Thanks Centurion!!! Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Thanks Centurion!!! « Previous Next »
By Lance (uga33) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 9:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I picked up my boat from the North Carolina plant and I justed wanted to say thanks again for your support.

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Lance,

Good looking setup.

By Lance (uga33) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Nick.

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Niiiice!

By bill montanye (bill) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 11:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yea nice boat
post some closer up pics interior and exterior...

then get it on the water and show us some wake its mandatory :-)

By Lance (uga33) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 11:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I took it to the dealer to get a cockpit cover installed. As soon as I get it back I'll post some pics for ya.

By Greg Pinch (nawakwa1) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 12:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I also visited the factory and saw my Centurion being built.
I bought mine based on the profile of the deck and other features. I didn't like the flat shape of CC and Mastercraft. Since I ordered my boat loaded with every option it was priced about the same as CC and MC. Here is Canada my boat came out to $85K !!! So if you are in the states don't complain about price.
Centurion has been fantastic to deal with and I support them totally. No Centurion bashing for me.

By cdm (cdm) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 3:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Whats preventing someone from purchasing a boat in the US and then taking it back to Canada? Would one not save money in the end? Fill me in!!

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 3:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think he means $85K Canadian not USD.

By Greg Pinch (nawakwa1) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 4:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It would not be cheaper to purchase a boat in the U.S. if you live in Canada. You would have to pay duties and taxes as well as the nasty exchange rate on the dollar.

By Lance (uga33) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 9:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg what plant did you go to? I took like a two hour tour. I was pretty impressed with their detail on their boats. They had some guys prepping a mold and man they did not let a piece dust get on it. It was pretty neat to see how boats are made. It was well worth the drive.

By nickster (nar722) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I also took a plant tour of centurion and was pretty impressed. Then I went next door and took one at malibu. oh boy! night and day - their building process is just 1st rate compared to the fineline plant. Still, I am VERY happy with my hurricane - really good quality and great service from fineline - but my next boat may just be a bu.

By Greg Pinch (nawakwa1) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I toured their North Carolina plant.
I own a Hurricane with every option. I design my own graphics on the boat as well. Very happy with the boat. CC is starting to pull away from the pack with their design though (226). So I am not sure what boat i would buy next.

By Lance (uga33) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Come on Nick lets keep Centurion in the family. I think next year I'm gonna upgrade to an Avalanche. Georgia Bulldog RED. I can't wait.

Hey Greg can you post some pics of those graphics?

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Definately need to look into the North Carolina plant before making decisions on Fineline.

Greg, how exactly is CC pulling away from the pack??? The 226 is not that special, it is a walkthru V-Drive, Centurion offers the same thing. I would say there are a number of companies out there that are way more innovative right now than CC.

By Kaiser Soze (tattoobling) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 2:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pulling away from the pack, huh? Nick, I think he means prices.

By Doug H (doug2) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 4:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Centurion factory rep at the OKC show mentioned the glass work and/or workers in NC not being up to par with the Cali plant. I wasn't sure what he was insinuating, then I see Nickster's post. Same process and materials, right? Not really a great way to promote your product....

Nickster, can you elaborate on your visit please?

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 4:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kaiser, how about the "Hydrogate"

By nickster (nar722) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 5:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Doug,
I have never seen any other boatbuilder facility until my past visit. In no way did I mean to slam the fineline plant in Cali. The steps to building a boat are pretty much the same and is a very messy process. I walked through each build station of the fineline plant and there did not seem to be any corners cut when building their boats. I even noticed the upgraded carpets and upholstery that Centurion is now using so hopefully this won't be much of an issue anymore although there is just that "extra something" about a malibu interior that makes it stand out above the rest. The biggest difference between the two builders plants seems to be that Malibu looked much more efficient and organized. It is also more of a headquarters type facility and Fineline seems to be more like a factory. Malibu's production line was very clean and spacious. Looked like a much better place to work. Much more upscale. Does this facilitate people building better quality boats? maybe. do their boats cost more to build? maybe not since they seemed much more efficient. would I buy another centurion? Absolutely.would I mind having a vlx? naw!

