LCD Mirrors Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » LCD Mirrors « Previous Next »
By Grant (whitechocolate) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 1:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I built the 2 orignal LCD mirriors and they are awesome. Im building 2 more and thats it. Im selling them for $600 each with out a LCD screen or $800 with a screen.

By Greg Pinch (nawakwa1) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 8:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hello,
Nice work!!
Do you do any other carbon fiber parts?

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 9:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
$800 are u on crack?
I realize you put a lot of time into this but do you have to make it all up on your first sale?

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 9:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
No Im not on crack, But mabey you are! If you think you can make it for cheeper I welcome you to do so. If someone would have had these mirriors for sale I would have paid that much to have some one make them for me, IMO its very fair. Why because I know what it takes to do it. Im guessing your a retard and you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to making somthing like this. Wait what am I thinking! If people like you only posted on things they knew about the internet wouldnt be the same.

By John Hovde (mastercraft7100) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant,
I think they look bad ass but did you build them to sell them? I was hoping you would put them on you boat.

By Robert (ag4ever) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree that $800 is more than fair for a one off custom built LCD screen/mirror. I would not get them, as I got on the lake to get away from it all, and that is just taking it all with you, but to each their own.

I think WakeNup has never made anything out of fiberglass, and does not know the effort required to do such a nice job.

BTW, how do you plan to run the cables for power and signal feed? I just can't see putting such a nice looking piece on the boat, and then just tieing some wires to it exposed.

By Barry (barry) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Grant, that is sick.. very nice work.

B-

By actiondcpd (actiondcpd) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Man those turned out so nice...

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
John; Yes Im putting the ones that you see above on my boat, The ones I was talking about were 2 extras I made.
Robert; Im going to use a Cat 5 cable (telephone cable) to run the video signal and the power and ground it's a very thin wire and is used in most sunvisor LCD installs. The wire will be a stealth as I can make it.

Greg: yes I make some other small Carbon Fiber parts, Ill have some new parts coming out soon.

BTW: I have sold one of the mirrors and I only have one more for sale.

Thanks for you kind words, alot of work goes into somthing like this and I think I got buthurt when
Wakenup was telling me I was on crack for asking $600. Sorry for calling you a retard, when I make stuff I put my heart and soul into it and to have someone judge you it hurts, So Im sorry. Its hard to tell from the photos but they are very nice when I show them to people in person they cant believe how nice they are. Even people that are seasoned fiberglass people are very impressed. I showed it to a guy at the Nor Cal boat show he builds Fiberglass boxes and installs Stereo's. He said if some one came to him and wanted one made he would charge them $1500 each so to each his own.

By WakeNup (hockeyruss) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 12:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I understand, I was a little harsh with the crack comment, they look really great, if you can get that much for em great. I got a custom piece for my truck for 335 that holds a 7 inch monitor (with the monitor for $335) albiet not as nice as your work but less than 1/2 the price. but then I shelled out 110 clams for that heater blanket so maybe I am a retard!!!

By Lance (uga33) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 12:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Grant those look sweet. Good Job! You have more patience than I do.

By Greg Pinch (nawakwa1) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 12:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I second what Grant is saying..the price is more than fair. As a carbon fiber junkie I know Grant has done a great job on these. Carbon fiber is tough to work with when it has been clear coated, you can see every twist of the fiber.
I am really looking forward to seeing what other product he develops.

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 1:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
For any one that has worked with the Carbon Fiber,yes hats off to you, if your working with a mold thats a diffrent thing it alot easyer. But working with the Carbon added like twice the time and three times the frustration, Like Gregg said you can see every little twist that is un even and bending it around corners messes up the weave and causes it to look funky and because I knew people would be looking at these things under a Micro scope I made certan that they looked as good as I could do. To get them to look the way they do I spent over 80 hrs on each one. Here are some pictures of the Edge's normaly you see a real start stop line I tryed to make it as seamless as I could.

By Greg Pinch (nawakwa1) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 1:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Grant,
Do you have a fiberglass swim platform on your boat?
I have an all black boat and boy would it look great to have a swim platform made out of carbon fiber with rubber material set into the top.
What do you think ???

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 2:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg I have a Wood Platform, But If I had a Black boat and a fiberglass deck that would be the ticket. It would look black like your stock one and then when you looked closed you would see thats it was Carbon, That would be very nice, I like that kind of detail

By Greg Pinch (nawakwa1) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 2:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I also have a teak platform but am about to switch to a fiberglass one.
Are you interested in making carbon swim platform?
;)
If you are why don't you email me off the forum and we can talk.

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 2:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg YGM

By swass (swass) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 2:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice job, as usual, Your Blingness.

By Mark B (wakehound) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 2:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Those turned out real nice Grant. I was checking out one of those speaker boxes at the show that was carbon fiber, and right away I could see the edges, they did a sloppy job on those. Your work turned out real nice! Normally you would expect it the other way around, the guys who are trying to make a living at this should be paying more attention...

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 3:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mark you saw thoes carbon fiber boxes at the show thats exactley what I was talking about. Liqued Trends thats who said his shop would charge $1500 to make one. When I saw that Liqued Trends was making the boxes out of Carbon Fiber I was stoked. I took a look at them and yes they were thin and not up to "Bling" status at the joint but what can you expect. Thats the differance between making somthing for yourself and not cutting any corners Or trying to bring somthing to the market as cheep as you can so people dont complaine about price. Its a tough job
Thanks Swass

By Doug Ridenour Jr (ridenourdm) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 9:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
very nice work, only thought is the screen, how well will you be able to see whats playing with the sun out, meaning will the glare keep you from enjoying what your watching. I checked out newberry's (SF 49'r) sanger at the stereo shop, and I had a hard time seeing what was on the lcd which was mounted below the tower box.

By Rod Rinnert (deltahoosier) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 9:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wish I had the patients to develop that talent. Great job Grant.

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 1:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Im getting close. I should have her all back together in 2 weeks, Cant wait

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com