Alarm install Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Alarm install « Previous Next »
By Shawn Ulsrud (thunderstruck) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 8:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anyone ever installed an alarm in a boat? I would like to have my storage areas armed. I would also like to have the bow lights flash when armed by remote and an interior light come on when disarming.

By Grant Stewart (elmog) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 1:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've always thougt it would be cool to have a remote start also so you could warm up the boat at the dock before beginning your ride. Does this sound rediculous?

By matt moss (mossy44) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 7:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i have an alarm on my boat. i just bought a cheap car alarm off ebay and had it installed. i have my 2 rear storage areas and the passenger seat (where my amps are) wired so that when they are opened, the alarm goes off. i also have a sensor that works fairly well. there has onyl been once or twice where i climbed in the boat and forgot the alarm was on and i did not set it off. every other time, i set it off. more than likely, a burglar would not climb in the boat as gently as i do.

i would suggest though that if you plan on having it in the water with the alarm on, dont have a motion sensor on it.

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 7:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
matt, does yours have a codepad, key, or wireless key?

By matt moss (mossy44) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
it has the little black box that has 2 buttons on it. just like most car alarms have. no key, just the remote.

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 9:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Can you keep it powered on if it is sitting in a driveway for a long period of time? Trying to figure out how bad it would drain the batteries.

By matt moss (mossy44) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 10:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i am not sure. what do you call "a long period of time" i have left it on a day or two at a time. but i wouldnt think its any more drain than a normal car battery/alarm setup. i would think it could do a lot more than a day or two without any problems.

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 11:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well, during the winter months and off season, it would be weeks or months. I guess I won't know until I try.

How about infrared instead of motion? With the cover on, even if it was on the water, I would think it would work if someone tried to take the cover off and get in the boat.

By Stewart McLean (gizel) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 6:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have installed tons of alarms in my day, they have a drain on the battery of about what a clock would have, very minimal. Something that we used to use in convertables that was made by Clifford was a proximity sensor. It will pick up someone trying to mess with your cover or if someone tries to get into the boat.

By matt moss (mossy44) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 7:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
the main thing about a sensor picking up slight motion is whether or not the cover would blow in the wind. on my old boat cover, one section of it was loose and would blow in the wind. my new one is as tight as it can be. just think about that before you go with one of those sensors. will your cover set it off too often.

By BoobsAREcool (magellan) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 8:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hire someone to live inside of your boat. Someone with a dog named Mame that eats gunpowder and ephedrine.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com