Maintenance and Warranty Question Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Maintenance and Warranty Question « Previous Next »
By ldurnal (ldurnal) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone know if/what impact doing most routine maintenance yourself affects the warranty.

By Grant Stewart (elmog) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 11:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I do not believe there is a warranty impact from user-performed routine maintenance.

Anyone else?

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 11:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Keep good records so you can prove it. Keep a log and the receipts from the parts.

I am a dealer and encourage owner maintenance. Much higher satisfaction rates and problems are detected before they get expensive.

By thomas ryan (g3revenge) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 11:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
leave a paper trail. reciepts for proper filters, oil ect.

one good thing about dealer service is catching things that a owner may not notice. i pay to get the oil changed on my truck and pay a little more, but all the fluids are topped off and the chassis gets a good going over.

do new boats have the arbitration clause that is becoming the standard of the automotive industry?

By thomas ryan (g3revenge) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 11:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
karl, are the owners or dealer mechanics better at finding 'things?' your comment made me curious.

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 12:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
An experienced mechanic can find stuff. However, an educated owner with his head under the engine cover and listening will catch things before a tow in is required. That makes warranty easier and get the boat back on the water faster. I still like to see the boat at the 20 hour check and major tune-ups, but oil changes and similar events can be handled by the owner without a problem.

I encourage the owner to check the oil before each day. The tranny oil should be checked once a week or so. Smell the oil. If it smells burnt - have the motor or tranny looked at professionally. This will solve a lot of problems.

Pulling out a spark plug or two every 20 hours or so will also tell the owner a lot. Chalky or tar deposits require service. The object is to catch problems early before you are waiting the entire summer for parts.

If the drivetrain vibrates, check the prop. If the prop is fine, take the boat in for a shaft alignment. Motors shift over time. Proper alignment can save the tranny and/or the output shaft.

Also, before the riding season, run you boat around a few times and put some hours on it. Look for signs of trouble and get them fixed right away. Many problems are gradual and can be noted in advance if you know what to look for.

One caution, carefully read the warranty terms and follow them to the letter. There is no slack.

By ldurnal (ldurnal) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 1:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanks karl

By DJL (dholio) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 3:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Karl,
Can't imagine you would be making too much money at your shop. If I were a dealer, the more oil changes, etc that my shop could do the better! You are in business to make a profit. Kind of hard to do successfully if your customers aren't coming to you for general service work IMHO.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com