Repairing a dinged board Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives » Archive through June 16, 2003 » Repairing a dinged board « Previous Next »
By Brennan (afrodeziak) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 10:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Before I go ahead with trying to fix my Helix, I thought I would ask of anyones experience with sealing, fixing cracked edges, etc...
I'll attach a couple of shoddy pics of the ding. Any advice on how to go abotu it or what materials to use woudl be great. I was thinkg about just smothering it in epoxy?}

By NoneYa (noneya) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 11:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah just goto Home Depot and get a 2-part epoxy, they even have a marine one at mine, mask off around the crack, slap on the epoxy, cover w/ masking tape (to smooth it out) and let dry. Just make sure you get the slow cure epoxy its a lot stronger.

By Jarrod Ehlers (jarrod) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 11:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Board repair kits work great. The epoxy drys in seconds and you're ready to ride.

By Brennan (afrodeziak) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 5:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
noneya, you say cover the epoxy with tape to smooth it out ? sticky side down or other side ? does the epoxy nto stick it to your board though and make the tape tough to get off ?

thanks
Brennan

By NoneYa (noneya) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 6:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I put it sticky side down and left it on there for a while then took it off, it stuck a little but I was able to get it off, I didnt do it in one area (basically I dropped my board from the inside of the boat on my driveway unloading it) that was on the side and it doesnt look as good, kinda made a glob. There is stuff that says 5 min cure and stuff that says 2 hour cure, I used the longer setting stuff, so I may have had more time to mess with the tape than if you got the quick cure stuff. One other note, the time it says on the front of the package is only the setup time for it to be fully hardened is a lot longer 24 hours for the longer stuff, it'll have that info in small writing on the back.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 8:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Instead of sticky tape, try a piece of celophane. Just tape the celophane over the patch. I've used this method on ski decks, gel coat repairs and it works well, nice smooth shine to it.

By NoneYa (noneya) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 9:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So the cellophane doesnt adhere to the epoxy? You leave it like that till it dries?

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yep, no probs.

By Alan Bogdanoff (alan_bogdanoff) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 8:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Let it breath.
Don't put anything on top! Why would you cover it? There is no reason to cover a ding repair.
Slap on the epoxy, let it dry then sand it.
Make sure that you have completly cleaned out the ding before you have started filling it in. Grind it out with a grinder, or disc sander - clean that ding out good, don't be afraid to grind away at your board. You have to clean out all the broken stuff, then patch-it. After it has dried, start with 80 grit sand paper, to rough sand it, than work your way up to 220 or higher to finish sand it. After your finished - take some 3M roubing compound and buff that thing out - to make it look like new. You could even wet sand it with 400 to make it look sweet. Of course there will be a scar, but your board will be water tight!
Alan Bogdanoff

By kristian coltman (kristian) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 8:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Duct Tape

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2010, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com