Suggestions for head unit? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Suggestions for head unit? « Previous Next »
By drunk monkey (drunkmonkey) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 7:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just bought a '90 Sport Nautique, the only thing I need to replace is the head unit.

The boat has 3 75W amps driving four 5" Speakers in the boat and two 6x9 on the tower. All Polk Audio.

What units under $250 or so will be good to run the system? Will the size matter or will any car stereo fit allright?

By Doug Hanson (xtigeman) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 7:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Rockford Fosgate $ 350 internet pricing head unit still in box never opened that is supposed to be made by Dennon. I bought it for someone over seas and he backed out and I am stuck with it now. I would sell it for $ 325 and cover shipping costs. This could be negotiable. If interested, I will pull it out and link it you to it at the Sounddomain website I bought it from.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 7:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The ability to play mp3's would be my first priority. Hopefully, the deck Doug is talking about will as the RF decks have nice numbers on paper.

By Doug Hanson (xtigeman) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 7:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here it is. It actually had dual 20 bit DAC converters just like my $ 1,000 McIntosh head unit.

The cost was apparently only $ 299, so I would sell it for $ 275 and I would cover shipping. I just need to pull the invoice and make sure that is the right one and right price.

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ROCRFX8250TI

I pulled th receipt and I actually paid $ 349 for it on February 8, 2004. Still seel it for $ 275 if interested.

The stock number on my receipt is:

ROCRFX8250

By 882001 (882001) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 8:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
mp3 and built in crossover is what i am in search of. im looking at kenwood excelon. i have always had good luck w/ kenwood-----bad luck w/ sony crap!!

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 8:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i use a $199 JVC cd/mp3 deck in both my truck and my boat. solid unit, and both work extremely well. and my buddy just put one in his boat too.

i would go the same way if i was putting a new one in today.

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 8:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I installed the Sony CDX-MP80 in my boat and I'm very happy with it. Plays CDs and MP3 disks, has 3 sets of 4v pre outs and is compatible with the Sony Marine wired remote. You can pick up the deck for about $250 on eBay.

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 8:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the MP80 as well and am happy with it. You can also add marine remotes and XM to the head unit as well.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 4:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll add another vote for the Sony MP80. I liked the one in the boat so much I got one for my truck as well.

By Zedz Dead (ktm250) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 4:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sony MP80, we install it in all new boats here.

By D O double G (d_o_double_g) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 7:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sony CDX-MP80 gets another vote. $245 at etronics.

http://etronics.resultspage.com/display.php?w=Sony+CDX-MP80&p=Q&ts=dynamic&Store=

By John (hyperryd) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 8:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sony CDX-M850MP on my boat, with the marine remote and the RM-X65 wireless dome remote that I wouldn't trade for anything. You can also hook up the CDX-757MX CD changer that has a 12 second memory buffer that never skips, even in the roughest water. It sounds like you have had some bad luck with Sony, but I have installed quite a few of those decks in boats without any problems. I don't sell Sony, but I recomend them because they work in boats so nice with all of the remote options.

By 882001 (882001) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 2:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
well i used to own alot of sony stuff. it all works good when it works and then boom its broke usualy within a year{o.k. 1 day after waranty expires, whenever that may be}. that just means i havent had good luck w/ buy it all, i dont care! kenwood stuff has never let me down.

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 3:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Another vote on the MP80. Great features with a display that you can acutally see in bright sun light. Wow, are they that cheap now? I got mine last spring for $275 and thought it was an awsome deal.
Good luck

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 3:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I intended to mention that luck may have something to do with it but the MP80 is the third Head unit in my then 3 year old boat. The two before were both Kenwood. One's in the trash and the other one is in my commuter Honda and skips real bad on hard right turns and small bumps.
Good luck

By Levi Cress (levi) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 5:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
drunk - I like your taste in boats! I have the same one..... If you have any pics I'd like to see 'em. I'll pass along mine as well....it's always good to see what others have done their boat for ideas. (ps. is this the SLAPAHO (sp) boat that was on the board a couple weeks ago?)

On the deck. I really like my sony in my truck. Older ES level deck. I'd second the MP3 capability and also something that you could plug an iPod into or similar.

By Doug Hanson (xtigeman) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 5:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Sony would be better in that you have the remote capabilities, but as far as electronics the RF would be better. Cannot believe I would tout an RF unit, but this one has Dennon internals and 20 bit processing. No way to do a wired remote though unless you wanted to do a repeater.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com