Getting Sirus up and running? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Getting Sirus up and running? « Previous Next »
By Grant (whitechocolate) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 11:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey there. I am getting the new Clarion head unit XMD-3. It says its Sirius ready? Do I need another unit to add to the head unit to recieve Sirius a reciever of sorts. Also what type of antennas are you running, And what fees are involved with getting it up and running. I know this has been talked about before but the post's were locked
Thanks G"

(Message edited by whitechocolate on February 29, 2004)

(Message edited by whitechocolate on February 29, 2004)

By Shawn Ulsrud (thunderstruck) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 1:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have XM but I think Sirius is about the same. I had to purchase the reciever box and buy an XM antenna (total around $300.00). Your XMD-3 head unit is only ready to run the sirius reciever. The cool part is that you can change your stations and see what is playing from your head unit or wired remote (if it has a display). I pay around $10.00-$12.00 per month for service and can buy a whole years worth or by the month, that works well for us in the MidWest with only 6-8 months of boating.

By walt (walt) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 3:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have Sirius and yes you will need the brain and receiver.
Look around and sometimes you can get a real good deal or even free if you sign up for a year or more. Get the small receiver, it's about the size of a mouse.

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 6:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant,

You just need the Sirius tuner and antenna. Here you go: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=clarion+sirius&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch=

Now for the antenna: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3080961406&category=60206

Or: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3081572559&category=60206

Or: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3080751154&category=12040

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 7:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I went to the sirius web site and was listining to some of the stations, I was not that impressed by the 5 house / and 5 hip hop music stations what stations are you guys listing to?

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 8:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I use XM, so I don't know. I would recommend trying to listen for a few hours before you make a judgement. There is so much on XM, I don't know how I would be able to get a good feel for the stations by listening to the samples. Maybe a few guys with Sirius can give you some feedback.

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 8:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Brent what antenna are you running

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 8:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the small mouse one, the XM3. It works good and is under the passenger storage area where the amps are. Not sure if the marine antenna would work any better. I like the antenna being out of the way and hidden.

By Clete Culp (domin8) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 9:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
see the Sirius.com site. When you buy the antenna you get the reciever free

By Clete Culp (domin8) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 9:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
see the Sirius.com site. When you buy the antenna you get the reciever free

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok I was talking about this subject on Planet Nautique.com, This guy had som intrestion info Ill copy and past what he said , What do you think?

XM just went commercial free last February (except for channels like CNN). They have 10 to 1 the subscribers of Sirus. Check the internet but you will find XM has cleaner sounding music too. Remember, both Sat radio system use codec to encode and compress the music and XM seems to sound better. If you have an aux in on your HU then you simply plug the sat receiver into it. If you are buying a new HU you can get one that has either XM or Sirus. The sat receiver is a small box that plugs into the HU and can be controlled by the HU. Or you can go with a portable system like the Delphi Skyfi or Roady. This way you can have a cradle in you other vehicles and take your music with you. Price 10 bucks a month for XM and 13 for Sirus. You can also FM modulate through your existing HU if it does not have an aux input. This is the method I am using and have been really happy with it. As for ants. They are down to the size of a match box now. You just need to put it up high (on your tower if you have one. If left on the dash you will lose signal when peps walk in front of it. Good Luck

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
what I was wondering about was where he said that the XM has a better cleaner signal and its cheeper. and the 10-1 subcription rate, more users does that mean they have better station's??

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 11:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not necessarily better stations. I think Sirius still has more stations that XM. The other thing is that on XM, once you have 1 account, you can have multiple accounts for $5 per month. So I have XM in both of my cars and the boat for $20 per month.

I think you are stuck with Sirius with that head unit. I don't think you can plug in an XM tuner to a Sirius compatible head unit. Although, it is the same plug, so I wonder if the head unit would adapt and play the XM radio if an XM tuner was plugged into a Sirius head unit?

The only thing about the 10/1 subscription rate is XM has more cash to upgrade and add more stations, which they are doing. They must be doing pretty well know since they just got rid of all advertising. The benefit is in the long term knowing that they probably have a better chance of surviving.

On the antenna, you don't need to mount it on the tower. Mine doesn't cut out at all in the storage compartment. If you are concerned about that, mount it up front as far as you can so no one can walk in front of it.

By walt (walt) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 5:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6929002

By jeff hill (hillbilly) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 2:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant some guy at Goodguys told me you can use either XM or Sirius depending on the sat unit xm or sirius.It does not matter that your HU is for Sirius. But your HU wont control the stations just volume if they are not mated up. If you combine an Sirius HU and XM service then you need an XM controler to change stations. Does this make sense?

By Andrew Adams (wolfpack) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 2:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I only listen to the Comedy Channel on sirius.

By Andrew Adams (wolfpack) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 2:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I only listen to the Comedy Channel on Sirius when I get it in a rental car. I laugh my butt off most of the way to work, but I don't like it enough to buy it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com