Where to launch near Redding, CA Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Where to launch near Redding, CA « Previous Next »
By Bob Hawk (hawkbob) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I live up in the Seattle area and am meeting a fellow wakeworld member to buy his boat on Saturday. We're meeting in Redding, CA (just south of Shasta). Where's the best / safest place to launch? Is there anything closer than Bay Bridge Resort on Shasta? The gal there said the water was down about 15' but you could still easily launch. I see that the Sacramento River runs through Redding but I wasn't sure if you could run a boat on it. Thanks!!!!

By Dave (sordave) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not Bridge Bay. The best launch is Packers bay about a couple of miles North of bridge bay. Lakehead has a launch right next to I-5 but it is about 10 miles North of Bridge bay.

The water has risen really fast. Watch out for crap in the water.

By William (sonicr1) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Centimoody, by the dam is nice!!! You have to take the road that goes through Lake Shasta City to get there. When we go to my grandparents house in Redding (and we aren't on a houseboat or camping), we launch from there.

By Steve (kneebone) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bob, Bridge Bay is the closest to Redding and most convienient. This time of year they do not charge for launching. Because of the storms, the lake has risen too fast. They are letting about 50,000 cfs (cubic feet a second) out of the dam into the sacramento river. Only river boats can go in this part of the river.

Ask Mike if you can go to Whiskeytown and launch from the Whiskey Creek launch ramp. It's only 15 minutes from town. Shasta is like a mine field with debris right now. Best bet is Whiskeytown.

I have boarded behind the boat you are looking at for the last 3 yrs. I tried to get some other people to buy it but they didn't have the $$$. Mike has absolutely babied that boat. It throws a sweet wake. You will not be disappointed. I have some pics of Mike behind his boat if you want to see the wake.

Steve

By malibudude (malibudude) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 1:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can launch at lakehead usfs ramp nice wide ramp. Or Packers Bay works well to as sordave mentioned. You getting a sunsetter by chance?

By Bob Hawk (hawkbob) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 2:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm actually not buying a boat from Mike. I'm buying it from Frank. It's a '01 Mastercraft 205VRS w/ the X-Star graphics.

So Whiskeytown is only about 15 minutes from Redding?

Bob

By Steve (kneebone) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 2:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bob, I thought you were buying the Sunsetter, Malibuguy, is probably referring to.

If you are coming down from the Seattle area, the Antlers boat ramp at Shasta would be closer to you. It's right off I5 in Lakehead. If you are actually meeting in Redding, Whiskeytown would be closer.

I get the impression you are meeting someone halfway. Any of the ramps off of I5 would be okay for Shasta: Antlers, Packers Bay, Bailey Cove or Bridge Bay. Watch out for debris! Like I said, it's a mine field with debris right now. It will get worse by the weekend because there is supposed to be 2 big storms dumping more rain through sunday.

Yes Whiskeytown is about 15 minutes from Redding. Take hwy 299 west through redding towards the coast. Beautiful little lake. It's runoff from Trinity lake and clear creek.

By Bob Hawk (hawkbob) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 3:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sounds like Whiskeytown is the way to go. Anything to watch out for on Whiskeytown like sandbars, etc.... I'm assuming the debris won't be as bad there because the water level doesn't rise as much as Shasta??? Thanks for your help!!!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com