What Trailer Tires do you prefer?? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles » Archive through June 28, 2009 » What Trailer Tires do you prefer?? « Previous Next »
By Jim Aikins (ccryder) on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 10:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My wife just called me and is changing a blown tire on our trailer 2 1/2 hours away from home. The trailer originally came with Carlisle's, which all had blowouts over a couple years. I replaced each with a variety of different brands depending where I was at the time, BigO, American tire, Les Schwab trailer duty tires. I don't really tow my boat that many miles a year, probably 5000 miles or so. I think I have had 9 tires replaced over 7 years, 4 of which have been blowouts. Seems like a lot to me. Any good recommendations?

By Bu Coo (brett564) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 3:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The vast majority of trailer tires are rated at 65 MPH. It sounds like either you're traveling to fast on the highways, or maybe your leaving your tires in the sun when at storage and they are deteriorating. 9 tires in 7 years sounds like driving over the rated speed. I learned the hard way on that one.

By George Aslinger (mobv) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 6:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have had 3 boats over the past 8 years all with Goodyear Marathon tires, several trips from Chattanooga to Florida, lots of towing in east TN and I have never had a tire failure. One flat from a nail.

By Jay T. (wakebrdjay) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 7:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tire pressure is sometimes to blame also.Correct pressure is more important with trailer tires than with auto tires.If I am traveling more than 25-30 miles I make sure to check and adjust tire pressure before heading out.No flats in 19 years of towing

By salty87 (salty87) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 7:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
i don't buy carlisle's. they came with my trailer and didn't last long with very few miles on them. no storage, year-round use.

whatever you go with, check the date code on them and make sure you're not getting tires that have been sitting around forever.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 8:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Goodyear Marathons, never had a problem with mine.

By Razzman (razzman) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 8:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
X2 on the goodyears

By David B. (dabell) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 8:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had Goodyear tires on my first boat and had great experiences with them. My current boat has Cooper tires and they are also just as good. From what I have read Carlisle tires suck arse!!!!

By Clint (ttuclint) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 8:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Carlisle Radial Trail tires are good, the bias ply's are the crap ones.

By SEAN DEAN (05elitevc4) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 9:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just put a set of Towmaster Trailer Radials on my trailer. They came from Americas Tire Company. They were a good deal because they price matched other tire houses so I made them all bid back and forth..saved a little over 25% doing that. Previously I had the stock bias plys on for four years. I didnt trust them but luckily never had a problem either.
I agree firmly with what most have said. Pressure maintenance is really important, then speed. I cruise with the boat. Usually about 60 on the freeway tops.

By Cal (phenom_1819) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 11:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Blown Carlisle's, never blown a Goodyear Marathon. Only had about 200 miles experience with Towmaster's on my Supra before I swapped them for Marathon's.

I second the tire pressure comments. Since nobody has said specifically -- they need to be at 45-50 lbs of pressure. Seems like the most common blowout mistake I've heard is boat-owners thinking their tires are over-inflated, decreasing the pressure, running them at 33 (like they do in their cars), and blowing out.

By hairbandude (slipknot) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 11:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Last year I had two blowouts on the same tow, Goodyear Marathon's, now that I don't tow anymore I went with the Carlisle's. The Marathons would have had to have been low on pressure right?

By Paul Brothers (phat_in_cincy) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 11:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
'04 (ish) Goodyear Marathon with less than 2hrs travel on it pictured below. Pressure at max inflation (cold) per spec requirement.

I put this tire on before starting a trip home because the one I took off was causing trailer shake.

I have 2 new (I think they made some changes) Marathons on now. No problems, but I'm leary. Between 2 boats (both single axle trailers) I've had 3 Marathon failures. The first had a half golfball sized bubble in the same area as the blowout in the picture. The 2nd was the busted belt. The 3rd is below.

Perhaps me operating closer to max tire load rating and/or running above 65mph caused some of the issues. So I'm not trying to start a debate, just stating my experiences.

Some people (trailer / RV sites) have stated good results with Denman Tire.

EDIT: I would NOT set my pressure based any broad statement what tire pressure should be. You should find YOUR SPECIFIC trailer and tire specs and inflate accordingly. For example: my trailer says 65psi cold, which is what the tire max load capacity inflation is. If I ran lower, I'd be setting myself up.

Upload

(Message edited by phat in cincy on June 10, 2009)

(Message edited by phat in cincy on June 10, 2009)

By lakeski (lakeski) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 5:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check your valve stems for dry rot. A failed valve stem will cause a blow out.

