Malibu VLX or Mastercraft X10? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Malibu VLX or Mastercraft X10? « Previous Next »
By Chuck B (hyp3rl1t3) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 2:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am thinking about either the Malibu VLX or the Mastercraft X10. Do you have any opinions on which is the better overall boat?

By Blake (x10wakerider) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 3:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Chuck I have the Mastercraft X-10 and I love it. It has plenty of room and it has a great wake. I dont see how the malibu could be much better!

By swass (swass) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 3:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
"I dont see how the malibu could be much better!"

It's cheaper.

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 4:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've ridden both weighted. The VLX is my second favorite wake. The reality is that both throw a great wake. Ride and drive both and then you will figure it out.

By hyperlitenerd (hyperlitenrd) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 4:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We have recently made a simular disscion in our own famliy (wlsv and x-30) we went the the wlsv because of the over all fit and finish of the boat, it helped the bu was cheaper too, but our opions are worthless, make your own, go look at the 2 diffrent boats, if you have kids you can have some real fun, while you are talking to the dealer, have your kids go through the boat finding all its plus and minuses, then after looking at the 2 boats go home and disscus what you saw and what you think about it.

good luck, you can not go wrong with ethier boat

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 4:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I meant second to my Sanger

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 4:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
In my opinion, your really comparing apples and oranges..I think the Malibu LSV would be a better comparison to the X10. The X2 would be much closer to the VLX than the X10.
I own an X2 and my buddy has a VLX and I really like both boats a lot. As far as major differences I don't see a lot. If you are a serious wakeboarder you should know that the x10 wake will be quite a bit different than the vlx. I tried out an x10 and loved the space but wasn't overly impressed by the wake..This is all just my opinion which like someone previously said, is basically worthless. You really should try out several models and see what works for you...
Ok, to answer your question..if it were me VLX all the way..

By vandal (vandal) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 4:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
of the 2 I would certainly get the WSVLX. no question

By Chuck B (hyp3rl1t3) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 8:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
k, ill have to get to the dealers and check 'em out. Thanks a lot.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 8:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Compare an X-10 to an LSV? I don't think so.

X2: length 20'7" / beam 90"
X10: length 20'9" / beam 95"
XLV: length 21' / beam 93"
LSV: length 23' / beam 100"

The cockpits of the VLX and the X10 are nearly identical in overall space. Not surprisingly, the XLV cockpit is longer while the X10's is wider. Neither one has anywhere near the interior space of an LSV.

I've looked at both boats very carefully, and I'd choose the VLX without a second of hesitation. But that's just my opinion.

By Steve Autry (whitevlx) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 9:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My personal opinion is a VLX, thats what I ended up with.

By J Haines (alteczen) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 7:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Personally I would go for the X-10 for quality and resell purposes. However you must consider the dealer as well. Who would you rather do business with and who will treat you with better service? The MC dealer or Malibu dealer?

People always mention price as a huge incentive for a Malibu. That may be the case for the initial purchase. However, you need to consider the total cost of ownership for your boat. People think they will keep it forever but that is rarely the case. MC has a much higher resale value than Bu. Why....? I comes down to quality in the constuction. Here are some average retails from NADA for the two models for their respective years.

2003 X-10 $40,890
2002 X-10 $40,530 -.9% from 03
2001 X-10 $39,340 -2.9% from 02

2003 VLX $32,750
2002 VLX $30,540 -6.7% from 03
2001 VLX $28,330 -7.2% from 02

I would continue this trend even further but the models weren't offered. Just remember...you can always buy the wrong boat for the right price!

