Towing with a motorhome. Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Towing with a motorhome. « Previous Next »
By Geoff Jarvis (jarv) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 1:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm looking at getting a class C motorhome to tow my boat with. My only concern is being able to back down the ramp with the boat. Do you guys with 25 - 30 foot motorhomes often get stuck where the slope changes on the ramp due to the distance of the axle from the tow point? What are your experiences with this? I know some of the lakes I go to have fairly steep ramps.

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 1:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What you have is a tough situation. Many ramps are OK, some will get you stuck. You can get an extender to give you some addition tongue length, but that will not substitute for a proper vehicle. I have hooked up guys like you and either launched or recovered their boat. However, you cannot depend upon strangers.

As an alternative, you can call a tow truck or rent a U-Haul truck. That is real expensive.

Also, if you have a trailer dolly, you can use a winch to launch and recover your boat. It is dangerous though. The cable will be at your legs. If it snaps, it will be like a knife.

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 1:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Launched at Havasu, Mojave and Mead with no problems. Not a class C though.

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 2:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey I have Also Launched at Mojave, That is a one steep ass ramp. my Brother had a older Class C, with a 454 gas V-8. We were towing a 24 foot Crown line, I think it weighs about 4500-5000 lbs. I was wondering if It wouldnt bring the boat out of the water, But it had no problems. Your only prolbem will be launching on a busy weekend and waiting for there to be enough room to swing around while people in back of you cut in line to go in front because they think they will only take a second. Its very frustrating, Now I know how trucker's feel at rush hour with all the smaller cars zooming in and around you ! good luck

By Brad Duffy (the_madness) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 3:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've never done it (or seen it done for that matter), but what about a hitch reviever on the front of the RV. Unhook the boat as close to the launch as possible, then flip the RV around and hook up to the front to put the boat in the water. May take some getting practice in manuvering and probably wouldn't be the best approach on a crowded weeked, but should solve the long wheelbase problem.

By Geoff Jarvis (jarv) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 4:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've heard of the front tow hitch being done, but I've never seen it used either. I think that would work for putting it in the water, but would the strain on the RV be too much for pulling it out of the water in reverse?

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 6:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
When I was growing up, we had a GMC motorhome and had a hitch in the front. We used it every time we dropped the boat in the water and it worked great. The motorhome was front wheel drive, so I don't know if that would matter.

By Troy Lindstrom (troyl) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 9:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Never had any problems with my 25ft class c. Traction with an RV is rarely a problem. The only thing that stops it is soft sand. The engine cant push it through soft sand and you can burn the trans up real quick. I have launched on dirt ramps, steep ramps, narrow ramps. Never really had any more problems than you would with a big van. On a crowded ramp its nice to have a spotter and night launching is a biatch because the visablilty is so bad. I end up getting out two or three times to check my position on dark narrow ramps at night.

Front hitch should work fine, but I would think it would be more of a hassel than a help.

By Dan (dfish) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 11:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

On bodies of water whose levels fluctuate (rivers controlled by dams) make launch/recovery with a motorhome an interesting and sometimes impossible task.

We solved the problem by always inviting friends with a 4X4 on vacation.

By chane (chane) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 6:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Can you not pull a tow vehicle towing the boat all at once?

By Brad Flack (flackpack) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 8:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
We hooked up a small video surveilance system from Sam's clubs used for convenience stores on a 30' class C. That allowed us to watch the boat and trailer when backing on long ramps. The monitor is small and also doubles as a TV for the kids when they are in the overhead cab on road trips. There has been no issues with any ramps yet.

By Glenn Anderson (mx21) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 8:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Go with the camera or backer(with FRS radio) for visibilty. A front hitch provides good visibilty- we put these on our ambulances to launch our swiftwater Zodiacs. We have the option of leaving it (tow vehicle with pretty flashing lights) on the ramp just out of the water. I think the hooking/unhooking/turning around would be a pain. Plus it would cost $$$$ supplying all the waiting boats with beer bribes while the spectacle ensued.

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 9:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used to have a 26' class C. Worked great and would agree with visual issues mentioned above. The only place I wouldn't even try though was at Tower Park on the Cali Delta. Short, Very Steep, with a tight turn at the top. Fortunately, they have a tractor service there.
Good luck.

By bruce walker (bruce) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 9:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Get a truck camper instead. When you get to the lake drop the camper at the campsite and use the truck to do whatever you need. Grocerys, launch boat, whatever. With a truck camper, you still have a full bath, beds for 4, full kitchen, and you only have to buy the truck once. With a motorhome you have to buy a truck that just sits there until you go camping. Just a thought.

www.rv.net has a truck camper forum that has some good info.

By Randall (rbb) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 5:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check my profile. I pull boat and camper together. That way I don't have to unhook and move my "home" every time I go to the ramp.

By Randall (rbb) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 5:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Also, I used to do it this way: [url]http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum/testalbum.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=663[/url]
when all I had was a tent camper.

(sorry 'bout the double post)

By chane (chane) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 5:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Umm, did you have to weld a hitch reciever on the back of your boat trailer? No probs w/the platform?

I might consider getting a small pop-up if I could pull that off w/my boat trailer..

By Randall (rbb) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 6:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey chane. (nice to see someone else up this early :-) )

I had a welder make a bar that bolted across the rear of the trailer (it was about the level of the exhausts, and fit about an inch aft of the rudder). The bar had a hitch ball welded in the center. The bar had to be removed b4 launching the boat. The popup just (barely) cleared the platform in a turn, but the propane tank (on the camper tongue) would bump it if you went up a steep driveway. I usually removed the platform unless I was taking a very familiar route. Eventually I got the welder to add a smaller hitch ball (on the cross bar) off to one side so I could hook up a sway controller. This made things a lot more stable (kinda "stiffened" the hinge between the boat and camper -- made them act more like one big trailer). IIRC, the camper only weighed about 900 lbs, so it didn't stress the trailer much.

By NeilM (neilm) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 9:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Problem is that setup is not legal everywhere. For sure, it's outlawed in British Columbia.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com