Best Canister Speakers? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Best Canister Speakers? « Previous Next »
By Jason E (w8kskee) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 9:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What are the best sounding canister speakers for a tower? I know everyone has opinions, but I am looking the ones that can put out the most power. I am mainly looking at the new Titan/chrome cans/speakers, and then the Mako chrome canisters. I want something chrome.

By D O double G (d_o_double_g) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 1:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The two you named are a good place to start. Boss, Titan, and Mako offer their setups sans speakers.... so you can fill them with almost any 6 1/2 of your choice.

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 2:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a question. Do you guys feel that the cannister has a lot to do with how good the speaker sounds? If you take the Mako, Boss, and a few others that are similar in design, is one going to stand out over the other if the same speakers are used? I wouldn't think so but I don't know for sure.

If it were me, I would get the chrome cans on ebay for dirt cheap, line them, and put a top of the line speaker in them. You would still come out way ahead on price and most likely have a much better sounding speaker. You can put the savings into better, more powerful amps. Just a thought.

By Andrew Adams (wolfpack) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 2:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cannisters have very little to do with how well a 6.5" speaker performs. It's not moving the air volume that requires this design. Get what you like, but I would buy a decent looking set off of ebay and throw one heck of an amp behind them.

By Wakeside.com (wakeside1) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The enclosures that were on eBay a couple of weeks ago were polished billet, not chrome. There is quite a difference if someone wants chrome. Mako, Titan, and Wake Designs are currently chrome. Fluid and Skylon will soon be adding chrome models.

The volume of the enclosure does effect the sound. Smaller cavity usually means less distortion but also less low end. Too big and you get the low end but lose some volume. There is usually a good compromise which all of the quality OEM tower speaker manufacturers mentioned above take into account when designing their systems.

For the past couple of years, the MB Quart components have performed very well for tower speakers. They are crystal clear, handle 130 watts RMS per side, and sound great. This year, many tower speaker manufacturers have added a Reference and a Premium series upgrade. Reference Series uses a 3/4 inch tweeter and the Premium uses a full 1 inch tweeter.

I recommend two sets of 6 1/2 component or coaxial tower speakers. The MB Quart Reference and Premium Series coaxial is identical to the component (separates) for this years model. The Kicker KX800.4 puts out 800 watts RMS into 2 ohms and matches two sets of MB Quarts perfectly. This amp goes for about $275 street price. What I like about it is that it is totally stable at 800 watts into 2 ohms all day long with air temps over 100 degrees (I've done it). This amp has huge heat sinks and cooling fans.

Mike

By Wakeside.com (wakeside1) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The enclosures that were on eBay a couple of weeks ago were polished billet, not chrome. There is quite a difference if someone wants chrome. Mako, Titan, and Wake Designs are currently chrome. Fluid and Skylon will soon be adding chrome models.

The volume of the enclosure does effect the sound. Smaller cavity usually means less distortion but also less low end. Too big and you get the low end but lose some volume. There is usually a good compromise which all of the quality OEM tower speaker manufacturers mentioned above take into account when designing their systems.

For the past couple of years, the MB Quart components have performed very well for tower speakers. They are crystal clear, handle 130 watts RMS per side, and sound great. This year, many tower speaker manufacturers have added a Reference and a Premium series upgrade. Reference Series uses a 3/4 inch tweeter and the Premium uses a full 1 inch tweeter.

I recommend two sets of 6 1/2 component or coaxial tower speakers. The MB Quart Reference and Premium Series coaxial is identical to the component (separates) for this years model.

The Kicker KX800.4 amp puts out 800 watts RMS into 2 ohms and matches two sets of MB Quarts perfectly. This amp goes for about $275 street price. What I like about it is that it is totally stable at 800 watts into 2 ohms all day long with air temps over 100 degrees (I've done it). This amp has huge heat sinks and cooling fans so you won't have problems in your boat.

Mike

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com