Our winch project Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives » Archive through June 18, 2006 » Our winch project « Previous Next »
By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here's some pics from Blake's winch that we've been putting together:
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll get some pics up as soon as it's finished.

-Steve

By Bruce Banner (breadbutta) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 2:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is totally awesome. Great workmanship! Post more and in action, please.

By Kevin Pothier (big_xstar) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 2:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sweet dude!! When do we try it out!!!

By Buzz (buzz_grande) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 2:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Coming along very nicely fellas. Can't wait to kill myself on that!

By Kung Fu Wake & Video (dcervenka) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 2:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
nice! where did you get all that rope?

By Mohondro (raddad) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 3:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks gooood!!!! 13 horses Bad a$$ can't wait to see some action shot's keep us in the loop.

By Aden Glatt (aden_g) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 3:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice rims on the white truck in the background :p

By Stephen Higgins (srh00z) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 3:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is probably the most robust winch that I have seen, looks good.

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 4:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for posting the pics Steve... And helping with the build!

This has been a fun, and relatively cheap, project so far... I'm pretty anxious to get it finished so we can give it a try. Anyone in the San Diego area wanting to give it a try will be more than welcome... As long as you chip in for gas! Hahaha, just kidding, but you'll all be more than welcome to winch with us, anytime.

Kung Fu,
Just like our Kegerator project... Some things were "acquired" through my work. We don't know how much is there, but we're guessing about 1000'!

-Blake

By CAR (super_air) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 4:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Looks nice and beefy. How much does that weigh and are you going to put handles on the side of it to make it easier to lift into place on the receiver?

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 4:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
that thing looks bad ass!!

1000' should do!

By Buzz (buzz_grande) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 4:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blake,

That's a big, fat motor also. Looks like it will do the trick. Let me know if you are interested in that handle also. Can't wait to try it out. Let's set it up in my front yard!

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 5:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
CAR,
It's not that heavy, despite the bulky look... I have no clue what it weighs, on a scale. I'll weigh it when it's done. There are plans for handles, and axle slots, to help move it around easier.

BigEd,
Yeah, I think 1000' feet will do ! You can bet that I'll bring it with me if we make that Delta trip we were talking about... Then you can give it a try, too.

-Blake

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 5:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Buzz,
Geoff hooked me up with a handle... So I won't need to steal yours! The big fat motor was a just in case measure. I doubt we'll need all that power, but it'll be nice to have. I was wondering if we should use it at that place behind your house... Think they'd mind?

-Blake

By dane sauer (oopsds92) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 5:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
where can u buy winches?

dane

By Buzz (buzz_grande) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 5:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blake,

That lake would be great, but I have heard that they are pretty particular about who uses it. Guess I need to maybe get them buzzed, and chat a bit!

Oh, BTW, tell the owner of that X Terra - "Nice Ride". Ha! I hardly remember being inside of it!

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 6:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

quote:

if we make that Delta trip we were talking about

IF

Talking like that can get you in trouble....watch yourself!

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 7:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sweet! I got a compliment on my ghetto-mobile truck! Thats the last thing I was expecting from this thread.

CAR,
I do want to put at least one handle and some wheels on the winch. I think all said and done, it will weigh in the 90-110 lb range (thats really just an estimate). It is super beefy, but I wanted it to be, with all that torque. We decided on a bigger motor (i told blake 9-10) and we ended up with 13! So we should be able to tow in boats if they run outta gas (hell we could probably pull a rider behind it too!!)

We will definitely have pics from the testing sessions. If I had to guess, I'd say we've got between 1000' and 1500' of line, so we should get longer runs than most of the other winches out there too. 13hp is plenty power to do deep water starts too.

-Steve

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 7:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Big Ed,

Can I invite myself along?

-Steve

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 7:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dane,
You can buy winches from several different companies, here's an example: http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=100. That's a nice winch, but, it's a little out of my budget. All in all, manufactured winches are pretty pricey... I believe the cheapest I've seen is $1500. Steve and I are always looking for new projects, and this was something we've both wanted to do for a while.

BigEd,
Good point! Just replace "if" with "when," that should clarify any misunderstandings... Oh, Steve is my partner in crime, plus, we're skinny bastards... You can make some more room, right?

Buzz,
It's not that big of a deal, just thought I'd run it by you. By the way, Megan is super happy about her new car... But, she's ready to kill the guy who got sand all over the back seat!

