Pricing: USA vs. CANADA Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Pricing: USA vs. CANADA « Previous Next »
By cdm (cdm) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 3:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If I lived in Canada and wanted to purchase a MC boat, could I purchase it in the USA? Would it save me $? How much could I save? Whats are the possible hang ups, if any? Your thoughts....

By b (banks) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 3:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would think that you would lose money if you got it from the US. I grew up taking Snow Ski trips to Canada, and we always bought any new stuff up there because of the exchange rate giving us better deals making stuff cost less buying it in canada as opposed to the US

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 3:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think it will be more expensive just from hearing people talk on here. First, I don't think you will be allowed to buy an MC up there, as they are not even supposed to allow you to purchase from dealers outside your area within the US, so I don't think you would be able to go out of country. I assume you are speaking of buying new?

By John Diefel (john_d) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 4:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes I bought my X-Star in Canada and I live in the US. I do live right on the border though so I am closer to the Canadian dealer than the US dealer. You would save money buying in Canada VS the US

By D. Schmidt (goodtimes) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 5:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
As a Canadian dealer (not for Mastercraft), the prices I sell new boats for here compared to what the boats seem to sell for in the US is quite less. The difference isn't huge, but it's enough I hope to keep people from going south to buy products. And then there's warranty issues...

Most US manufacturers know about the bad exchange rate we always have to put up with (even though it's not bad now). So they tend to work with us a little more. The shipping costs are more too.

You also have to keep in mind how much more expendable income there is in the US. They are taxed a lot less and other costs of living is lower. So technically they can afford to spend more on products therefore the prices are higher.

Lastly, the odd time there are super good deals that a US dealer might have. Then it's worth it.

Hope this helps.

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 6:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
CDM it all depends on what you're looking for. If you're buying new the prices should be about the same. Even if you buy stateside you have to still pay GST and PST if you don't live in Alberta. In the used boat department you can probably buy one cheaper stateside then in Canada just because of your ECON 101 class. Supply/Demand. There are far more older used tournament boats stateside than here so it only makes sense that you would pay more here because they're harder to find here in Canada.

All I can say is to do your homework. The market price is really set down in the states so you have to see if the Canadian dealers can match it. I'd still pay a slight premium here just for the convience factor of pickup and if you're buying new it's nice to develop a relationship with the dealer if anything goes wrong.

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 9:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do you have to pay the Canadian taxes on the boat? I know we used to buy our snowmobiles in Canada and got around paying all of those taxes. We would usually save about $1k per sled buying in Canada.

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 1:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you're buying something in Canada and taking it back to the states you get out of paying all of our great taxes. When the cdn dollar was trading at 1.55 or .6451 or lower it would be well worth it for you to come to Canada and buy your toys.

When I bought my truck last year I had to sign a contract saying that I wouldn't sell my truck in the States for 18 months or they wouldn't sell it to me. The reason being Cars and Trucks in Canada were being sold cheaper here than down there ie (a new 50k cnd truck in Canada was being sold in the U.S. for 40k u.s., meaning I could buy the truck at my dealer and drive it to the states and sell it and make 12k in a day or so. 40*1.55=62k 62k-50k=12k profit) It sucked if you were trying to buy a used truck or car here because they were actually more expensive than the new ones. What would happen is that you traded your truck in here and they would take it to the states and sell it for U.S. dollars and the exchange would work out to be more than what you would pay for a brand new one. Does that make sense?

As Canadians we have to pay taxes on anything we buy reguardless of where we buy it. If you buy anything in the states, and try to bring it over the border they ding you with the taxes or you can't get it in.

Now that the exchange rate is 1.33 or .75 it's not a bargan for you to buy things up here anymore. It's getting cheaper for us to buy things down there however.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com