Help picking speakers Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Help picking speakers « Previous Next »
By mark (mhsb1029) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 7:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My families x-star should be here in early may and my Dad and I are interested in changing out the factory speakers with something else. We traded in our x-9 and we were not that impressed by the clarion setup, ended up having to turn the bass completly off to hear music when riding.

When it comes to audio I really dont know jack *&^% so I figured that I would ask for your guy's assistance. Our first plan was to just have mastercraft put in their upgraded polk audio system, but the cost of changing out just the 6 in boat speakers (clarion 6.5's with separates), changing out a clarion amp for a jl, and changing from a clarion sub to a polk audio sub was almost 2k. After reading some of the threads on wakeworld it seems like I would be better served to just get the boat in with the clarion speakers and then change them out for aftermarket speakers. (dont think I can get the boat from the factory without speakers, if I can would it be a pain in the ass to do all of the wiring and would I have to cut any fiber glass on the boat?)

Initially I had heard that JL audio Vr series speakers would be good to put in the boat, but after checking around Spokane (where I live) I heard different things. So far I have had 2 local shops tell me that they didnt like the JL audio speakers and one of them recommended Infinity's marine speakers and another recommended MB Quarts marine speakers.

If you guys have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. I am also going to change out the 4 tower speakers. My budget for getting everything done is 2-3k if that helps.

Damn this is long, last thing I promise. If I get stuck with the clarions coming in the boat then how much do you think that a pair of the 6.5's with seprates would be worth to someone if I put them on ebay or somewhere else.

Thanks for the help, sorry about this post being so long.

-Mark

(Message edited by mhsb1029 on February 24, 2004)

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 8:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am a BIG fan of Focal speakers. They are costly, but sound incredible.

By BoobsAREcool (magellan) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 8:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Diamond Audio.
Check out Fusion. fusionsports.com
It's very hard to come by I guess but looks really cool.

By mark (mhsb1029) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 9:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do I need marine specific speakers?

By dodge (triplexracing) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i used jl xr650csi and they sound great.
check this link to see pics
http://www.wakeboardatlanta.com/forum/gallery.asp?CatID=6&UserID=441

By D O double G (d_o_double_g) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 8:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mark,
No, you don't need marine specific as long as the speakers you choose have material other than paper (ie. paper cones or surrounds). The range of speakers you are looking at should all have higher end materials.
I know a lot of guys who have used the Alpine SPS-170a in the boat, and on the tower. They have an adjustable aluminum tweeter, and with the right power will scream!! They are reasonably priced as well.
For tower setups, I like the new Mako stuff, as well as Fusion. Titan's '04 gear is pretty sweet too. Keep us posted!

By drunk monkey (drunkmonkey) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 8:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
does the same apply rule apply w/ regards to the marine speakers for in the boat?

I need to replace the four that are in there now, but I'm not sure if my choices are limited to only the marine speakers.

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 8:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an X2 and from my own experience you will be way better off getting components from someplace other than MC. You will get way more bang for your buck. For example, MC clarion tower speakers $1,300 for a set..I bought a set of kicker speakers in nice enclosures for $400..

By D O double G (d_o_double_g) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 9:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Alpines I mentioned above have been installed on both the tower and inside the boat. I've even seen fat sacs pressed against them. The have a rubber surround and an aluminum tweeter... hence many of the same qualities as "marine" grade without the price tag. Most of your mid - high end speakers will work just fine in a marine application.

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
They are not expensive, but Kicker makes some great stuff that is durable for marine use. It is impossible to properly tune a boat speaker system to be really accurate. You have almost all direct sound with contstantly changing dynamics. Speakers are critical, but a good amp really makes the difference. Again Kicker amps are decent stuff. I put a 1" spacer under the amp to hold it off the surface for more cooling and have never had a problem. Mount the amp vertically at least 3" off the floor so it doesn't get too damp from carpet wicking.

My budget would be split as follows:
Speakers including sub - 50%
Amp - 25%
Source - 15%
Parts - 10% (use tinned copper wire, it lasts longer in the marine environment)

By Todd Hudson (hudsonjt) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 3:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anyone used or heard if Rockford Fosgate speakers are good for marine environment? How about sound quality? I have a tower that will need 6 1/2" speakers for two speaker boxes that I made.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com