-Blake

By Justin Rodier (jwr) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 7:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is awesome, where are you planing on using it?

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 8:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anywhere with water, and little or no security!

-Steve

By Shawn Murphy (walkonwater) on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 1:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Beautiful job on the winch project guys. Looks like we'll have to start making some pools and sliders/boxes to go along with that phatty new winch.

By Scot M Berner (scottyb) on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 8:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You guys should do a how to article for wakeworld, I know I would be very interested!

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 9:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Steve,I thought you were already in?!

Anyways like Blake said....you guys are skinny bastards,I'll make room.

By Hannah Kimble (lovin_the_sport) on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice job boys!!! Have fun playing with it!!! haha... Hopefully Ill be around to watch or even par-take?

By Paul Bernier (wakeriderixi) on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 10:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
... got to interject my praise on a nice looking project!

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for all the compliments... I hope it continues to look good, as the build progresses! Steve is putting some final finsh thoughts together... I'm sure it'll clean up to be a great looking final product.

Shawn,
I think the 1st thing I'm doing (after we finish) is building a kicker, and a small rail. I have the same amount of desire for those two, as I do for the winch.

BigEd,
Steve was in, all along, he just didn't know it.

Hannah,
Admit it, you think we're talking about playing with that other thing, which also starts with the letter "W" right?

-Blake

By matt Winans (liquidmx) on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blake, Can you post links (if you have them) to where you bought the motor and running gear. I have been thinking about taking on a project like this for a while; you have given me inspiration!

By Buzz (buzz_grande) on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 3:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wanker!

By Steve (kingskrew) on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 8:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Matt,
Ebay.... for everything.

-Steve

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 9:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Matt,

That's true... I ebay'd everything, except the rope, which I didn't pay for.

-Blake

By Steve (kingskrew) on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 2:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blake!!!!

How's the project coming along? Just ordered the 05 roam, so next weekend may have to be a 2-for-1 experiment. Throw me some more pics if you have any, and I'll post 'em up here.

-Steve

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 7:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah man, I made a little progress today. I was able to tack down the base plate, and got a pretty good start on the mount for the engine (still needs holes)... I don't know how much I'll get to work on it tomorrow, the Navy has decided that I need to work all weekend... Booo!

No new pics, not much more is done from the above pics.

-Blake

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 7:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It appears that this weekend we'll be able to finish, and test out the winch... Pics to be soon posted.

-Blake

By Paul Bernier (wakeriderixi) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 8:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
sweet, can't wait

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 3:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Either can I!!!

By Buzz (buzz_grande) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 4:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a new helmet

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 7:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well dookie! It seems my work, The World's Finest Navy, has decided to make me work through the weekend... Just like last weekend!

So, looks like there is yet another stall in the finalization of our little project.

Hopefully we'll be able to jump on it next weekend, and post some new "completed" pics for you guys.

-Blake

By Steve (kingskrew) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 4:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Updated pics coming in a couple minutes......

By Steve (kingskrew) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 5:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 5:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 5:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 5:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By UncleSam (unclesam) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 5:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
SO sick! HAve you had a chance to test it yet?

By Steve (kingskrew) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 5:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well so far so good. Everything's together and appears to be working just perfectly. The true test will come on it's maiden voyage to the water. I think I ended up using about 1200 ft of line (it's hard to estimate, but I went up and back on the street 3 and a half times, so it should be around there). I want to make sure everything works right on it before I tear it down and prep and paint it, then it will be FINISHED!!!!
-Steve

By Greg w (whitie) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 5:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
First off great work. Just a few questions
1 how long did it take start to finish?
2 did you go through a go cart suply shop?
3 Where is the brake?

I just tried out the grinch winch and it is not that good if your 200lb+

By Steve (kingskrew) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 6:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
1) Just a couple weekends (if you're pretty good at fabricating)
2) Ebay, but a kart shop would carry all the parts too.
3) None, but I would like to put in a disc brake. Blake's just being cheap

I am totally convinced this will deep-water start a 300+ pound rider. Torque baby!!!!

-Steve

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 7:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
DAMN... Look at that spool! It's going to take forever to un-reel it that far. Steve, think we could winch the entire course at San V?

