Where Do I Run All This Wire!?!?!? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Where Do I Run All This Wire!?!?!? « Previous Next »
By Shawn Ulsrud (thunderstruck) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 7:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am wiring up my new boats tower with lights and speakers and am not sure how to run the wires. I am installing a 4 channel amp (4 pair of speaker wires), front facing lights and rear facing lights (switched seperate). I would like to run them inside the tower (using the dental floss). Has anyone ran this much wire through the tower and what is the cleanest look where the wire is exposed from tower to boat?

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 7:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Run your light wires down one side of the tower and your speaker wires on the other side. You can install a plug where the wires come out of the tower and go though the hull for a cleaner look.

By A. P. (bigdad) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 9:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
This may be too little too late. But, you don't neccessarily need a four channel amp. If you are only running 4 speakers on top then you can get a quality two channel amp that is stable at two ohms and run the four speakers in series. That would only require you to run one set of speaker wires. If you are running more than 4 speakers then you can disregard my post.

By Shawn Ulsrud (thunderstruck) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 4:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the replies Guys
Bigdad, I had a two channel amp I was going to hook up but decided to go with the four channel. I have a feeling I will regret my decision in the next week or so.

By cabalisticfire (cabalisticfire) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How much power does your 4 channel amp output? I use 2 channels of a 4 channel amp for my tower speakers (Deafcon IIIs). Based on your 1st post it looks like you've got 4 speakers for your tower so that means you can wire 2 speakers in parallel on two channels instead of 1 speaker on each channel. Since this will drop the impedance to 2 ohms (assuming 4 ohm speakers) you'll be pushing the same amount of power using just 2 channels as you would using all 4. Then, take the remaining 2 channels and power your interior speakers with them.

By richard holmgren (gundogg) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 7:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What is the recommended method of wiring speakers in parallel. I understand that the speaker wire is split once it comes off the amplifierand goes to each speaker to wire them in parallel, but what is the recommended method of splitting the speaker wire or splicing another one in?

By richard holmgren (gundogg) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 8:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
And how exactly does that work...I have installed a few stereos at this point, but I have never wired anything in parallel.

For instance...I have a catalog for a Phoenix Gold Octane 8.04 in front of me. The amp is rated at 125 x 4 into a 4 ohm stereo load. (I understand all the ratings) If you wire it into a 2 ohm stereo load then it it is rated at 200 x4.
That all makes sense, I am curious though, if you wire the 4 ohm speakers in parallel and the amp sees a 2 ohm load is each speaker going to receive the 200 watts or will they receive 100 watts each???

By cabalisticfire (cabalisticfire) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 11:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
When you wire in parallel, you're just wiring two speakers as if they were one big speaker. Each speaker sees half of the total power (assuming 2 speakers of equal impedance, which is 4 ohms in this case). Visually, it looks like this:

AMP[+++(pos wire)+++(+)SPEAK1(-)---(+)SPEAK2(-)|
[-----(neg wire)-----------------------------------|

By comparison here is 2 speakers wired in a series
AMP[+++(pos wire)+++(+)SPEAKER1(+)+++(+)SPEAKER2
[---------(neg wire)---(-)SPEAKER1(-)---(-)SPEAKER2

Wiring effects on impedance:
1 4ohm speaker on 1 channel= 4ohm
1 4ohm speaker bridged on 2 channels=2ohm
2 4ohm speakers in parallel on 1 channel= 2ohm
2 4ohm speakers in series on 1 channel= 8ohm

(Message edited by cabalisticfire on March 04, 2004)

By Jimmy Dager (jimmydager101) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 3:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
This is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I am running wires for speakers and I don't know what to do with the wires once I get them to the bottom of the tower. What do most of you guys use? Are there any good quick disconnectors out there? Do most people run the wires through the fiberglass or do they just run it around. Any help or Pictures would be very greatly appreciated.
Thanks

By cabalisticfire (cabalisticfire) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 5:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Speakon and Brad Harrison both make some good quick release connectors. Boss also sells a solution but it's overpriced IMO.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com