adding weight to an I/O Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » adding weight to an I/O « Previous Next »
By Josh Thompson (thompsonjosh) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 8:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a bayliner capri with 190 horse and i want to add wieght. Maybe around 1200 pounds or so. Please help me figure out how and where to put weight to maximize my wake. Like with my v hull my wake is very peaky so i would like to increase size and make it fatter at the same time. I kow nothing so any suggestions on how to do it would be great, a and any money saving ideas...thanks

By LF (subjekt137) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 9:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Josh, i'm not too familiar with your boat or I/O's. But i suggest going out like I did with our old boat, and getting a Fat Sac (600 lbs) and a pair of Side Sacs (250 lbs each. That way you have 3 sacs and you can mess around and put them throughout your boat until you find the perfect wake.

By Stan Tannner (sbt3) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 9:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Josh,
I had a bayliner years ago and this is how I had it. around 400 in sand under the back seats next to the engine and then a full size sac in the walkway in the nose. The you will want to use the trim a little to help clean up the wake. That should be pretty good. The biggest problem with I/O's and one of the many reasons I eventually went to a inboard is that when you use the trim in rough water the boat wants to porpoius. The bayliner I had use to have a good wake if you were in butter, unfortunately where I ride that is hard to come by.

By Bob (bob) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 11:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
with the I/O you probably want 2/3 to 3/4 of the weight up front or in the ski locker but you will need to play with the placement and the trim. My I/O doesnt porpoise unless there is way too little weight in the front, with the trim in the middle (where it stops when you just hold the trim switch in to the first button click).

By Mark (grampawakerider) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 7:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 2000 Bayliner with merc 190hp i/o. I have just recently started adding weight. Bob is absolutely right about the weight placement. I only have 700lbs but usually have another 450lbs in passengers. I put 350 in the bow on the floor plus another 85 pound sack up there too. Then I put one 85 pound sac in each of the rear seats and another 85 pounder in front of the motor cover. Then I trimmed to about 1/4 up and my wake is no longer peaky. Don't try to pull your rider up with the boat still trimmed!!
Thats all I can say for now, I'll take a pic of my wake next time out. (This week I hope!)

By Corey Jones (mjones47) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 6:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Josh,
I have just bought a Malibu and am selling basically the same boat you have. If you play around with the weight you can get a decent wake. Like someone else stated if you are in ideal water conditions the boat will produce a better wake than if you are not. The fact is any variation will affect your wake. There is a fine line between a rideable wake and a wake that is all washed out on the passanger side of the boat. We used two sacs in the middle of the boat. On mine it seemed like the more weight we got in the center then cleaner and rideable the wake was. We could never get the wake as clean on the passanger side of the boat as the drivers side. I also invested in a 4 blade mercury prop for mine. It was like an 18 pitch and hurt me a little on fuel but performed overall much better. Good luck

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com