Greg,
To help Steve answer your questions...
1) This can be a very quick project, but if you're bargain hunting, it'll take a little longer. If I still lived in San Diego, Steve and I could've easily busted this out in a weekend, if we had all the parts.
2) Ebay is the way to go, for a project like this... A go-kart shop will have almost everything you need, but you'll save $$$ if you ebay.
3) A brake is the only thing I didn't have in mind, in the beginning. Steve brought it to my attention, I just haven't incorporated it yet... I'm too anxious to give it a try, to prolong the maiden voyage!

-Blake

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 8:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That thing looks siiiick!!

Where are you guys riding this weekend,did you get my e-mail??

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I can't believe you bastards took my winch out, for the de-virginizing, without me! I hope you know there's a rental fee!

-Blake

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 3:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blake,get them back by going to the Delta!

By Tyler Jacobsen (delta_rider) on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 4:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
can you say all the materials that you used to make it? I am really interested

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 4:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You didn't miss much blake, but I will say riding mission bay in the pitch black night on absolute mirror glass was pretty d@mn cool.

-Steve

By Justin Rodier (jwr) on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A lot of really good winch advise is at winchskating.com

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 2:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
BigEd,
I'll be there, eventually... I'm pretty sure you can count Steve in, too. We just need to plan a good time.

Justin,
Thanks for the link, I found some good info. on there.

-Blake

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 9:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
memorial weekend not a good time??

Just giving you guys a hard time but GET YOUR BUTTS IN GEAR!!!

By Timmay (ridemyzamboni) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 2:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Me and my buddies are in the process of building a winch. Just wondering what size gears you used?

By Steve (kingskrew) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think the clutch sprocket is 11T and the drive sprocket is 60T.

-Steve

By Steve (kingskrew) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Frame after prep, in primer:
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The roller in the background was my landlord painting the house. I wasnt using that here.

By Steve (kingskrew) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Afetr 2 color coats and 3 clear:
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 7:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Steve,

Are you painting the spool, too? Or are we going to rattle-can that?

-Blake

By Steve (kingskrew) on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 8:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Rattle can. I figure it'll get some abuse, so it'll be easier to touch up if it's just rattled.

It's all done and assembled now, just waiting for some new rope...

-Steve

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Steve,

You interested in winching this weekend? I've got the urge, but I know we're in desperate need of some rope. I've asked if we can borrow some older ropes, just to get us by. What do you think, are you in?

-Blake

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

quote:

are you in?

No I just built it to look pretty... What the f#*% do you think?!?! Of course I'm in!!!!

-Steve

By David Williams (wakeworld) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Aren't there places to buy long stretches of no-stretch rope on Ebay? What happened to the old rope. How did the test run go?

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The ol' yeller rope was actually coated cable. Didnt work well, and snapped on the 2nd pull. That pretty much sums up the trial run, the first pull was too slow, the 2nd snapped the line about 500 or so feet in. It was epic until the rope snapped though .

I haven't seen any good spools of rope on ebay, but I'll keep my eyes open.

-Steve

By Clarke (cp3) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That sucks it snapped on the 2ND pull.

By Big Ed (big_ed_x2) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I got 80' I can donate....

By jeff (jeff359) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
"Aren't there places to buy long stretches of no-stretch rope on Ebay?"

West Marine also

By matt Winans (liquidmx) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do you guys have a plan regarding the rope winding correctly? It seems like a ton of rope winding on the spool would change the ratio of the pull since it would all bunch together and not wind evenly across the spool.

By TSO (tyler_o) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Matt,

It's a pretty big spool and Steve welded on a good farier mechanism to feed the line smoothly. It's not dynamic (like on a fishing reel) but it's working! BTW....I'm posting on Steve's behalf as I believe they are performing another test run as we type.....

By Paul Bernier (wakeriderixi) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
keep them updates coming on what worked and what didnt.. oh and all these good pictures!

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

quote:

Do you guys have a plan regarding the rope winding correctly?

It feeds on relatively uniformly along the spool, not much of an issue there.

quote:

It seems like a ton of rope winding on the spool would change the ratio of the pull

You're 100% correct, but the change isn't significant, maybe 5%, and not really noticable.

quote:

I believe they are performing another test run as we type

Yep, went really really well, the clutch got a bit wet and started slipping a bit, but other than that it was working great. We were meeting some guys down there and were gonna session a rail for a while, but we had to head out early (geoff has plans tonight). I deep started several times, the winch has much more torque getting up outta the water than ANY boat I've been behind. That was pretty impressive!