By DJL (dholio) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 6:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
what is wrong with the hydro gate Nick? Do you understand how it works?

By b (banks) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 6:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
what's a hydro gate?

By DJL (dholio) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 6:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is a device on the transom of the the Nautique 211 that works in conjunction with the TSC2 hull to change the wake characteristics.

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 6:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
DJL, actually no, and neither does the local Nautique dealer from all I could see. My assumption is it keeps the hull from porpoising. Do you have any actual experience with it, because I know what Nautique says it does, but that is not what I am looking for. I want to hear from someone with experience.

By DJL (dholio) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 7:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yes I have used it. The hull is a take off of the TSC2 hull found under the 196, 206 and 216. If you look in the center at the transom of any of those three boats, you will see a tunnel in the hull. At the very back of that tunnel is a "lip" in the hull. That lip creates lift in the back end of the boat. On the 211, they took the lip out of the hull itself. This is where the plate comes into play. Without the lip, the transom will ride deeper (the gate would be in the up or wakeboard position). With the gate lowered, the "lip" is back into the equation so it creates the lifting effect of the hull to make a smaller wake for skiing. The gate is a very simple system that only uses a shift cable, the gate and a shifter at the drivers side. The TAPS system is a trim tab added to the back of the boat to extend the running surface of the hull. The tab has a worm gear inside of it as well as other moving parts. The hydro gate can be raised or lowered at any speed and if you sit in the back seat, you can see a change of 5 to 6 inches in the way that the boat rides in the water. It is definately not a gimmick. The TAPS system came out to correct a bad hull design that TIGE had in the past. Charlie Pigeon is a great marketer and decided to call his system TAPS and market it the way he has. Hope that helps.

By Doug H (doug2) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 7:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nickster-

I wasn't worried about you slamming anybody. I am impressed by the fact that you visited a factory, let alone two! (Which, by the way, is two more than I have been to.)

People take things way too personally and the discussions become very subjective. Thanks for posting your observations and thoughts.

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 7:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Doug H (doug2)
Who was the factory rep. I have a hard time believing any rep would make that insinuation.

By Doug H (doug2) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 7:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
His first name was Pete or Peter, he didn't have a card of course. He used to work for a dealer in Texas (Austin?) and now dealership expansion on the East Coast. I think he was trying to buy cool points and comment on how well the old centurions were built (my '95), or, that if I was going to purchase one, make sure it came from the Cali plant. Sort of insider info to make me feel good...

But I agree, not a good business practice to use.

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 8:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pete Chase, he works out of the NC plant I think, which is kind of funny if he made that comment. You sure he wasn't just saying they are trying to get the experience in the boat builders back east??

DJL, thanks for the informed post. It's nice to hear from someone with experience. Don't you think without the lip though, the boat needs this to ride better no matter what position it is in. I'm just assuming, so don't slam me.

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 8:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If it was Pete Chase you misunderstood what he said! Every boat he sells comes out to the NC plant.

By Doug H (doug2) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 8:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I really think now that he was just trying to play the cool salesman and let me in on a secret. Guess that we were just BS'ing. Again, I didn't think much of it until I saw nickster's post. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to bust anybody's balls. Last thing I want to do. Especially since I own one!!!

I've also noticed sarcasm doesn't come across real well on these boards.....

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That doesn't sound like Pete Chase at all, but possibly. I have talked with Pete and Robert Thayer about the NC plant a couple of times at length and all they had to say was good things.

By DJL (dholio) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 4:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nick, having the lip or not having it doesn't effect the ride of the hull at all. When you get a chance, swing by your Nautique dealer and look at the tunnel on the 196 and the 211. This will give you a much better idea of what is going on!

