term. Just bustin' on you Doug. At least your pretty levelheaded when all the Tige' lovers give you the business for not being one of them.

I don't know if the local shop has the sub in a ported box or not. I plan to install it under the dash of my Nautique so I'm pretty sure there is enough room for the recommend enclosure from JL's website.

I still want Doug's opinion of his ID Max.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 1:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bump for Doug's response. Or anyone else that has compared the new W6v2's vs. IDmax.

Or even the 10w7 vs. teh above since I have enough power to drive it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com