Tank buster kit from wakemakers-2005 ... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles » Tank buster kit from wakemakers-2005 Sanger V215 « Previous Next »
By Dave Kiehl (dave27) on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 7:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So I will be pulling out my rear stock tanks out of my 2005 Sanger V-215. I will be replacing them with bags that can hold up to 750lbs. I know they wont fill all the way, but I am only looking for about 650lbs out of them. What ever I come up short by I will compensate with lead. I will post pictures and issues as I perform this task. I will be getting the stuff by the 15th. I will keep you posted.

By DW (camassanger) on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 11:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Awesome Dave - shoot some pics. I am going to do this too, just as soon as the stereo is done...

By Dennis (dennish) on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 3:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Why do you think the bags will only fill part way. Another thread on here said almost 1100 lbs I think. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/769110.html?1264573727

By Dave Kiehl (dave27) on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 10:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dennis, I measured my compartment and found that the standard bag that wakemakers sells will not quite fit in my locker, I expect to get about 650lbs in a not totally full bag. But that is just a guess.

this a my drawing with rough dimensions. Now that my tanks are out I can really get an accurate measurement.

Upload

This is the kind of weight I am going for.

Upload

Here are some pictures of me taking out the tanks. It was not hard, but it was physically tough. It was hard pulling the hoses off. Make sure you remove the top fittings to get the tanks out. Also remove the aluminum brackets. It took me an 1.5 hours. I can do it faster next time now that I know what I am doing.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

By Dave Kiehl (dave27) on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 10:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I will follow up with more info after I get my bags installed. I expect them Wednesday the 17th.

By Dennis (dennish) on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 5:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Based on those dimensions above 27 x47x 23 = 1054#

By Harold Hemming (h20king) on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 6:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you are using the spa hose like the boat came with use a heat gun to heat up the hose this makes it much easier to install the fittings

By Harold Hemming (h20king) on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 6:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
noticed opening in the locker you could have some sacs like these madeUploadI just installed a set in my falcon v

By Dave Kiehl (dave27) on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 8:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dennis,

I am buying custom bags, I am getting a bag that is 50x20x20. I am not sure how full it will get, but if it gets really full than I will be totally happy.

Harold, the heat gun works great. I have done that in the past. As for the bag you pictured, I wish that would fit, but that thing is bigger than the whole boat, LOL. But seriously, it would not fit.

I checked the wakemakers site yesterday, and for some reason they have not shipped my bags yet? They must be back ordered. When I originally ordered the bags, I was told I was going to get them by the 12th. Now who knows when?

Dave

By Harold Hemming (h20king) on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 6:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
the bag body is 50x20x20 and the arm is22 long 20wide and 10 high and runs forward under the seats in an opening similar to yours not much larger than what you want to install. my boat is only 20'9" I ordered my custom sacs from wake outlaws $634 for two custom sac's and one inch fittings

By Dave Kiehl (dave27) on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 8:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
FYI, the intake and vent hoses are 1 1/8" and the drain hose is 3/4". I thought that was weird. I would have thought they would all be the same size or at least the vent hose be the smallest. Also, I noticed my buddy's 2009 V215, his ballast pumps are located in a different spot than my boat. Which might make the new bags interfere with the location of the 2009 V215 pumps? I wish I had a picture for you?

By Harold Hemming (h20king) on Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 9:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
1 1/8" I think fly high comes standard with 3/4"but can be ordered wit larger fittings.are they left over's just gutted my system and redid the hole thing using reversible pumps and checks so water is pumped over the side.I did a thread on centurion crew titled falcon v custom ballast install complete with pics Upload

By Isaac Gredinberg (extremeisaac) on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 11:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
so dave.. with the bags full in the back, you will lose all your storage space in the back compartments? where do you store all the vests, helmets, extra handles etc with 750lb sacs in the rear?

By DW (camassanger) on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 12:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dave, Looking forward to the pics. Off topic question for you: why is your boat on jack stands in the garage?

Harold, that looks awesome!

By Dave Kiehl (dave27) on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 11:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Isaac, I will be loosing the much needed storage space. Especially for the anchors and tool box. But I love the big wake so it is a sacrafice I am willing to make. I will still have a little bit of storage on top of the bags. I will post pictures when I get to that stage.

DW, My boat is on jack stands to make sure any water that seaps through the cover drains out.

By DW (camassanger) on Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 1:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
oh. lol, looks like its in the garage...

By Dave Kiehl (dave27) on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 8:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok guys, I got the kit on Friday and this is what one side of the kit looks like and comes with.

Upload

I then took the bag to the boat and found that I really just need the 1 1/8" elbows/quick disconnects for the water fill and vent. As for teh drain line the kit came with a straight hook up which will not work perfect.

Upload

Sorry for the blurry picture, at any rate this part needs to an elbow. Then it would be perfect.

There is now need for any additonall hoses as supplied for my kit. All the stock hoses have enough lenght to make great connections. I will be getting in touch with wakemakers to get the required 90 elbow fitting. By the way this fitting needs to be a 3/4" not a 1 1/8" like the fill and vent.

Here is a picture of the coupling between the bag and my stock house.

Upload

After I get this part all will be super easy to install. The only issue I see now is a full ballast bag will be pushing against these bolts.

Upload

I think I will just lay 2 pop bags against them to protect the bag?

Thats all for now.

Dave

By DW (camassanger) on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 10:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
So, Dave, is that a custom bag?

I'd lay a piece or two of carpet over those bolts, dont wanna pop the pop bags...

By Dave Kiehl (dave27) on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 12:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not a custom bag, it is a stock bag. I am still think about what I can do to protect my bag against those bolts.

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 1:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would cut a piece of wood in a block and drill out holes the right size to press over the bolts. You could epoxy and paint the wood black and it would look ok.

By Dave Kiehl (dave27) on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 3:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am thinking a yoga block (hard foam) and cut it to size.

By Harold Hemming (h20king) on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 3:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
large rubber vacuum caps over the ends of the bolts will do the trick

By Ryan Wentz (ryanw209) on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 3:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Dave are you going to brace the walls that separate the compartment from the engine? I'll be excited to see this all done so I can order mine!

By Dylan Callahan (jumpit13) on Monday, February 22, 2010 - 4:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did the same thing to my 2005 V215 last August had 2 issues the bolts (cut the extra off and put a wood block hole for the nuts , the other was bag would drain out the fill pump and syphon out drain because drain is lower then top of the bag. I solved the 1st problem check valve and the 2nd by routing the drain line and vent line as high possible. I might go with a reversable pump to get rid of 1 pump. But it works for now.

By Dave Kiehl (dave27) on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 8:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I will cut the bolts short for sure, I like the high density foam idea. Although a piece of wood would work too. I have had problems with my stock tanks losing water so I can see why a check valve would be needed. Does anyone now of a good one that is not a gravity type that will not impact the flow of the ballast pump to much?

As for the syphon issue, I will see what happens.

Last, for strengthening the sides of the engine compartment, I don't know if you really have to do much there. If it bows into the motor, who cares? But if I feel there is an issue there, I have a couple of ideas. I will keep you posted.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2010, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com