-Steve

(sorry no pics... we suck)

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh we used a bunch of ropes we had lying around, we had about 400' of A-lines and such... We could have put at least 2-3 times that many sections on.

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh man... You guys suck!

First, the de-virginizing, now you guys are breaking her in, once again without ME... Dude, are we even friends anymore?

-Blake

By Bryan Howell (tahoe_bryan) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
very nice!!!!! I like it Steve!!!!

By Scott Cutler (scotty_doo) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 6:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blake,

I think I remember that spool sitting under our bench at work?? I will have to notify the authorities immediately...

-What's up Steve??

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 7:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Whaddup scott!! Hows the USN treatin ya? BTW, that spool just looks like one that was sitting under the bench. Can't be the same one, that would be stealing, and stealing is wrong!

-Steve

PS Blake we're still friends, just warming the ol' girl up for ya, that's all...

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 7:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thx Bryan!

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 8:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Steve,
I guess I can let it slide, after all, without YOUR welding, MY winch would still be in pieces... Or poorly welded together.

We'll have to break out the camera, and video some quick clips this weekend. I'm definitely ready, and so is Megan... She's so excited she can't sit still! Yeah right!

SCutler,
Hurry home dude... It's time you strapped on a board!

By the way, I agree with Steve, that's not the spool that belongs to the US Navy... I wouldn't "acquire" stuff from work, that's just not right! However, I heard that particular spool of wire broke, and isn't usable anymore. If you'd like, we'll gladly donate it to the Navy. I'm sure they could use it for aircraft grounding wire, or something???

-Blake

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 8:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hahaha

Thats so generous Blake!!

-Steve

By crash_vin (crash_vin) on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 7:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
hurry we want to see it in action

By Sam Browning (getsome137) on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 5:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey..i am just curious...how much did this all end up costing you guys...i just want to know if you actually save that much by building it urself..thanx alot, and it looks awesome...

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yesterday after leaving the lake, I stopped by a small pond by TSO's house with Blake to mess around on the roam a bit. The pond was pretty nasty, and there were a few fisherman we had to deal with, but it was still really fun. Here's a few pics and a short vid:

The rig:
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The pond:
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blake:
Upload

By RJizz (deltawakerider) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
how bout riding pics?

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

quote:

how bout riding pics?

Gimme a sec...

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Deep water start for Blake:
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Big smile after he fell in the nasty water:

Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My turn:
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We figured since we didnt have any sliders set up, the roam would be kind of fun to mess around on:
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Walking out the line:
Upload

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Short vid:

http://www.wakepics.com/img/19143

By RJizz (deltawakerider) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
SICK!! good to see a deep water start. if u shore start would u get more controlled ride time? i wanna go!

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blake's got the Video cam with all the riding on it for the most part. We were not there very long, we each only took a couple pulls. The water was a bit grosser than we anticipated, and since we hadnt set up any rails, there wasnt much to do. Wait till you see the secret spot we've got planned for our next session.....

-Steve

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Shhhhhhh....

http://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&q=&t=h&om=1&ll=32.877443,-117.208221&spn=0.00269,0.002961

By brian K. smith (bksmith) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Steve, if your in need of some more non stretch rope for cheap hit me up. I can put you in contact with some. It is a nasty color though.

Check out http://www.tranquilbase.com for the latest waste of my time.

By Steve (kingskrew) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Brian! How much for 1200'?

-Steve

By David Williams (wakeworld) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Now you need a big cannon mounted on the back of the truck to launch you, your board and the handle to the other side of the pond so that you don't have to hike in your bare feet! :-)

By TSO (tyler_o) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Steve,

I'm well aquainted with the "secret spot".

Be sure to let me know when as that will be a classic.

-TSO

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 4:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I can't wait for the "secret spot" ride... I was pretty tempted to give it a try yesterday, but I think I'll familiarize myself with the winch a little more, as well as build a rail to bust my A$$ on.

-Blake

By Oury Yarbrough (skateforce) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 2:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
HeySteve, i was just wondering what kind of clutch you used and the sproket size on the shaft with with Spool on it, im making one with a 13 hp motor exactly like yours so i was just curious

thanks

-Oury-

By Jeff Baker (innov8) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 2:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sweet looks like a job well done!!

