Oh what a feeling...a little story Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives » Archive through October 14, 2007 » Oh what a feeling...a little story « Previous Next »
By Randy Murray (wakeripper) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
So Sat. was the 5th stop of the Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club series. I came into the contest with a scant 22-point lead and with my recent knee injury I was a little nervous as to how my day would turn out. The good thing was the title boat sponsor was Mastercraft and the last time I rode behind an X-Star I loved the wake so at least I had that going for me. So the Masters division was one of the last to go off the dock for the day and as I waited for my turn the pressure started to build.

So it's time and as I watched the other competitors go off the dock all doing very well in there own right I noticed that the wake seemed to be just a little smaller than it was earlier in the day. As I watched in anticipation my main competition go off the dock just killing it on his first pass with a Raley, Whirlybird, Tantrum and a 360 I was really feeling the pressure. So on the second pass he goes for a 540 I believe and crashes. With only a short distance left for the boat to get to plane he got a few more tricks in but it left the door wide open for that coveted first place for the day. As I hand over my rope I tell him to take 5ft. off the length hoping that I made the right decision for what I saw in the wake size.

It's my turn and as I go off the dock I start my run the same way I always do into a blind boardslide looking at the guys on the dock then directly into a backside butterslide to get a feel for the wake. The week prior one of my very good friends Walt had given me some constructive criticism to style out my grabs. That statement stuck in my head all week and I was determined to do just that. I went through all my usual grabs poking out every single one of them Tail grab, Roastbeef, Method, Indy, and a fully poked Stalefish. I was pumped after the first pass.

The second pass is where the mind tends to wander a bit and the pressure builds even more. I do a few more grabs to get my confidence up. I then go directly to the Backroll, nailing it super big and clean. I then follow it with a toeside poked out Nosegrab. The time has come I need to nail the Tantrum. I have been working on this trick for a few weeks only landing it once and couldn’t land them at all the week prior. I just keep thinking wait until the top of the wake to throw it. I pull in hard getting on a good edge then it's time, wait, wait and go for it. Everything was perfect I felt the good pop see the horizon go around and to my disbelief I land perfect and don't quite know what to do with myself. I've got time so I throw a Half Cab and throw the handle down in triumph yelling at the top of my lungs. I was so excited and no one can take that feeling away from me.

I left the contest with a huge smile a win for the day, a grab bag of shwag and a 52-point lead going in to the last round. I need to win again or at least get second to wrap up the series championship. On top of all that there will be a film crew out for the final contest filming for a mainstream movie called Ride the Wake. There will be several top pros out there and a chance for everyone to be in a major Hollywood film. I encourage everyone to mark Oct. 13th on your calendars and get there early.

By Ron (dcranium) on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Great story! Excellent run. Now time to get that Raley dialed so you can keep that lead in case the other guy nails his passes.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2010, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com