Brake Job On Trailer? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Brake Job On Trailer? « Previous Next »
By Rod (deiselgrover) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 1:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Any idea what new brakes would cost to have them installed on a double axle trailer. I am looking a boat right now that the owner says needs new brakes and was just trying to see what that would run. Thanks!

By wake_fun (wake_fun) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 1:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Disc or drum?
If they are drum just buy the entire backing plate that is fully assembled with the pads, springs, and everything. You just undo the brake line, undo four bolts that hold the plate on, and reverse the process. Of course bleed your brakes when you are done. Very easy!! They are roughly 50-70 bucks for each wheel.

By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 1:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did drums on mine last summer… It depends on if you need to replace the backing plates or just adjust the brakes… also depends if you need to replace the actuator or not. For drums you can have all of it done for less than $800 at a shop. For just a bit more you could look at doing a conversion from drum to discs. If you do it yourself you will save a bit of money. Try doing a search… there have been a number of helpful threads on this with links to sites for pricing out parts.

If you like the baot...tell him to split the cost and drop the price by $400 bucks and get em fixed later. Good luck.

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 1:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am in the process of replacing my disc brake assemblies due to corrosion and Boatmate Trailers said it is $130 for everything per wheel. These are UFP, they make the bearing buddies.

By Andrew Kerner (drewsy) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 2:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought the complete set (back plate, actuator, pads) at Boat US for about $140.00. Took about 2 hours to do it.

By Mik (norcalrider) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 5:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I converted my drums to disc recently. Cost me $270 total.

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 6:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I also converted my drums to disk and it was no where near 800 (did it myself of course), closer to Miks numbers (around 300)including converting the master cyl (to include replacement also, it was rusted from water entering it)

By BR (blr) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 11:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
did brake pads (disc) on mine last year. $12.00 and about an hour. Boat brakes are really not much different than car brakes (disc or drum). If you can do car brakes, do it yourself and you'll save a bunch of $$$

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com