By Keith (rkg) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 5:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would be curious about that bad hull design. I think you are taking it a bit far. Supra has had a wake plate for years, are their hulls bad too? Tige had redone their hulls, yet kept the TAPS system, hmmm, they must like the way it affects the wake. Natique must like it to if the are moving onto the Trim tab "revolution"

By Lance (uga33) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 5:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
From what I could tell when I walked through the plant everyone there took pride in their work. I would rather Centurion keep the price of their boats down than spend alot money making their plant look flashy.

By Andrew Adams (wolfpack) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 6:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
We definitely have great boat companies in NC. There are tons of high quality boats produced in NC. Fountain, Hatteras Yachts, and Albemarle just to name a few.

By Doug H (doug2) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 7:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Lance and Andrew-
Thanks for your input. I agree with Lance on the "flash" factor.

From your (as Centurion owners) point of view, would it be safe to say the boats and plants aren't where Centurion's image problems lay? Why did you pick a Centurion? (ie if we know they are good boats, why doesn't everybody else?)

Nick H-
So is he saying that they don't have experienced workers? From my first post- "[he] mentioned the glass work and/or workers in NC not being up to par..." Hatteras and Fountain are well known for their hulls. Why would "trying to get the experience in the boat builders back east" make any more sense as an explanation? I was flamed on another thread for things this guy said...

By Lance (uga33) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 8:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Centurions problems are behind them. This company has grown so much over the years and therefore there will be growing pains. The company I work has doubled it's size the past few years and man let tell you we had some serious growing pains. I think people seem to forget the fact that Centurion has produced alot the people that currently are running other manufactures. They have really been very innovative in the industry as well.

Doug I picked a Centurion for several reasons. I like the storage, the layout, snap out carpet, reverse shoe box with the hull and deck, the one piece deck (easy to clean) and also provides as solid of seat bases as you can get in a boat, the deep V hull (handles choppy water like a Cadillac), I liked the lines of the boat, and of course the price.

By Brad Flack (flackpack) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 9:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Lance - Back in '93 I bought one of the very first open bow Tige's. Charlie Pigeon impressed me with his customer service and personnal touch very much. I didn't know it at the time, but he was contracting with Fineline to build and assemble his hulls in their CA plant. I have had other boats, but none was ever built that well or with the fit and finish that boat had. MC, CC and Malibu all tried to get my business back then, but when you looked under the decks, Fineline built a tank of a boat that lasted a long time. You made a good choice.

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 9:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
On some of the bigger Supras the wake plate does help keep the boat from porposing (sp) at higher speeds. It's not a bad thing, it's just something that has to be done on some of the boats. A lot of inboards porpoise at higher speeds. I'm not trying to get into a flame war. DJL - I have looked at the difference between the tunnels, I understand what you are saying.

Doug, I have no idea why he said this if this is what he said. I'm not covering anything up, I also can't believe he said this.

By Doug H (doug2) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes, that is what he said. I checked with my wife this morning, she heard the same thing I did.

Nick-
I think you would be the last person to try and cover anything up. (I read your posts on the Tige thread) I really don't feel that this amounts to anything. Just a conversation I had with a rep that raised some questions/concerns and this thread answered them. No big deal. I'm still going to buy one next fall...

And no, I'm not looking for a LaPoint!!!!

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Doug, Darn!!!

Those Tige guys get fired up. If I got half as concerned as they do everytime someone said something bad about Centurion I would have probably had a stroke already. Though, I had been under contract as a promo rep for Centurion, so I did get a little defensive every once in a while.

By Keith (rkg) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would say so, I know when Centurion was getting bashed, there were several Centurions owners getting mad. Same difference here. Someone makes an off the cuff remark that seems wrong I am going to respond. I STILL disagree that TAPs is to correct a hull flaw, it was intentional that the hull have variable hook and something they continue to make better, i.e the new generation hulls for 2004 (and 03 on several of the boats)

By DJL (dholio) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Keith,
The hydro gate is not anything like a trim tab. TAPS evolved when they had a bad hull design. They aren't going to market the TAPS system for 2 or 3 years until they get a new hull and then ditch the idea. They would catch a lot of garbage for doing that so they continue to use it. What I am saying is that in the introductory year, they added TAPS to that specific poor hull design. It was kind of an aftermarket idea in the beginning for them.