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 7:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jeff- I was approaching the comparison not only in terms of size but wake as well. If a person wants a boat just for wakeboarding then I say the VLX or X2 would be the better choices. The x10 is an awesome boat..The only thing I didn't like about it was the wake..oh and the price was higher than an x2.
My buddy had an LSV before he got his VLX and here's what we both noticed. The LSV had tons of room..no comparison..you could stretch out all day and never be on top of anyone else in the boat. The drawback was the wake. It was a very nice wake but it was wider and I would say rampier than the x2 or VLX wake. Now I don't know anything about the newest LSV but I still say that boat would be a better comparison to the x10 in terms of wake, size, storage, etc...Now having said that..I did hear that they have a new hull on the LSV for this year and it's supposed to be off the hook. So the LSV may have a better wake than the X10.
In my opinion when looking at a straight up wakeboarding boat compare the x2 to the vlx..For a more family oriented boat compare the x10 to the LSV..
Now if I didn't make it clear earlier, I'm a MC guy..always have been and probably always will be. It's not because I don't like Malibu, hell I have ridden behind my friends Malibu almost as much as my own boat.
The main reason I started out with MC was they gave me a way better deal.It comes down to personal preference, price and the dealer/customer service. We can argue on here all day about x10 compared to lsv or whatever but the dude needs to try out several models and make a decision on his own..Oh yeah just for the record, I really like the x10, it just didn't fit my needs.

By bill montanye (bill) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 7:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How much are the base prices for a 2004 Wakesetter VLX and a MC X10 right now if you were to go buy one from a dealer??

By JONb (jonb) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 7:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
malibu all the way

By Andre the Giant (paulsmith) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 6:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
VLX vs X-10? VLX hands down (assuming wake is a major criteria).

VLX vs X-2? Now there's a more difficult choice.

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 8:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
VLX! Unless the x-2 is a choice. Even then the VLX wins. Thats just because my dealer is Top Notch

By Mitch Mansfield (mitchm) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 4:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Get the x2. If it's x-10 vs. VLX, I'd go VLX. Good luck, either way it'll be a fun decision to make.

By Nick (nickpman) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 5:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Go for the X2, great boat, it's pulled the x-games for 7 years, and six years with the pro wakeboard tour.... lower price then the other x-series.
I've ridden behind an x-10 and the wake was really nice except it gets really wide, i had to ride at 60 feet because the wake was so wide. Other then that its a good.

By Jason Beer (beerman) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 7:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wouldn't choose a boat based on what events it pulled. It's called dollar bills, boats aren't chosen by promoters because they are the nicest or have the best wake. All the major players pull and have pulled one event or another. Get in the boat, ride behind it, drive it, compare prices.

(Message edited by beerman on March 01, 2004)

By MIKE SCHWENNE (mike_schwenne) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 8:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's my opinion:
After years of riding both boats, I'd recommend Malibu for quality and wake reasons. As a pro rider, I personally prefer the Malibu VLX's wake to any other wake out there. Plus you cant get any better in terms of quality. You don't know how many friend I've had with x-stars that have sat in the service department all summer. The x-2 has a great wake with all respects.

If you want a family boat go with a 23' boat.
If you want a wakeboard boat(good wake) go with something around 21'
If you want a quality built boat, go with malibu or nautique.
The top three wakes for wakeboarding include: Malibu VLX, Nautique Super Air, Master Craft x-2.
Ask questions in this discussion forum about what problems and bad experiences they've had with your top three choice boats. That should help you make your decision.
That's my opinion.

Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 9:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Gee what a surprise Mike. Sponsored by Malibu. You might as well be a dealer.

You don't know how many friend I've had with x-stars that have sat in the service department all summer?????????????

Unbiased opinions are tough to come by these days. Go test drive a couple of different boats and buy what suits you the best.

By J Haines (alteczen) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 9:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pat...well said!

By vandal (vandal) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 9:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Unbiased opinions are tough to come by? really? you dont say! how can an opinion be unbiased? all quality opinions ARE biased because they stem from someones belief or knowledge. I bet Mike Schwenne has a lot of history to base his statements on too. Unbiased opinions suck.

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 10:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Better way to put it is do I profit from my opinion? NO, I've owned both brands of boats and I'm not about to slag one or the other. I do however own a MC now and sold my Malibu to buy an MC. There isn't a boat out there that doesn't have a couple of issues with it. Throwing out a statement like I know a bunch of people with X-stars and their boats sat in service all summer is immature at best.

