Grounding ideas??? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Grounding ideas??? « Previous Next »
By richard holmgren (gundogg) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have seen a few different posts on grounding in boats as of recently on this forum and some others. It was recommended to ground to the battery, but I would think that after you grounded your 3 or four amps and your light bars to the battery that it would begin to get awfully cluttered and you could be running a lot of footage of some expensive cable. Wouldn't it make more sense if you ran some 0 Guage cable into the area you had your amps setup and installed a grounding post to some type of block and attached all of your amps to that post???

I like to make all my wiring as neat as possible and I thought this might be a good idea...any thoughts?

By salty87 (salty87) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
that's exactly what a power distribution block does. you run fat cables from the power and grounds to a block, then smaller cables to the components. you can get them with fuses on the block or run in-line fuses.

here's a list from good ole crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fq9gItin5a3/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=11&g=715&s=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=

By richard holmgren (gundogg) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I installed my truck stereo system with a fused power distribution block, but I had never tried it with a ground, and was curious if anyone had actually done this before

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There is no need to put fuses on the ground wire. I ran two 2 gauge wires directly from the battery to distribution blocks, one fused for the positive wires and a non-fused for the ground. Even that way it does get expensive but it wouldn't make any sense to run individual components back to the battery.

By Chris Moore (bullcrow) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 1:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
When you say ground to the battery do you mean literally hook the ground wire up to the negative terminal of the battery?

By Stan Tannner (sbt3) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 2:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chris that is what they mean. Just connect it to the negative terminal to ground it. In cars you can usually put it to the chassis cause it is all tied together but since the boats are fiberglass you have to go to the battery to get a good ground.

By sydwayz (sydwayz) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 5:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Street wire distibution/fused block. 2/0 welding cable from battery and #2 to the amps.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com