By DJL (dholio) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It was very similar to when MC put the extra tracking fin, wings on the rudder, and the wings on the side of the ProStar 190 after it was debuted as a redesign in 1998.

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 1:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
DJL, I take offense to this though. For everyone else, an addition to the back of the boat is something to correct a hull flaw, but it is innovative for CC. Of course CC wasn't going to use a Bennett trim tab as they wouldn't know how to trash the other boats if this is what they did, so they came up with the Hydrogate. But CC would never make a bad hull design, wait, anyone want to buy a Pro Air??

By DJL (dholio) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 3:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I never said that they didn't make a bad hull design. What I am saying is that they had the gate on this boat from the get go. The gate was planned from the first day of design. On the Tige, it was added to the boats later on.

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 3:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is an interesting statement however not true.
The original tige hull was a Centurion Falcon. The Falcon and the Tige always had manually adjustable plates. The next logical step to a manually adjustable plate is one that can be adjusted from inside the boat.

By P Chase (pchase) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 5:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Doug H,
I apologize for any confusion that occured at the Oklahoma boat show, I believe that you mistakenly took what I was saying as being between Centurion East and Centurion West instead of Centurion against the other manufacturers. What I was telling you about, was the fact that Centurion, a California company(with 2 plants) was doing 5 color gelcoat standard on their boats when the other manufacturers were not, some of those being in the East. We have always given you 5 color gelcoat combinations for a look that makes us stand out from the competition. No one from our company puts one factory up against the other.

Since I ONLY sell boats that come out of the Centurion East plant, I don't believe that I would ever tell a potential customer that he should go find a california boat. I have owned 1 west coast and 3 east coast Centurions and they have all been flawless, just like the one's there at the Oklahoma show. When you are ready to get into a new one, give us a call and we would love to put you into a new 2004.

Peter Chase
South Central Regional Sales Manager
Centurion Boats

By william walden (spicoli) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 8:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
im a new centurion owner, and i only got a sport, its what i could afford at the time (ill post pics of the avalanche i buy in january 2005!) now i had some concerns on minor issues with my boat, and within 3 days of calling my dealer, the distributor was on the phone to pick up my boat from fremont, and take it to the factory in merced,to fix the details. i got a call every other day from the head of warranty to see if i had anything else in mind, thats good customer service imo. i was offered a tour whenever im in the area thats awesome in my opinion. in the end though,i think its really less about hulls, and wake size, and just about how much fun you have with friends and family, and my little boat has always delivered.

By Doug H (doug2) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 9:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Peter-
I appreciate you adding to this discussion and clearing up any confusion. It seems to me that all manufacturers are building quality into their boats and for the most part have the same engines. So what does a prospective buyer look at? Quality and honesty of the people he/she deals with. Thanks for joining the fray...

I'll apologize for putting you in this position. Next time you are in town I owe you a beer or two (maybe ten). I will be in NC in May for graduation at Elon. How far to the plant?

Doug

By Lance (uga33) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 5:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
William that is exactly what I encountered awesome customer service.

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 9:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Me too....from the factory. Dealer/service experience has been mediocre. One ok, one bad, one took for frickin ever. I'll take the last one as long as it's winter. The first one, I'd go back to, but they're too far away. The second one is...well, PM or email me and I'll tell you the stories (with an S on the end) Still love my boat though and have nothing but praise for John at the West Coast plant.

By Richard B. (cws_kahuna) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 10:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice looking boat Lance.

By nickster (nar722) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 10:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
William, The same thing happened to me. i was really happy with the way I was treated and the work that was done. One note....they detail the boat at fineline before returing it to you. However, this place is in friggin Merced...lots of farm land and even more bugs. The boat needed to be cleaned again when I picked it up in Fremont. See if they can detail it at Kal kustom instead. It's a waste of time if they do it at the factory. enjoy your new boat!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com