My problem is when someone starts bad mouthing a manufacturer when it's apparent they have a vested interest in a particular brand it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. In my eyes he's nothing more than a dealer pushing his product in a very unproffessional manner. When you go to buy any product do you think it's professional to start slamming the competition? I just think you're a very poor sales person if you have to do that. I'm not talking about boats now I'm speaking in general terms. I'd say the same thing about an MC salesperson who slagged any other boat product.

By vandal (vandal) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 11:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
right on PB. i respect your opinion on the matter. funny thing, I sold my MC to get my malibu. probably gonna sell the wakesetter to get a Super Air this year too. law of averages I guess.

By hyperlitenerd (hyperlitenrd) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 11:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I rember Frank Cope telling my dad that im not going to sell you a bad boat, any boat you choose will be just fine( mastercraft malibu centurion fourwinns). we had our last boat from cope and mcpheters for 16 1/2 yrs, so just go test drive sit in the boat, think to your self where will i put all my junk? how many people do i bring with me normally. You'll be happy ethier way

By MIKE SCHWENNE (mike_schwenne) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 4:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
After spending my whole life in boats, you bet Iíve developed a biased opinion on what I prefer. Thatís why I called it ďMy OpinionĒ You made reference to my opinion being invalid because of whom Iím sponsored by. My integrity and character is far more important than anything any sponsor could give me. My comments were made purely from my observations over the last 12 years that Iíve been in the sport of wakeboarding. And a lifetime in the boating industry. Do you think it benefits me one bit to spend my own personal time on this discussion board offering my opinion. My sponsors could care less, I donít receive a dime for anything I say or do on here or on the water. Anyone that knows me, knows that I ride for product that I feel are the best for my riding. I donít NEED anything from any of my sponsors. I promote them because I believe in them.
Why would I be the same as a dealer? Iíve chosen to use Malibu boats at my camp because they have an excellent wake and I can depend on them to hold up even with all the weight and hours we put on them throughout the year. Back in the early 90ís Master Craft made one of the best quality boats out there. Today they are still excellent boats (wakes, performance, design etc) Iím just saying that Iíve witnessed people being bummed out because they couldnít use their boat during the summer for reasons that were out of their control. Iím in no way saying that if you get a MC itís going to break down. Iím just telling you what Iíve seen.

ďGo test drive a couple of different boats and buy what suits you the best.Ē You can tell a lot from test-driving boats, and I defiantly recommend it. I also recommend putting all the weight in the boat that you normally ride with in it, when you test it. However, thereís no way that you can tell how well a boat is built after a couple hours in it. It takes time for wear and tear to set in. If the boat breaks down when youíre test-driving it, Iíd personally run (or swimJ)

One last thing to remember, dealers get paid to sell you their boat. Their job is to point out the good in their boats and the faults in the others. My job is to ride as much and as hard as I can. I guarantee the amount of time Iíve spent in all kinds of boats during my life is way beyond any salesman.

Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
www.thewakeboardcamp.com

By Chad Miranda (forwaken) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 7:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike,

It's time to change your profile... You still have Super Air listed under your boat.

Have you gotten your VLX yet? I was at Boat Country and Brent was telling me yours was at Pro-Flight. I don't know how much you ride during the colder weather, but you should come down with Chris one of these weekends and ride with us soon I'd love to see your riding in person.

And to answer the thread, VLX hands down vs. your other choice.

(Message edited by forwaken on March 04, 2004)

By Paul (gherk) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 11:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Stay away from both and just get the Super Air. And yes that is a biased answer.

By MIKE SCHWENNE (mike_schwenne) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 5:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll be out on McClure shooting an add for Proflight, CD and 1080 as soon as my custom tower gets finished. I've made a couple modifications to the one I have on the super air. You're welcome to come out any time during the summer and watch me ride. Every evening before sunset myself and the other instructors take a set. A lot of the times people follow us in their boats. Your more than welcome to do so anytime. Just cruise on by the houseboat.

Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
www.thewakeboardcamp.com

By Kaiser Soze (tattoobling) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 8:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Chuck,

What have you driven so far?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com