Transfering warranties on used boat Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Transfering warranties on used boat « Previous Next »
By Gerald (sloshake) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 10:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm looking at a 2003 Malibu and its still under warranty. The owner said that he called up Malibu and they said they will transfer the warranty for $400 for one thing, and $250 for the hull warranty.

Has anybody had any difficulties with transferring of warranties or such? I assume its a no brainer that I definitely want to transfer this.

By Keith Wilton (wiltok) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Can't speak for Malibu, but I transferred the warranty on my 2001 MasterCraft. It cost about $400 bucks - and was well worth it. I went through 3 ignition control modules and a fuel pump in one riding season. Before buying the boat, I called MC and made sure the boat was eligible (just to be sure), and then sent the application and check to that individual. Now I am on MC's books as the owner - so I get product information (i.e. teak suring warning letter).

Since you are buying used, maybe the boat is a lemon and the owner is getting rid of it - why take the risk. It's hard to find out for sure if the boat had prior problems - and I enjoyed myself more not having to worry when it broke down. My 02....

By Gordon Lemke (glemke) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 2:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am in the middle of transfering a warranty on a Malibu 2001 VLX (actual purchase date was 6/02). My dealer is charging approximately $120 inspection/diagnostic fee required by the Indmar the engine manufacturer. Then a $200 fee to Indmar to complete the transfer. I understand there is a $400 Malibu transfer fee for hull and other items.

By malibudude (malibudude) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 4:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It's not hard to transfer the warrenty but you'll have to have a dealer inspect the boat such as Gordon is doing to complete the transfer. Imho it's a no brainer to do it, just make sure that the selling price takes the total transfer costs into consideration.

By Gerald (sloshake) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 6:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok, cool. I guess that would be just another bargaining chip to say that should be thrown in as well. Thanx for the advice.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com