By Steve (kingskrew) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 3:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oury,
I messaged you earlier, but I'll post here too. The clutch is your standard 1" centrifugal type clutch, linke on go-karts. It's mated to an 11 tooth sprocket (I think 11). The drive sprocket is 60t.

-Steve

By Steve (kingskrew) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 3:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Jeff!

By Kevin aka Chino (big_xstar) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 3:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Waiting, waiting, waiting.
Ok. damit I wanna go too.

By Bryan Howell (tahoe_bryan) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 3:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
steve. . . i love you. may I have your babies?

By Steve (kingskrew) on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 8:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bryan, you have no idea how long I've been waiting for you to ask me that...

By Nathan Hudson (iamnathanhudson) on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 9:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
thats freakin awesome....how much did it cost to build the thing. i want one.

By David D (wakeguru) on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 9:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That looks like a good spot for the winch...you could build a little ghetto slider for accross that point that sticks out and then just stuff it in the woods until you return.

By Kenneth Land (bulletlines) on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 8:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry to keep this thread going, but I need some input. We are developing a new winch cable to add to our product line. We are planning on selling 1200' reels of coated spectra (just like the A-line). I'm trying to get an idea of what people are paying for winch cable, and feature input would be appreciated.

What is going to set our cable apart from anything else is the cable will glow. I have been told that the cables are hard to see when used in the surf; we have solved the this problem with a patent pending luminate technology.

Spectra is very suseptible to UV damage and abrasion, so we are using the coated line.

Thanks for the input.

Ken Land
Bullet Ski Lines
www.bulletlines.com

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 8:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm looking at $.13-.15/ft. for 12 strand dyneema (sp?). If you can come up with something better, guickly, let me know... I'm looking for 1000'-1500'

-Blake

By brian K. smith (bksmith) on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 10:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
blake was Jim able to help you out?

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Brian,

I'm very close to (possibly) buying his line. He's sending the samples in the mail, that's all I'm waiting on. Thanks for the help!

-Blake

By Brian Rothchild (rothy) on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
This thing is starting to look like those New Jersey riders thread. Gunna be out at San V this weekend Blake? That Fat Seat did make the wake huge! You should give it a shot.

By KG (wakescene) on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
oh a teacher that moonlights as a comedian...funny!

Jersey RULZ!

Thats a sweet winch too!

Just playin Brian, no harm no foul! Was actually kinda funny to see that at the end of the thread!

By Jim (jim_b) on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 5:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Everyones talking about New Jersey. Gotta Love It.

By Kenneth Land (bulletlines) on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 7:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blake,

Our cable will be about .20 per foot, but we are not just making a generic spectra rope. We are making something that will work in the surf and withstand the elements. 100% dyneema will not last unless you take really good care of it.

Thanks,

Ken Land
www.bulletlines.com

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 8:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kenneth,

Here's your chance... Let's hear your spiel. What's different about your rope?

-Blake

By Steve (kingskrew) on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 1:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post

quote:

Everyones talking about New Jersey. Gotta Love It.

For the record, I don't think I ever mentioned New Jersey.

until now...

-Steve

By Ty (wakeandsnow27) on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 2:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
need more riding pics.
is that white chevy bagged?

By Blake Hughes (blake_hughes) on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 2:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ty,
We'll have plenty-o-pics after our road trip to Texas. My dad has a crap ton of wood, so I'm planning to build a rail, and hopefully a kicker, to hit simultaneously.

Steve's truck isn't bagged, it's mostly ghetto .

-Blake

By Steve (kingskrew) on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 3:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My truck is very ghetto and very bagged.

We're hoping to get a bunch of pics and vids up soon.

-Steve

By ryan kleefisch (leykis1o1) on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 8:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
is it illegal to wakeboard using a winch in a 5mph zone?

By scott a (scott_a) on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ryan- i guess so. there's a lake up here with a speed limit of 15mph, and we figured that meant only boats. the spot was siiick, so we decided to winch it and then the rangers drove by one day and gave us the boot. laaaaame!

By ryan kleefisch (leykis1o1) on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
yes but did they write you or warn you of the law it was you broke?

By scott a (scott_a) on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
um...yes, they did tell us that we were going faster than the posted limit, or at least that was their interpretation of that law. depending on the wording of the posted sign/law i suppose we could protest/question it, but ive got more worthwhile things to do than question those who'll write me tickets. we have moved on to better, non-bust spots, and we can always go back there in the winter when there are no rangers on duty.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2010, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com