By Jim Aikins (ccryder) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 6:45 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for all the input. I keep my boat in the garage, so weather shouldn't be a factor. I will check pressure regularly, but when I do they are in the operating range which is higher than the standard 30-35 psi. I am usually around 60-65 on the freeway, but the majority of the miles is below that speed for short trips. I am assuming they replace the valve stem with each tire so with all the tires I have gone through, it seems the valve stems would be OK. Seems like the majority like the Marathon which is also a radial compared to all the other trailer tires I have had. Thanks again for all the input.

By Ryan Rantz (airrantz) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 8:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Goodyear Marathons had a recall from a plant in the west coast I think. I had three tires separate similar to the pic above on my 2003 trailer in a month (two on the same trip). I seem to remember reading that water would get trapped between the belts and the tread and expand with heat causing the separation. New set of Les Schwab tires (same exact tread as the Marathons) with no problems.

By Greg Bodor (gti2lo) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 6:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have some "hi-run" tires made in china... so far so good and they are cheap too...

popular amoung horse trailers and such...

By Jman (jmanolinsky) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 7:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Care must be given to trailer tires when towing. Hitting potholes or catching curbs even at slow speeds can break the belts in these tires. You are then all set for a blow out. As mentioned above, proper inflation is crucial to the life of the tire as well.

By Andrew"Jet"Mitchell (andrewjet) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 7:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Don't buy trailer tires..they aren't strong enough. Regular radials are all you need. But, trailer tires heat up alot. So I lower my pressure about 10 lbs below whats recommended..then when they heat up they build back up to their recommended air pressure. I'm on my 3rd set in 14 years. I just replace when they start looking old. Jet

By salty87 (salty87) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 7:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
seriously? ^^

trailer tires heat up when they aren't inflated properly. pressure should always be checked when the tire is cold....did i wake up on a different planet this morning?

By Andrew"Jet"Mitchell (andrewjet) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 9:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
OK let me be more clear. I'm still asleep. Any kind of trailer tires (radials or trailer tires) heat up alot due to bouncing and flexing. They can gain 5-10 lbs due to heat (dallas)easily. My boat buddy has the same boat as me and in one summer he went through like 4-brand new trailer tires, are they bias-ply?? while my used (5 year old)radials just kept going and going. Its best to check them HOT that way you can adjust them to where you want them to end up (35 lbs) rather than checking them cold and guessing where they will end up.

By chris (rio_sanger) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 9:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The cold inflation pressure is stamped right on the tire.
This is what you should go by, it takes into account that tires will gain psi when temperatures increase...

By ed (elc) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 9:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Maxxis 10 ply trailer tires were recommended to me, so I tried them after I blew a carlisle last year. I have towed about 2500 miles since they were put on the trailer and am happy with them.

By Shawn (helinut) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You know... I shouldn't have read this thread yesterday. Ended my day with my first flat tire on my boat trailer! Looks like a screw or something large punctured it.

Anyone know where to find the rims that come with the Extreme trailer that Malibu typically uses? I have one in my profile picture. Les Schwab didn't have an exact match, plus they said the tires that came with the boat are 6 ply 14 inch rim low profile tires. They are the highest ply rating you can get in that size from what they say.

By Jim Aikins (ccryder) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 12:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry to mess you up Shawn.. This is ending up to be quite a discussion and I am doing some research now on ply's, load ratings etc. The comment on the 10 ply above looks like it is available for a 15" rim, but I think my stock rims are 14". This size of tire seems to have a max load rating of around 1,870 lbs. So a tandem axle is good for about 7500 lbs. I wonder how many boats/trailer combos are close to this max? I am guessing my old style SAN w/ trailer is about 5500 lbs, then gas and misc in boat maybe another 500 lbs so about 6000 lbs. I have heard not to use standard auto radial tires on trailers, so what is different with trailer radial tires?

By Clay (cla10beck) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 2:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Also look at load range. For my trailer, C load range would work, but I use D load range for the extra strength and piece of mind.

By Tim M. (fast355) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 4:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If your trailer is a tandem axle, be sure your trailer is close level when towing.

If you are towing with the nose low, the front axle tires can overheat from the load and are more prone to fail...

By freshtracks (freshtracks) on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 12:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
MAXXIS.

By nu bu (05mobiuslsv) on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 12:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Shawn discounttire sells them.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com